Time for a new computer, MAC OR PC?

Chrisjd

• Members

I need a new laptop, my current 4 year old HP has served me well, but is getting too stuffed up and I need more power.

Things I need/want:

Big hardrive-At LEAST 250 GB

Processor that can handle having multiple programs open, such as itunes, internet explorer or safari i guess, bittorent, and maybe play a youtube video at the same time.

Decent size display(preferably 15 inches or more).

Great for the internet.

I DO NOT NEED:

Protools or any intensive graphics/editing program.

I do NOT want to spend more than about $1300.00, which I know I can EASILY, EASILY do with a pc. Is Mac reasonable enough to consider, or are their egos inflated to the point where they can't offer comparable specs for a comparable price?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

get a pc and install Ubuntu. low cost, stable, and no viruses. best of both worlds.

unlike in the 'old days', now macs and pc's share similar hardware (and CPUs) these days, its the OS and the ergonomics that differentiates them from each other

• Members

anyone who gets viruses on a pc has no idea what they are doing ... and probably qualifies for a mac, in that case.

Not entirely true...

I've got a virus on my work PC that's just kicking my ass, and I'm MORE than competent at most things pc-related. I can take care of most stuff just fine, but whatever combination of garbage I've got right now is laughing at any antivirus software and registry tweaks that I throw at it.

• Members

Apple doesn't sell a 15" or bigger screen until you move up to the Macbook Pro line. Those start at $2k, so it sounds like you'll be hunting for a PC. Good luck, man. It seems at that price point, many forumites here have great suggestions. Plus if you like windows and got 4 years out of your last machine...

• Members

I think things are changing, i also know the PC experience for me left me with a very bad taste and 20,000.... dollars loss.

Here is a small graph:

Picture2-10.png

The chart above shows that Apple has made steady gains since 2003 in the percentage of incoming UVA freshman who own a Mac. The latest year (2008) shows that 37% of incoming students owned a Mac while the percentage owning a Windows computer had shrunk to 62% from a peak of 96% in 2001. The growth tracks closely with the trend towards laptop ownership amongst the Virginia freshman. In 2008, 99% of the incoming students owned a laptop.

Hope this helps in your decision, i think more apps and better days are coming for the Mac Platform

• Members

I need a new
laptop
, my current 4 year old HP has served me well, but is getting too stuffed up and I need more power.

Things I need/want:

Big hardrive-At LEAST 250 GB

Processor that can handle having multiple programs open, such as itunes, internet explorer or safari i guess, bittorent, and maybe play a youtube video at the same time.

Decent size display(preferably 15 inches or more).

Great for the internet.

I DO NOT NEED:

Protools or any intensive graphics/editing program.

I do NOT want to spend more than about $1300.00, which I know I can EASILY, EASILY do with a pc. Is Mac reasonable enough to consider, or are their egos inflated to the point where they can't offer comparable specs for a comparable price?

Get an iMac. you can get a refurb 24" for 1299. has 4GB of ram, 650GB HD, 2.66 ghz core 2 duo and 24" of seckz. with a nvidia geforce 9400.

*EDIT*

Just noticed you need a laptop. :facepalm:

In that case,

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

• Members

{censored}ing $2000 just to get into a 15 screen on a mac?

WHO THE {censored} DO THEY THINK THEY ARE!!??? I can do that for what, $600 on a pc?

So... buy the PC :idk:

Nothing will alter the 13.3" screen on the regular Macbook to fit your needs, if you're hell bent on a 15" screen.

• Members

Malto -

Do you know if there are any good recording/sound editing suites for Linux?

That's the only thing that's keeping me from making the switch, right now.

Yep - look into a package called Ardour. There are a few others as well. People have been using Ardour with positive results. And I've heard of many audio interfaces having linux driver support as well.

• Members

The latest year (2008) shows that 37% of incoming students owned a Mac while the percentage owning a Windows computer had shrunk to 62% from a peak of 96% in 2001. The growth tracks closely with the trend towards laptop ownership amongst the Virginia freshman. In 2008, 99% of the incoming students owned a laptop.

Interesting figures, and I mean that sincerely, but I am really not swayed by a bunch of sheeple getting mom and dad to buy them whatever it is they want no matter the cost. Apple makes a good product and all, but I still hold to the fact that when these college folks have rent, a car payment, and student loan payments, and they've got to shell out their own money for a computer, their next one is much more likely to be a PC.

• Members

Too bad you didn't need a computer sooner. I just sold my 17" macbookpro for 1k. It was 2 years old, but the specs were 2.33ghz, 4gb ram, 160hd etc. Still a pretty sweet machine, but man, the imac is heaven. I like it way more than the mbp.

• Members

Yep - look into a package called Ardour. There are a few others as well. People have been using Ardour with positive results. And I've heard of many audio interfaces having linux driver support as well.

wat, wat, and WAT.:confused:

• Members

I highly recommend an mac, however, you can get a killer pc laptop for next to nothing, for example I just bought my wife an HP for 600$. The specs are, 2.1ghz core 2 duo, 4gb of ram and 250gb hd and it's a 15" screen. Pretty screaming machine and a pretty good deal. You really can't go wrong with that.

Archived