Dudes paying/payed for college...How'd ya do it.

Brick

• Members
Not in school yet. Starting my senior year of high school wed.

I'm strongly considering going to school to become a cop. It's something I've always wanted to do. I just worry because I know I'll have a family at some point and I don't know how well that salary would be able to support them
:idk:

I'm not sure, when it comes down to it, I'd much rather have more money and hate my job than love my job and struggle paycheck to paycheck. I guess it's just different priorities for different people.

I not law enforcement, then something most likely business oriented. Not really sure on that front though, what kind of business degrees are helpful/out there?

Sorry to keep posting, but you said something that really stood out.

While I agree that it sucks to struggle paycheck to paycheck (and everyone of us non-trust fund folks have been there!), what is the point to dreading going to work? We all have to do it, but wouldn't you rather have fun.....or at least go home most nights with a feeling of accomplishment?

The key here is to find your career field. It is a wide field, but it starts to define where you want to work. For example, criminal justice is more than being a cop or a CO. You can get into forensics or rehab. You can be an IT guy decrypting deleted files off of some perverts PC. You can be a CSI or and undercover agent busting rug dealers. The field is wide open with many options. As of right now, don't set your sights on a job, but rather a career field that can provide the promotion, income, and daily satisafaction you want.

Trust me, doing a job you hate for a good salary is worse than doing a job you love for a little less.

Brandon

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Damn dude. You should have mentioned LE. I initially went into LE before joining the Army. In fact, that is the reason I joined. My goal was to go MP and get extra points on the exam and a bump on the resume. Turns out the government didn't like to use folks with FCC licenses as MP's and gave me a rather nice offer to go Signal instead.

None the less, my youngest sister just graduated from Western with her Bachelors....
Major in LE....Minor in Psych.

What year are you going into and what are you're goals? PM me and I can put you in touch with her so you can ask questions and such.

Keep your hands to yourself though.....lol....

Brandon

thats exactly what I would go for, I'll PM ya tommorrow man, thanks :thu:

• Members

While I agree that it sucks to struggle paycheck to paycheck (and everyone of us non-trust fund folks have been there!), what is the point to dreading going to work? We all have to do it, but wouldn't you rather have fun.....or at least go home most nights with a feeling of accomplishment?

The key here is to find your career field. It is a wide field, but it starts to define where you want to work. For example, criminal justice is more than being a cop or a CO. You can get into forensics or rehab. You can be an IT guy decrypting deleted files off of some perverts PC. You can be a CSI or and undercover agent busting rug dealers. The field is wide open with many options. As of right now, don't set your sights on a job, but rather a career field that can provide the promotion, income, and daily satisafaction you want.

Trust me, doing a job you hate for a good salary is worse than doing a job you love for a little less.

Brandon

I agree with this 100%. I found a career that I really love doing. I like it better than my regular life TBH. I'm not making a whole lot (enough for me to live around here) but I'm happy.

If LE is what you want to do, then I say go for it. Don't over think it. Like Brandon said, there is a wide array of jobs in the LE field. Don't just concentrate on being a street cop (unless that's what you want to do).

Also..What about NIU? I don't know what they have for law enforcement, but it is far enough from your parents to be "going away" to school, but close enough to come home on the Sundays to do laundry.

Also, my sister and brother-in-law go to St. Ambrose. I drive by that college every day on my way home from work. I was surprised to see that in the list.

• Members
I would rather
take out loans than miss out on the fun
I had the first 2 years of college. Criticize me all you want but life is meant to have fun and living at home with the folks and going to the local JC for 2 years doesn't sound fun. College is great; the people you meet, the things you do, the things you regret, they're all
well worth it the money you'll pay back later
if you ask me.

:facepalm:

...and we don't understand why our entire nation is collapsing due to excessive debt, both personal and public......

• Members
I was just told today that my funding for college will not be coming through and that I have to do it on my own. I have about $3200 saved from working that didn't get blown on gear
. As I go into my senior year, I'm kinda {censored}ting myself now. Especially considering each school I'm applying too is right around $35,000-$40,000 a year.

Tips?

Student loans, working summers...and cheap in-state state college tuition.

I went to college for 7 years (doctorate degree at Indiana University) in the 1980's and when I was finished I owed about $35,000..But since I made $150,000 a year after that I paid it off pretty fast.

I drove a bus, worked as a bank teller, dug graves in a cemetery, washed dishes in a restaurant...all sorts of odd jobs to get through

Even with all that I don't know how someone could do what I did today.
The same education today would probably cost over $100,000 (and 7-8 years of the best years of your life) And most degrees (even doctorate) don't pay near as well.

