PC guys: Need a new graphics card.

Detonator

• Members

and if you want to extend the lifespan of your video card and improve stability, it might be a good idea to get a better aftermarket heatsink. my last 2 video cards both operated at around 90 degrees C under load at the stock fan speed settings, which seems ridiculously hot to me, and i had stability issues with both of them. Increasing the fan speed on those little tiny stock fans results in awful noise.

• Members

wait until october. All card prices will have a huge drop. The gtx 260 will probably be around 150$ then (its 250 right now)

Can't afford to wait. My current graphics card is causing serious stability issues with my system right now, and is probably about to kick the bucket all together.

• Members

and if you want to extend the lifespan of your video card and improve stability, it might be a good idea to get a better aftermarket heatsink. my last 2 video cards both operated at around 90 degrees C under load at the stock fan speed settings, which seems ridiculously hot to me, and i had stability issues with both of them. Increasing the fan speed on those little tiny stock fans results in awful noise.

The better choice would be to simply buy a graphics card that doesn't use the reference heatsink but a custom part. They usually don't cost any more than the cards with the reference cooling. I know at least Gainward does cards with dual fans, heatpipes and whatnot. Seems to keep the cards nice and cool without too much noise.

I would not bother with the Nvidia 8xxx or 9xxx series at the moment. I used to have a 8800GT (which is pretty close to the performance of the 8800GTS/9800GTX) and it was starting to struggle with many games in the high resolutions I use (1920x1200 and 2560x1600).

If you want Nvidia, the GTX260 is the way to go. For ATI/AMD you'd get the 4870. Preferably the 896 MB (Nvidia) or 1GB (ATI) models. They're the best bang for the buck at the moment IMO.

I went with the GTX260 because it would work with my current GPU watercooling block and would work better in OSX and driver updates seem more frequent. With the GTX260 you have to check that the card actually fits in your case though. I had to cut a piece of my Antec P150 case out because the card was about 1 cm too long. In performance the GTX260 was a big jump from the 8800GT.

• Members

As far as cooling goes, I can add a water block into the bloodstream later if heat becomes an issue. I know it's probably not a good idea, but I'm gonna see if I can snag a GTX260 used off the bay, and cross my fingers that I doesn't have problems.

• Members

I'd go with a used card if I were you. You can find lots of great deals in the classified forums at Hardforums and Anandtech.

Also look into overclocking your components. Its so easy, and you can quite a bit of performance with just a little bit of extra effort. You can often get those bang for the buck cards to near top of the line performance.

• Members

I'd go with a used card if I were you. You can find lots of great deals in the classified forums at
Hardforums
and
Anandtech

Also look into overclocking your components. Its so easy, and you can quite a bit of performance with just a little bit of extra effort. You can often get those bang for the buck cards to near top of the line performance.

Thanks for the links. :thu:

• Members

As far as cooling goes, I can add a water block into the bloodstream later if heat becomes an issue. I know it's probably not a good idea, but I'm gonna see if I can snag a GTX260 used off the bay, and cross my fingers that I doesn't have problems.

Just make sure you get the newer 216 core version and not the 192 core model.

• Members

The 8800 GT (Nvidia camp) is and excellent card and is still powerful enough to run 98% of PC games out there at the highest settings.

Extremely popular card about 2 years ago and nothing has really topped its' price-performance value even today.

You can manage one under $200 easily.

The bleeding edge graphics card out right now is only a hair faster than this and costs $350 more.

/thread.

• Members

The better choice would be to simply buy a graphics card that doesn't use the reference heatsink but a custom part. They usually don't cost any more than the cards with the reference cooling. I know at least Gainward does cards with dual fans, heatpipes and whatnot. Seems to keep the cards nice and cool without too much noise.

I would not bother with the Nvidia 8xxx or 9xxx series at the moment. I used to have a 8800GT (which is pretty close to the performance of the 8800GTS/9800GTX) and it was starting to struggle with many games in the high resolutions I use (1920x1200 and 2560x1600).

If you want Nvidia, the GTX260 is the way to go. For ATI/AMD you'd get the 4870. Preferably the 896 MB (Nvidia) or 1GB (ATI) models. They're the best bang for the buck at the moment IMO.

I went with the GTX260 because it would work with my current GPU watercooling block and would work better in OSX and driver updates seem more frequent. With the GTX260 you have to check that the card actually fits in your case though. I had to cut a piece of my Antec P150 case out because the card was about 1 cm too long. In performance the GTX260 was a big jump from the 8800GT.

:poke:

Misinformation.

The GTX260/4870 is not a big improvement over the 8xxx/9xxx series.

You can get an 8800GTS for cheap and it would be just fine. Here is a good website comparing the bang/buck equivalent for current graphics market.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2362-2.html

Thank me later.

• Members

:poke:

Misinformation.

The GTX260/4870 is not a big improvement over the 8xxx/9xxx series.

You can get an 8800GTS for cheap and it would be just fine. Here is a good website comparing the bang/buck equivalent for current graphics market.

Thank me later.

I got noticeable speed gains over the 8800GT in many games and the GTS is only a bit faster than the 8800GT I had, which I had already overclocked to GTS levels. Of course, if you're running in lower resolutions you will not see as big a difference.

• Members

I have an EXCELLENT Nvidia 9800 GTX GeForce made by ASUS that I got for only 200 on newegg. I think if you want a high end graphics card that is the top of the line, if your willing to spend that much, its a good buy.

I bought my 9800gt for like 130...like 6+ months ago.. did have to replace the fan with a aftermarket fan such as zalfan(sp?) though....original lasted 3 months but i never turn my pc off ever....just reboot it ever 2 to 3 days... lol

great card and can playmost games i have with it without any difficulty.. much better than my 6600gt i had.. irony is i took the aftermarket fan off it and put it on the 9800..compatibility of some of these fans kicks ass. works great....

Archived