Time for a new computer, MAC OR PC?

Chrisjd

• Members

I've used PC's for the past 20 years and never had a problem with them. When my computer died 3 months ago (it literally went up in smoke :eek:), I refused to buy a new one because I hate Vista. Microsoft defintely took a step backwards. I could've bought a new PC and just installed XP, but I thought I would give Mac a try and so far so good. I'm really diggin' the Mac world.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love my 15" MBP but the battery is fail

I can't to this day understand why they cheaped out on the bettery.
:mad:

How long do you get on a battery? I get a good 3.5 hours on my 15" MBP. Same as when new. According to iStat, my battery is 91% good.

My Mom's brand new Sony VIAO on the other hand w/ the same specs gets around 2 hours. Its pretty bad.

• Members

How long do you get on a battery? I get a good 3.5 hours on my 15" MBP. Same as when new. According to iStat, my battery is 91% good.

Part of it is user error on my part. I kept it plugged in constantly in the beginning...so I shot my own battery to hell.

But it is a common criticism of the MBPs from professional and ave Joe reviews. To be fair, part of it is user error as in my case.

• Members

I always considered MACs to be high end computers that are best for

photography / music / video that the pro's use and PC's are for game weenies like me LMAO

Only the Macbooks (not Pro and Air) have inferior displays to most PC laptops, the Firewire chip is some cheapo that may cause problems, some of the display adapters have problems and so on. There isn't anything particularly high end about Macs and the programs used for professional work are the same for both Windows and OSX. Well, except Adobe software nowadays is even worse on OSX than it is on Windows.

Apple has great designs but it's a shame they don't always follow them with great materials. Not that any PC is any better built either.

The best things about OSX to me are easy program installation (which isn't a very uniform experience though) and better keyboard shortcuts. Quicklook is also a really great feature that I'd love to have on Windows. Apart from those things I prefer Win7 for pretty much anything.

• Members
I love the butthurt than ensues in these "Macs are too expensive but I have 2 Diezels and an SE" rants
:lol:

j/k I
:love:
you all. Even if some of you are gingers or Candian.
:o

Ask the OP why he drives a Saab.

A Chevy Cobalt does all of the same things that his Saab does at a fraction of the price.

• Members

Ask the OP why he drives a Saab.

A Chevy Cobalt does all of the same things that his Saab does at a fraction of the price.

A base model Saab starts at $30k.

A base model, similarly equipped VW Jetta is $17k.

Apparently overpaying thousands for a car is nothing compared to spending a couple hundred more on a laptop.

• Members

Kind of makes sense to me.

A good MAC is $$$ no matter what. New or used

I always considered MACs to be high end computers that are best for

photography / music / video that the pro's use and PC's are for game weenies like me LMAO

I did not know they held their value that well
:cop:

They do pretty well, but again, is it worth it? Same parts, same materials, different os. In the end it's just a name and a device that gets you from point a to point b. For me, as a designer and web developer I need to have a windows machine and a mac machine, so why not get two for the price of one. :D

• Members

But why do I keep hearing about Mac people having this software that lets them use windows on their mac? Why would they be bragging that they can use windows on their mac?

That's another reason I didn't want the mac. I didn't want to have any reason to have to use windows. I just want to use one thing.

• Members

But why do I keep hearing about Mac people having this software that lets them use windows on their mac?
Why would they be bragging that they can use windows on their mac?

That's another reason I didn't want the mac. I didn't want to have any reason to have to use windows. I just want to use one thing.

Spend a little more, and have the ability to use either operating system. Use OSX the majority of the time, and if you run across something that *has* to be done in Windows you can boot into Windows long enough to complete the task.

• Members

But why do I keep hearing about Mac people having this software that lets them use windows on their mac? Why would they be bragging that they can use windows on their mac?

As great as MacOS is, not everything supports it of course. I use VMware to run WindowsXP where i do a lot of embedded system dev stuff. The dev environment and tools are for Windows. Its also handy for random things like for example i need to use a Dell all in one machine to scan something the other day. Dell of course only has Windows drivers so i just booked up WinXP in VMware (takes maybe 20seconds) and i scanned my stuff there.

While i primarily use Microsoft Office for Mac, the Windows version is a bit better, especially Excel. So if i need to use some heavy macro or VB stuff in Excel, i use the Windows version.

I'm dual booting with Win7 just to play with it. It is pretty slick, btw.

The point is flexibility, simple as that.

• Members

Spend a little more, and have the ability to use either operating system. Use OSX the majority of the time, and if you run across something that *has* to be done in Windows you can boot into Windows long enough to complete the task.

Or you could just use windows all the time? lol jk

I mean I see the point in a mac. I've used one before but never owned one. I liked it but I didn't like it enough to justify the price.

I see your point about the price of a car but I guess some things are more important than others. I'd rather have a decent car rather than have a chevy cobalt or something. But when it comes to computers I don't see myself paying like 3 grand for a laptop.

I paid 1500 for a toshiba one time and I said I'd never do that again.

I paid 729 for this hp and I'm more than happy. I mean it's really fast and does everything I need it to. Although Mac's are more for some people.

I'd say Mac is a lot easier and a lot more stable. You probably run into a lot less problems with them. But for me that isn't worth 2 thousand dollars more than this. Because if I got one I wouldn't want the 13 inch screen. I'd want one with some decent specs too.

