OT: tube amps for LISTENING to music

mike-o

• Members

I have a friend who is into tube hi-fi. His system is pretty sick. Huge 300B-based power amp. His speaker cabinets are floor-to-ceiling. His speaker connectors (2 @ 6ft. long) cost more than all of the guitar & PA gear I own (over $10k).

I'd never spend that on a system but I have to admit, it sounds damn good.

• Members

So, in other words, you DO like listening to additional coloration.
:facepalm:

no, i appreciate musical harmonic and spatial presentation over artificially hyper accurate THD specifications and flat spatial presentation, neither of which sounds like music to me.

i don't listen with an oscilloscope, i listen with my ears. if that means i prefer coloration, you bet i like that better. it's music, not data, meaning it's an aesthetic experience-- so accuracy is only important if i deem it important. it's not in any way "useless" technology.

• Members

I have an old Zenith tube radio with a lot of 7 pin tubes and a couple 9 pin tubes. I prefer it to the smaller radio/CD players you can buy at the local Wal Mart or Sears. It has a much deeper, rich tone to it. If I can ever get into a house I am goin to take a RCA Victrola amp I have and use it to build a NICE Tube hifi setup to play my CDs, radio to. It runs off of 4 6V6 tubes and the typical 12ax7 Preamp tubes.

• Members

His speaker connectors (2 @ 6ft. long) cost more than all of the guitar & PA gear I own (over $10k).

So basically he got suckered into buying overpriced copper wire, like so many audiophiles. :facepalm:

I'd love to try a tube hifi setup but they tend to cost an arm and a leg. Maybe I'll stumble upon some cool old thing at a garage sale someday...

• Members
So basically he got suckered into buying overpriced copper wire, like so many audiophiles.
:facepalm:

I'd love to try a tube hifi setup but they tend to cost an arm and a leg. Maybe I'll stumble upon some cool old thing at a garage sale someday...

here it comes again.. the 'wires all sound the same' argument. awesome.

there's good-- not saying it's all good- but there's some very very good cables out there. some are cheaper, some are not. but there are differences noticeable and not.

not everyone is fooled by the bull{censored}-- but there are some very expensive cables that broadcast full range sound that are pretty spectacular that have effects on sound that are anything but snake oil. by not using your ears, just assuming they're all bull{censored}, you're doing the exact same thing by prejudging them bad instead of prejudging them better just because of cost.

• Members

I'm running a Lafayette Stereo 224 into a pair of Dynaco A25's. Paid less than $150 for them years ago. Went through the Lafayette to bring it up to snuff and I'm impressed with this combination for the $$ About a couple months ago there was a thread I think by Doug R. that talked about 6GW8 tubes. The lafayette uses them, and gets about 12 WPC. They are like a 12ax7 and a small el84 in one bottle. It wont shake the walls, but it will give you goosebumps. And the Dynaco's have AlNiCo woofers in them :thu:

Be on the lookout for old console stereos, for donor amps.

• Members

here it comes again.. the 'wires all sound the same' argument. awesome.

there's good-- not saying it's all good- but there's some very very good cables out there. some are cheaper, some are not. but there are differences noticeable and not.

not everyone is fooled by the bull{censored}-- but there are some very expensive cables that broadcast full range sound that are pretty spectacular that have effects on sound that are anything but snake oil. by not using your ears, just assuming they're all bull{censored}, you're doing the exact same thing by prejudging them bad instead of prejudging them better just because of cost.

My experience is that after you get beyond the real cheapos in cables, the differences are in things like durability, shielding etc rather than sound quality. This discussion has been done to death, but there are very few real arguments for super high price cables being worth the price. Even the manufacturers of such cables are only able to describe their superiority with unsubstantiated claims and often make their cables seem like they distort the laws of physics too.

It's a whole industry built upon placebo really. While the cables themselves are certainly great looking and excellent for their purpose, I have yet to see any evidence that the $2000 cable is any better than the $100 one.

But getting back into tube amps, do you folks reckon that something like a turntable with vinyl records is the ideal companion for those, considering the CD's digital nature?

• Members

My experience is that after you get beyond the real cheapos in cables, the differences are in things like durability, shielding etc rather than sound quality. This discussion has been done to death, but there are very few real arguments for super high price cables being worth the price. Even the manufacturers of such cables are only able to describe their superiority with unsubstantiated claims and often make their cables seem like they distort the laws of physics too.

It's a whole industry built upon placebo really. While the cables themselves are certainly great looking and excellent for their purpose, I have yet to see any evidence that the $2000 cable is any better than the $100 one.

But getting back into tube amps, do you folks reckon that something like a turntable with vinyl records is the ideal companion for those, considering the CD's digital nature?

not always, but on occasion-- listen, and there are gains to be made, assuming the resolution of your system can sustain the incremental gains of a cable. you can't always hear gains in a less than outrageous system with lesser cables.. but theres' plenty of snake oilers out there.. not to battle though.. agreed to disagree.

i love my system with a good table.. it's a pretty inspiring thing to have a great 'table and cartridge.. but a good CDP with a decent convertor is pretty gratifying too! all 'round.. with tubes just a nicer presentation to me that's got a lot more texture than a SS power amp. but theres tons of different amps too.. so just like guitar amps.. there's huge differences between circuits.

that said.. i have way more records than cd's.. but i guess i'm old too...

Archived