Speaking of Butthurt, what were the best Scams in HC history?

Lucius

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

another one here that went under the radar right about the time i joined

dc case and cabinet company used to sell racks, roadcases, etc...apparently when they started out they were doing really well, and making a good name for themselves. i did my homework and ordered a roadcase from them for my framus cobra, a few other forumites had ordered stuff around the same time...

$250 down the drain, i never got my roadcase, and since i was quoted 4-6 weeks for delivery time, i couldn't file a complaint with paypal or my credit card company. that has to be done within 30 days. shortly after that some horrible reviews started coming out about people who'd bought cases that wouldn't close/latch right, and all sorts of crap.

search up rhino amps sometime if you wanna read some more bs

• Members

I laugh at the 357 scam... People were stupid enough to believe that by buying a hundred dollar toy, they'd get a $700 guitar?

Obviously they never heard the old "If its too good to be true" rule.

this was back when guitar center would also have epic sales, where if you got there early enough you could get a $1500 prs for $99, then you had gc blowing out brand new mark IV heads for $999, and musicians friend selling new jsx heads for $799, the $200 blackout fenders with real duncans in them...

...all in all it was a good time for gear whores :lol:

357 appealed to all the folks who missed out on deals like the ones above, trying to get even...everyone knew there was a chance of it being a scam tho, but it was a little over $100 that seemed worth the risk

• Members

I laugh at the 357 scam... People were stupid enough to believe that by buying a hundred dollar toy, they'd get a $700 guitar?

Or I'm just so {censored}ing rich that I didn't care if I lost the $100!

but likely closer to what you said

Cheers, Lucius

!

• Members

That's how the scam succeeded so well, greed feeding on greed. I remember guys trying to use their gift certificates like money...shady {censored}ers. :lol:

• Members

Oh but the get rich quick crowd was all over it, ordering one of each model with their eBay auctions already lined up and ready to be listed :lol:

Lots of people dreaming about flipping those Zakk Mylde LP's on eBay, and then buying whatever the {censored} hot item of the time was. :D

• Members

Yeah, well, it's easy to throw rocks now that the dust has settled.

I got in on it. $100 is a night at the bar, so what the hell? Before I got in on it, I actually talked to Chad Dyer on the phone and had a few back and forths via email with Zakk's manager as well as the 'owner' of 357 Customs. I guess if you have a website with Zakk's picture all over it hanging out with the people associate with 357, along with personal communication with his webmaster, his manager, and the owner of the company coupled with forum postings from Zakk's wife all saying it was legit, you tend to think that maybe there really is something to it.

In the end I got my money back....I just did a chargeback through the cc company....and got to keep the little toy motorcycle. I wasn't really 'out' anything except a little bit of time.

However, on a side note, I did get some pretty extensive lulz after the fact. Andrew Bryniarski, who was in the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, had his face all over this deal. After it went south, I contacted his manager just for lulz, and the dude actually forwarded my email to Bryniarski himself. I wasn't very polite in the email, and Bryniarski blew a gasket. I had probably 10 emails back and forth from that dude where he called me every name under the sun and swore he would 'find me and crush my skull.' Every one I got I forwarded back to his management company, who would then tell him to knock it off, and then he would get even more pissed and then email me again. It went on for a couple of weeks.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members
However, on a side note, I did get some pretty extensive lulz after the fact. Andrew Bryniarski, who was in the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, had his face all over this deal. After it went south, I contacted his manager just for lulz, and the dude actually forwarded my email to Bryniarski himself. I wasn't very polite in the email, and Bryniarski blew a gasket. I had probably 10 emails back and forth from that dude where he called me every name under the sun and swore he would 'find me and crush my skull.' Every one I got I forwarded back to his management company, who would then tell him to knock it off, and then he would get even more pissed and then email me again. It went on for a couple of weeks.

:lol:

I don't understand, how was this random actor associated with the guitar scam?

• Members

Haha that's {censored}ing epic

• Members
Mega's Ibanez neck thing was pretty funny, too.

i remember thinking WTF when he claimed nothing was wrong with the guitar, but still happened to have photos where you could clearly see the back of the neck cracked...photos that he didn't show the buyer before hand

i also remember when he tried to sell his peavey supreme 160 on e bay for $2000 to by a caparison :lol:

• Members

The 357 scam was probably the biggest and affected the most people. I bit on it. It seemed very legit from official sources. It was too good to be true, but they were saying limited numbers and all that. It seemed a little fishy and I used my credit card. I got that money back with a chargeback. I also sent a check. Never did get that money back. If I ever see Chad or Zack in person, I'm gonna cock punch them.

I still got the stinking motorcycle.

• Members

I remember 357, Mega's Ibanez saga and the more recent deal when somebody pissed on this dude's guitar.

Not so much of a scam but more of a {censored}fest I remember when these guys were arguing about NAMM, Engl distribution in the US and it ended with accusations of alcoholism and what not...

• Members
i also remember when he tried to sell his peavey supreme 160 on e bay for $2000 to by a caparison

lol, I remember seeing his spam for that. It was when he was very new to the forum. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

i remember thinking WTF when he claimed nothing was wrong with the guitar, but still happened to have photos where you could clearly see the back of the neck cracked...photos that he didn't show the buyer before hand

i also remember when he tried to sell his peavey supreme 160 on e bay for $2000 to by a caparison

Don't forget him selling that Caparison with the swapped neck as an all original guitar. I seem to recall a few of the HC regulars defending him even after all the {censored} he's been involved in.

Archived