This cop really is an idiot.

nerol1st

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends. I think racism is a majority with prejudice against a minority. If a majority dislikes a majority, that just makes them angry. I think reverse-racism is a minority with a prejudice against the majority.

But still, it's all semantic nonsense. Same {censored} one way or another.

Racism: 1. An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand without knowledge of the facts. 2. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.

Your rationale makes zero sense.

• Members

Racism: 1. An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand without knowledge of the facts. 2. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.

Your rationale makes zero sense.

I'm not saying it makes sense, particularly not based on textbook definitions, I'm explaining the meaning of the world when you hear it used. When people use the term reverse-racism, it is relating to a minority with a prejudice against the majority race.

• Members
Borat's suit is black ... NOT

Wait wait wait...

Barrack Obama, the first African American President in American history, held a meeting with the country's most influential African American activist and put him in charge of an organization that deals with racial equality in the educational industry, then signed him up to tour the country with the Secretary in charge of education ... and that makes him a reverse-racist?

You, sir, are an idiot.

Century i wont go that far and say its racist - BUT its kinda shady IMO, here we have our 1st black prez (ok 1/2 black lol) but he ran on a platform of hope/change, etc and uniting people and then he goes out and hires the class clown (Sharpton).. No its not the end of the world, but Sharpton is somewhat 'devisive-' and it makes you scratch your head..

And 1 other thing - Racism is Racism = STRAIGHT UP!

Doesnt matter how the majority and whos the minority, - if you dislike or have hate, bias etc on someone else based on skin color, race, etc thats RACISM, simple end of story. It doesnt matter hows majority whos minority, hate and ignorance is hate and ignorance end of story!

:idea:

• Members

I'm not saying it makes sense, particularly not based on textbook definitions, I'm explaining the meaning of the world when you hear it used. When people use the term reverse-racism, it is relating to a minority with a prejudice against the majority race.

It's that kind of thinking that leads to double standards.

• Members
Century i wont go that far and say its racist - BUT its kinda shady IMO, here we have our 1st black prez (ok 1/2 black lol) but he ran on a platform of hope/change, etc and uniting people and then he goes out and hires the class clown (Sharpton).. No its not the end of the world, but Sharpton is somewhat 'devisive-' and it makes you scratch your head..

And 1 other thing - Racism is Racism = STRAIGHT UP!

Doesnt matter how the majority and whos the minority, - if you dislike or have hate, bias etc on someone else based on skin color, race, etc thats RACISM, simple end of story. It doesnt matter hows majority whos minority, hate and ignorance is hate and ignorance end of story!

:idea:

Exactly :thu:

• Members

The problem here is that you keep assuming he actually committed the crime, while all the (sketchy, admittedly) evidence we have is that he didn't actually commit any crime. Everything points to him acting like a total jerk to the officer, but that is not a crime, regardless of what many people seem to believe. One of the lovely things about this country is that we cannot be compelled to be nice, respectful, or even cooperative to authority figures, such as police officers.*

* Yes, if there's something else that an officer has probable cause on, being cooperative will make your life a lot easier, but it's still not a crime to refuse to be cooperative.

Yep, I think he committed the crime. I don't know though. I wasn't there. But I'd say it's highly unlikely that Gates didn't say any of this. In certain states when you say certain things to a police officer it's disorderly conduct.

That really depends on the officer and how far he'll let it go. I had to do some checking on that law myself because I'm still new and didn't know exactly how it worked and I was even confused to if you could use the law for that purpose.

But, yeah even saying "{censored} you" here will get you put in jail.

It really doesn't matter what state you're in though. If you are going around saying things like that to the police you're an idiot.

• Members

Yep, I think he committed the crime. I don't know though. I wasn't there. But I'd say it's highly unlikely that Gates didn't say any of this. In certain states when you say certain things to a police officer it's disorderly conduct.

That really depends on the officer and how far he'll let it go. I had to do some checking on that law myself because I'm still new and didn't know exactly how it worked and I was even confused to if you could use the law for that purpose.

But, yeah even saying "{censored} you" here will get you put in jail.