• Members

A base model Saab starts at $30k.

A base model, similarly equipped VW Jetta is $17k.

Apparently overpaying thousands for a car is nothing compared to spending a couple hundred more on a laptop.

The original poster bought his Saab barely used and got it for a ridiculous price with a 100k warranty, with every option, certified by saab.

The original poster also thinks Saabs look a million times neater and classier than vw jettas.

• Members

The original poster bought his Saab barely used and got it for a ridiculous price with a 100k warranty, with every option, certified by saab.

The original poster also thinks Saabs look a million times neater and classier than vw jettas.

Did you check out the HP bronze series? They got about every option you could want. Check out the one I posted.

They got one for 999 that has more than mine has. Has bluray in it too. If you get an AMD processor you can go cheaper but I didn't want that.

• Members
Or you could just use windows all the time? lol jk

I mean I see the point in a mac. I've used one before but never owned one. I liked it but I didn't like it enough to justify the price.

I see your point about the price of a car but I guess some things are more important than others. I'd rather have a decent car rather than have a chevy cobalt or something. But when it comes to computers I don't see myself paying like 3 grand for a laptop.

I paid 1500 for a toshiba one time and I said I'd never do that again.

I paid 729 for this hp and I'm more than happy. I mean it's really fast and does everything I need it to. Although Mac's are more for some people.

I'd say Mac is a lot easier and a lot more stable. You probably run into a lot less problems with them. But for me that isn't worth 2 thousand dollars more than this. Because if I got one I wouldn't want the 13 inch screen. I'd want one with some decent specs too.

I'm not too concerned with what people buy for their home computing needs.

I'm just laughing at someone that is willing to pay a premium for a border line luxury car, and constantly whines about Macs being overpriced.

If computers aren't that important to him, he sure doesn't act like it on here. He is in every Mac vs. PC thread shouting how overpriced they are. That's why I think this was just a thinly veiled troll thread.

Also I'm still laughing at him for buying an overpriced GM piece of {censored}, and telling Mac users they spent too much on a personal computer. :)

• Members

Did you check out the HP bronze series? They got about every option you could want. Check out the one I posted.

They got one for 999 that has more than mine has. Has bluray in it too. If you get an AMD processor you can go cheaper but I didn't want that.

I looked at yours and it looks really nice, that has plenty of options for me. the design looks really sleek, without random bumps and bulges....

• Members

This poster thinks the OP is wrong. Saabs are ugly, overpriced, GM pieces of junk.

Kia offers a 100k mile warranty and brand new they cost less than a used Saab.

• Members

for what its worth chris, im a car dealer and i buy and sell jettas and saabs every week, jetta's are pieces of {censored}. I would take a 9-3 aero all day over a piece of {censored} vw. every automatic vw i see from 96-01 have bad {censored}ing trannies, every one of em! plus, 9-3's drive great and handle really well too.

• Members
I'm not too concerned with what people buy for their home computing needs.

I'm just laughing at someone that is willing to pay a premium for a border line luxury car, and constantly whines about Macs being overpriced.

If computers aren't that important to him, he sure doesn't act like it on here. He is in every Mac vs. PC thread shouting how overpriced they are. That's why I think this was just a thinly veiled troll thread.

Also I'm still laughing at him for buying an overpriced GM piece of {censored}, and telling Mac users they spent too much on a personal computer.
:)

I never knew the exact dollar figures on what macs cost, and I never knew you had to spend 2k just to get into something with a 15" screen, something that HP offers for around $500 dollars....:facepalm:

As for you laughing at me for buying a Saab, it has been an excellent vehicle. Fast, reliable, very fun to drive, and very sharp looking. Yes, Saab is owned by GM, but my car was still built and imported from Sweden.

• Members

for what its worth chris, im a car dealer and i buy and sell jettas and saabs every week, jetta's are pieces of {censored}. I would take a 9-3 aero all day over a piece of {censored} vw. every automatic vw i see from 96-01 have bad {censored}ing trannies, every one of em! plus, 9-3's drive great and handle really well too.

I hear ya and agree fully. I like Jettas but the autos suck in a lot of them, they start to feel old after not too long. At least my sisters does and my drummers does too.

• Members

I understand the desire to own something like a BMW, Saab, Mercedes, etc...

My point was, somewhere along the line the bottom line figures don't always tell the whole story.

My Macbook with lesser specs, absolutely kills my "nice" Toshiba. Not everything is black and white.

• Members

I looked at yours and it looks really nice, that has plenty of options for me. the design looks really sleek, without random bumps and bulges....

Well, it actually feels more natural and perfect than any laptop I've used before.

If you read the CNET review they hate how the battery pokes out the back. But I like it.

It allows the laptop to be tilted a little bit and you type better. It feels natural and you don't even notice it because the laptop is really thin.

The battery also lasted me almost 8 hours last night. So, it's worth it either way.

Once you see the way it feels you'll like it a lot. The keyboard is also the best keyboard I've ever used. The touch pad is awesome and it has a button on the touch pad that turns it on and off. So, when you are using a regular mouse you can turn it off.

But even with it on the way they designed it you never hit it while typing. Atleast I don't and I have with other laptops.

the lit up media controls are touch sensitive and work good.

And most important the thing is really fast. I can have 4 programs running and click the 5th program and it will still just pop up.

Archived