I sometimes think someone would be better off spending that time and money just opening a convenience store, pizza shop, internet business etc.

There used to be an assumption that if you just kept putting your money into mutual funds, IRAs, real estate and diversified...that over the long haul you'd always prosper guaranteed...I think nowdays people are starting to find that that isn't always true. I think the same might be true of the formula that a college education is guaranteed to make you better off financially long term.

• Members

...and we don't understand why our entire nation is collapsing due to excessive debt, both personal and public......

That's right! How dare someone have fun if he's gonig to be in debt anyway from college! How dare he actually go out and meet people!

You'd love the labour party! They've trained the entire country to be anti student! Everyone thinks they're lazy leaching commies when in fact they're working hard to get further in life only to get to the other end and be told they're being "elitist" for doing so.

{censored}ing scum like YOU is the reason we're all {censored}ed on the job front!

• Members

You're {censored}ing retarded. By going to college I'm helping society (ever heard of positive externalities?) and the debt (with interest) will be repaid once I graduate. If I default on the loans then you can talk to me, 'til then, shut your trap :poke:

• Members
That's right! How dare someone have fun if he's gonig to be in debt anyway from college! How dare he actually go out and meet people!

You'd love the labour party! They've trained the entire country to be anti student! Everyone thinks they're lazy leaching commies when in fact they're working hard to get further in life only to get to the other end and be told they're being "elitist" for doing so.

{censored}ing scum like
YOU
is the reason we're all {censored}ed on the job front!

OK, let's go back to basics:

Option 1) Work your way through school, incur no debt, and get a degree. Next step - go to grad school, get a job, or open a business - immediately solvent and contributing.
Option 2) Party your way through school, incur massive debt, and get a degree, then complain about the amount of debt. Next step, get a job (grad school or opening a business isn't an option with the heavy debt load); 5 years later, you're solvent...maybe.

The issue I have is with the idea that it's OK to borrow a bunch of money for a 4-year party under the guise of being a "student". The debt isn't required to be a student; he's just using that as an excuse to drink heavily and not hold a job. Bad decisions are bad decisions, no matter what the excuse is.

[FWIW, I had the same 4-year party; the difference is that I burned the candle at both ends and the middle, and worked my butt off so that I didn't have to take out any student loans.]

• Members

You could look at it this way too

Option 1) Go to a {censored}ty community college and take courses taught by {censored}ty teachers. Live at home under your parents care with little independence. Hate your life. Transfer into a decent school and get on with your life

Option 2) Find some scholarships and get a decent rate on students loans. Enjoy your first two years of school. Get a job and start making monthly payments, or defer your loans and go to law/med school and get a higher paying job. Consolidate loans for easier monthly payments

Now, not every community college is {censored}ty (mine is), but on that note not everyone drinks their way through undergrad. Some have enough self control to enjoy their lives without ignoring their responsibilities. And I think you're understating the importance of getting away from home. Plenty of people stay home and turn out just fine, but I've also seen plenty of people who stay home and can't bring themselves to cut the cord after that. Thats just not healthy

EDIT- I just realized you were just advocating working, not necessarily the CC/stay at home route. I just assumed based on the post you were replying to. But my point stands on enjoying college and your opinions on grad school are flat out wrong

• Members
Student loans, working summers...and
cheap in-state state college tuition.

I went to college for 7 years (doctorate degree at Indiana University) in the 1980's and when I was finished I owed about $35,000..But since I made $150,000 a year after that I paid it off pretty fast.

I drove a bus, worked as a bank teller, dug graves in a cemetery, washed dishes in a restaurant...all sorts of odd jobs to get through

Even with all that I don't know how someone could do what I did today.

The same education today would probably cost over $100,000 (and 7-8 years of the best years of your life) And most degrees (even doctorate) don't pay near as well.

I sometimes think someone would be better off spending that time and money just opening a convenience store, pizza shop, internet business etc.

There used to be an assumption that if you just kept putting your money into mutual funds, IRAs, real estate and diversified...that over the long haul you'd always prosper guaranteed...I think nowdays people are starting to find that that isn't always true. I think the same might be true of the formula that a college education is guaranteed to make you better off financially long term.

That's the problem. The cheapest in state tuition for a decent school is around $18,000 a year. :( That's just illinois for ya.

And just btw, I don't drink at all. I havea feeling that if I did, I would get into way too much trouble seeing how I find plenty of trouble sober :facepalm: So I won't be doing that through college. I enjoy a good party, I've just never needed booze to havea good time :idk:

• Members

I had a few scholarships for my first two years. My parents helped me out along with fasfa for the next two years and the final year I had to pay myself because I was just screwing around.