It really doesn't matter what state you're in though. If you are going around saying things like that to the police you're an idiot.

I was told by a N.J. State cop that I could be arrested for directing profanity towards a cop.

• Members

I completely agree. If I was our President, I wouldn't have chosen Sharpton for that role, not because of racial issues, but because he is so painfully polarizing in a country that's already polarized over EVERY issue. I wouldn't have chosen Clinton as our Secretary of State for the same reason. She instills an immediate love/hate reaction, which is exactly what our country DOESN'T need right now, for pretty much everything. We need to invoke unity in American society.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think this is what lost the campaign for McCain. If you look into his track record and history, his political ideals are pretty much straight down the middle of the Dem/Rep line. Yet, he felt the need to paint himself as more conservative than he is, to try to woo the support of the traditional conservatives, which gave his opposition just enough ammo to scare away the middle ground swing voters (like myself) that decide elections in this country.

But yeah, sorry for that tangent. My point is, if you are trying to paint Barrack Obama as a racist you are an idiot. In the words of Dave Chappel, he makes Bryant Gumble look like Malcolm X. I just don't think it's an accurate assessment of him as a person or a politician.

• Members

I was told by a N.J. State cop that I could be arrested for directing profanity towards a cop.

Don't know how it is there. But all it takes is one "{censored} you" here and you can go.

I wouldn't take no one for one though. I usually let them get more irate. Sometimes I tell them if they don't stop they are going to be tased. They usually stop. And I don't even have a taser. lol

• Members

I think that's kinda CS's point. Having someone in charge of equality in a particular area, fine. But, to hire someone as controversial as Sharpton, that's a whole other thing. I'd say it's poor judgement, don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's being racist.

• Members

You could be. It's considered "disorderly conduct" or something like that.

And it sounds harsh but it makes sense. Their job is to maintain order in chaotic situations, usually in "one versus many" situations. People officers would not be able to control situations if any bystander could scream profanities in their face without repercussions.

Do some cops take it to far? Of course. Should they be penalized for it? Of course. But how hard is it to not flip off a cop when he's on duty? IMO, it is very easy to avoid getting arrested, just show some respect to the badge and the fact that these people are trying to keep your streets safe, and all will be well.

• Members

I completely agree with you. I'm not trying to defend it, just trying to explain it.

You could be. It's considered "disorderly conduct" or something like that.

And it sounds harsh but it makes sense. Their job is to maintain order in chaotic situations, usually in "one versus many" situations. People officers would not be able to control situations if any bystander could scream profanities in their face without repercussions.

Do some cops take it to far? Of course. Should they be penalized for it? Of course. But how hard is it to not flip off a cop when he's on duty? IMO, it is very easy to avoid getting arrested, just show some respect to the badge and the fact that these people are trying to keep your streets safe, and all will be well.

Yeah it's DC as far as I know. I have 4 cops in my family. All but one is a {censored}ing jerk. Power mad. They give a bad name to policemen and make it hard for them to do their job effectively.

• Members

Yeah it's DC as far as I know. I have 4 cops in my family. All but one is a {censored}ing jerk. Power mad. They give a bad name to policemen and make it hard for them to do their job effectively.

Yeah, it's a Catch-22, it's necessary for police officers to have extended rights and authorities for them to do their job effectively, but those authorities make the position attractive to some pretty awful people. Politics is the same way.

A friend of mine is a cop in a pretty unpleasant neighborhood in Brooklyn (Crown Heights), and to complicate the issue the area is predominantly black with a predominantly white precinct. Those guys are constantly in no-win situations where they're breaking up gang fights and drug deals and are dealing with people on a day-to-day basis who have no hesitation to open fire on a police officer. If they don't react fast enough and someone gets hurt, they're criticized for not doing their job. If they react too fast and someone gets hurt, they're critized for being corrupt and abusive. And regardless of what happens, every situation becomes racial. Meanwhile, these people are risking their goddamn lives on a daily basis to try to keep their streets clean.

I agree that there are police abuses that need to be dealt with, but for the most part I think cops are judged way too harshly. Partly because the media loves corruption (or the money they make when it's a headline) and partly because people hate authority.

