So I painted my Marshall DSL50...

TheChopsyWanker

• Members

After seeing a couple threads about painting amps, I gave in. And I'm glad I did! Although I need to make some touch-ups, I'm pretty happy with the end result. I started with masking off the handle and all of the corners, taking out the chassis, and popping off the logo.

IMG_2501-1.jpg

IMG_2502-1.jpg

Before I painted, I wiped everything down with a rag and warm, soapy water. Then I applied two coats of white Krylon Fusion.

IMG_2503-1.jpg

After applying three coats of clear-coat (again, Krylon brand), I took off the tape and hand painted the piping and Marshall logo. Pop the chassis back in and finally, a finished amp!

IMG_2504-2.jpg

For those of you who are wondering if it still has a tolex texture...

IMG_2507-1.jpg

I still might go through and paint a graphic on the wicker part of the head, but that will come later after I do some drawing. Next up...Splawn cab.

IMG_2510-1.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention...if you're looking to do yours, expect about two cans of spraypaint and a can of clear-coat. I had some acrylic laying around that I used for the piping and logo. Total cost was about $15 and a few hours of my time. Sure beats re-tolexing!

• Members

Thanks!

Adding the clear-coat really helped with durability. I would be a little nervous if it was just the paint on there. My cat actually jumped up not too long ago and dug its claws into the tolex. I freaked but didn't find any paint chips. This head is eventually going into a roadcase, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't be too worried. Adding another coat of paint and clear-coat and letting it dry overnight probably wouldn't hurt if you plan on gigging without a case. If you do happen to get a chip, touch-up is a breeze.

I think the key was adding clear-coat. It feels just like tolex and prevents the paint from rubbing off, all the while protecting it from bumps and scrapes. The part I wasn't too sure about was painting the wicker on the front. It seemed to work out just fine though.

Archived