Do newer Gibsons have different wiring?

bluesboy

• Members

the new standards are wired to a circuit board instead of the normal way to the pots, they also have a clear cover on the electronics so you can see it, and an ugly neutric jack, and locking tuners. wasn't a fan prefer the traditionals at the moment.

• Members

It has pots and the wiring setup is the same but the pots are mounted to a pcb and the pickups wire on to that kinda like what ebmm do. It's cleaner and easier to change pickups and makes a lot of sense but whether it'll last as well is another matter.

Overall though I wasn't keen on it, I really liked the new traditionals I tried but I don't like the asymetrical neck and chambered les pauls just feel wrong, I get there easier but a les paul is meant to be heavy imo.

• Members

What the {censored}!? No pots, just a circuit board?!

thats what i said... i don't believe it for a minute. pots are as simple a tech as it gets, and it's hard to get CHEAPER than a wiper on a carbon disc..

the wiring HAS changed-- check out the differences in wiring on the gibson site- or any of the 'les paul wiring' entries on google. the '57s were different and sounded different because of their wiring too-- not just magical pickups or wood!

• Members

thats what i said... i don't believe it for a minute. pots are as simple a tech as it gets, and it's hard to get CHEAPER than a wiper on a carbon disc..

the wiring HAS changed-- check out the differences in wiring on the gibson site- or any of the 'les paul wiring' entries on google. the '57s were different and sounded different because of their wiring too-- not just magical pickups or wood!

This is getting ridiculous. I'm sure it made the automation process easier in the long run, even if it seems more complex to us regular folks. :idk:

Makes me wonder if my '07 SG has a gat damn circuit board in it. :facepalm:

• Members

go to the gibson site, click on a les paul standard, click on the 360

• Members

This is getting ridiculous. I'm sure it made the automation process easier in the long run, even if it seems more complex to us regular folks.
:idk:

Makes me wonder if my '07 SG has a gat damn circuit board in it.
:facepalm:

A screwdriver + 5 minutes = wonder no more :wave:

• Members

This is getting ridiculous. I'm sure it made the automation process easier in the long run, even if it seems more complex to us regular folks.
:idk:

Makes me wonder if my '07 SG has a gat damn circuit board in it.

pop yer back cover off!

• Members

Spent some time yesterday at the store with my 2204 Clone and a few Les Pauls (I know the owner).

LOVED the Traditional, didn't care for the new Standard at all.

The Traditional is everything a LP should be, it's also cheaper :facepalm:

I like my Gibsons heavy...

• Members

Spent some time yesterday at the store with my 2204 Clone and a few Les Pauls (I know the owner).

LOVED the Traditional, didn't care for the new Standard at all.

The Traditional is everything a LP should be, it's also cheaper

I like my Gibsons heavy...

My traditional is :love:

• Members

i wonder how expensive/pain in the ass it will be to replace the PCB boards... for example if something goes bad in it and it's impossible to pinpoint the problem, and the only option is to replace the whole thing. Like will Gibson start producing spare "aftermarket" PCB boards, like the knobs and toggle switches, etc?

• Members

thanks for all the replies folks. what i heard was there was some sort of PCB in there somehwere... apparently its true. i was just curious is all.

Only on the new Standard

I like fiddling with my guitars, so this makes me :facepalm:

The pot seems to have the shaft passing through the PCB.

Hopefully they can be purchased separately easily and in different values.

The long shafts on LP pots already makes it a bit more expensive to replace

... yes I have one that I need to replace on my 2000 Standard right now, Gibson branded pots are 8 {censored}ing bucks!

(Knocked the guitar on a table corner...)

Archived