• Members

I don't think cops are taking it too far if they arrest you for saying "{censored} you." It's like this, it's illegal to say that to anyone really. If someone wants to press charges against you cussing them they could.

And for someone who's doing their job and you start saying things like that to them, you should be arrested.

A lot of people wouldn't even get arrested if they would just be cool. And if they've done something they had to get arrested for sometimes the officer will not charge them with other things they could have if they are cool. But if they are cussing the officer he's going to book them with everything that he can think of.

• Members

No they can't. See Cohen vs California, 1971, 403 U.S. 15

Different states are different. Cursing a police officer is disorderly conduct in my state. It's not in hapless state. It is in most states from what people are saying here.

So is cursing someone out in your personal life.

And that person you just posted about was 1. not cursing anyone out. 2. In california where I doubt a police officer can even be victim of disorderly conduct.

But if someone comes and curses you out on the phone even then that's harassing communications.

• Members

Different states are different. Cursing a police officer is disorderly conduct in my state. It's not in hapless state. It is in most states from what people are saying here.

So is cursing someone out in your personal life.

And that person you just posted about was 1. not cursing anyone out. 2. In california where I doubt a police officer can even be victim of disorderly conduct.

But if someone comes and curses you out on the phone even then that's harassing communications.

That's a US Supreme Court case, it holds for every state. But I'm sure it doesn't apply to cops. All I'm saying is, you cannot be arrested for cussing.

• Members

That's a US Supreme Court case, it holds for every state. But I'm sure it doesn't apply to cops. All I'm saying is, you cannot be arrested for cussing.

Truf.

Curing someone out is fine, not fine with law-enforcement

• Members

I don't think cops are taking it too far if they arrest you for saying "{censored} you." It's like this, it's illegal to say that to anyone really. If someone wants to press charges against you cussing them they could.

And for someone who's doing their job and you start saying things like that to them, you should be arrested.

A lot of people wouldn't even get arrested if they would just be cool. And if they've done something they had to get arrested for sometimes the officer will not charge them with other things they could have if they are cool. But if they are cussing the officer he's going to book them with everything that he can think of.

That's not true for anyone. You could not press charges against someone for yelling profanity at you. But still ... I agree it is very easy to not get arrested by a cop, just don't be a dick.

When I was in high school I used to hang out at my friends house (who literally lived a block away) until all hours of the night then walk home. My parents didnt care what time it was if I was there just because it was so close. Anyway, one day I was walking back to my house at like 2a.m. with a friend. A cop car pulls up, two officers jump out and tell us to freeze and put our hands up. I stop and do what I'm told. My friend does not, so they grabbed him, slammed him down pretty hard and cuffed him. They sit me down on the curb for a good 20 minutes, interrogating me, asking questions, checking my ID etc.. I just hung out and keep my cool. Eventually they let us go. They said a pair of guy robbed a store a few blocks away and we fit the description.

Moral of the story, if you are told to do something by an office, just do it and 99.9% of the time things are going to be fine. Most of the time when people get their ass handed to them by cops, it's because they aren't cooperating. There's no reason to get aggressive with a police officer.

This case is the same. Like, it sucks that this Harvard professor had a {censored}ty day. That isn't the cops fault. He's doing his job and deserves some respect and cooperation.

• Members

I still don't understand how you arrest someone on their own porch for destroying their own property!!!

Why not ask another neighbor if this is indeed the man that lives there?

Why not call your supervisor?

And another thing -

I can't believe the neighbor didn't know what the person living next door looked like.

• Members

I still don't understand how you arrest someone on their own porch for destroying their own property!!!

Why not ask another neighbor if this is indeed the man that lives there?

Why not call your supervisor?

And another thing -

I can't believe the neighbor didn't know what the person living next door looked like.

If I recall correctly, he wasn't arrested for destroying the property, he was arrested for being disorderly.

• Members

It depends on how you do it is what I'm saying. It's not the curse word. You can't press charges because someone used a curse word NO. But if they curse at you and harass you with it then you can press charges against them.

And don't tell me it can't be done because I've seen it for really minor things. Including someone cussing someone out and harassing them on myspace.

Archived