I worked on campus for 3 years though but honestly with what I made I couldn't afford even cheap in state tuition. I am extremely lucky to have had my parents help me because now I have no debt and a degree.

• Members

Brandon

Ya, thanks for the post. I know what you're saying, just at this point in my life, money is so important. Maybe I'll grow out of this phase soon. I feel like it just unlocks so many doors. :idk:

But at this point, law enforcement is the way I want to go.

• Members

I'm actually really pissed about this. Considering how {censored}ty a lot of CC's are, and how easy it is to get A's in those classes, there are a lot of less smart, less capable applicants pushing out recent high school grads who worked hard.

You sir, are an idiot. :facepalm:

I did terrible in high school, simply didn't care. After 5 years in the Navy and some life experience I started in a CC with every intention of moving on to a 4 year school (which I'm a senior in now) Are you suggesting that I'm less worthy of a seat here? With the grade curves in most of my classes as low as they are I can see what kind of work high school students are pushing out.

Also, how are CC students pushing out incoming freshman? Most have enough coursework to bring them in as juniors.

My GPA is just as strong now as it was in the CC.

• Members

it's not about smart.

It's about getting kids in the seats that will STAY in the seats.

If you've already made it through CC, you'll likely finish the next two years.

EXACTLY! I'm on an advisory board at one of the local CC's, and I have contacts at some of the local universities. Kids who stick it out at CC and finish their Associates Degree are far more likely to finish college and do well compared to you average kid coming out of high school. That's why they like transfer students from community colleges. When 58% of your freshman class doesn't make it to graduation within 6 years, that's a problem. When the vast majority of that 58% doesn't make it past their freshmen year, that's a HUGE problem.

And to the other poster, don't kid yourself. Many of the incoming freshman at four year universities are educationally deficient, which is why the first two years of a four year college are spent doing refresher or remedial work. Our schools do a piss poor job of educating because they still worship at the fountain of John Dewey and those who have followed in his footsteps.

• Members

I was just told today that my funding for college will not be coming through and that I have to do it on my own. I have about $3200 saved from working that didn't get blown on gear
. As I go into my senior year, I'm kinda {censored}ting myself now. Especially considering each school I'm applying too is right around $35,000-$40,000 a year.

Tips?

Centrelink/Social Security, take a year off university to earn money, get a high-paying job where you can live fairly comfortably while being taxed outta your arse..

That's how I payed/paying for going to university.

WHAT THE {censored} $40,000 a year?????? :eek:

Do you mean the degree itself? Or forty grand including textbooks/rent-living expenses/food/whatever admin fees etc?

And what university do you want to attend?

• Members

And to the other poster, don't kid yourself. Many of the incoming freshman at four year universities are educationally deficient, which is why the first two years of a four year college are spent doing refresher or remedial work. Our schools do a piss poor job of educating because they still worship at the fountain of John Dewey and those who have followed in his footsteps.

Is that why some American university students do a lot of 'general' all-rounder type subjects that are unrelated to their degree, because they can't write properly or know some history in the first place? And hence they get board doing unrelated subjects so get sidetracked and spiral down the pitfalls of, well, you know...lazy hazy crazy daze of dimwitted patheticness..

• Members
Pretty much every private university in the US costs roughly $40-50k with housing/books/food

How the {censored} are you supposed to pay for all that upfront, unless you're a rich {censored}? :confused:

I understand that opening poster's frustration now......

• Members
How the {censored} are you supposed to pay for all that upfront, unless you're a rich {censored}?
:confused:

You go to a state school, which is generally much cheaper for residents of that state? I know plenty of people who went to expensive private liberal arts colleges who are barely qualified to ask you if you want fries with your order and owe a lot of money for the privilege. That seems like a bad way to spend 4+ years of your life and $160k.

Post-secondary education in the US is mostly a racket. It's the reason for-profit schools like University of Phoenix and Capella University pop up and charge $300/credit hour for bull{censored} courses with little academic rigor.

• Members
How the {censored} are you supposed to pay for all that upfront, unless you're a rich {censored}?

ya, my top choices for school all sit right around $42,000 A YEAR. Plus books and spending money.

In state schooling is no better in Illinois either. Other than CC, the cheapest 4 year university here is around $20k a year. :cry:

• Members

Going by the financial aid standards they basically expect you and your family to devote every last penny you earn towards paying tuition. So, need based aid can be hard to come by if your family makes $80+ a year, which is pretty easy to reach if both your parents work. There are some exceptions, like Harvard and Yale, which are relatively generous, but other than that you're going to have to rely on merit scholarships and loans to cover the costs

Archived