Dudes paying/payed for college...How'd ya do it.

Brick

• Members

Even better than the state school, spend your first two years at a community college. If you are like most college students, you will change you major once or twice before you graduate anyway. Core classes are core classes, and it don't mean jack where you take them the first two years. Of course there are some exceptions to this but living at home sponging off your parents while you go to a community college vs. spending a boatload of cash to go to a private school is a no brainer.

And the above poster is right about state schools. The first year my daughter had her tuition paid in full. Her second year she was a Resident assistant in a dorm, and had free room and board. This year she is getting more in aid, grants and scholarships than she needs, so the rest goes in her pocket, which allows her to live off campus for next to nothing. It took her lots of time and research to pull this off, but if you work the system, and get decent grades, you can pull it off.

And once you have been out in the workforce for a few years, nobody gives two {censored}s about where you went to school.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't forget as well, a lot of community colleges will guarantee you entrance into a state school once you've finished your AA/AS.

Boom, no waiting list bull{censored}, you still qualify for the same financial aid, etc.

Look, man. I've spent a total of 4 years in private colleges, much to my chagrin and I have NO DEGREE.

I have a lot of credits in a lot of things, but nothing that I can turn into a piece of paper that says "congratulations, you're worth more money now".

Even should you decide that college isn't the thing for you, if you start at the community level, you can already have a degree by the time you figure that out!

• Members
no

You still got a degree in 4 years? The co op still counted as learning?

Co op is not usually counted as class time, so it does extend your time somewhat. Big schmeal, though. I ended up getting a degree in 5 instead of 4 years. If you take more classes in your "in-school" semesters, you can minimize this. Believe me when I tell you the resulting lack of debt more than makes up for the time you invest.

• Members

Working bull{censored} jobs, gigging, guitar lessons and a basic GSL for the difference. In the end after 4 yrs I owed maybe 3 grand since I paid as I went. {censored} owing ! First thing on my mind was not finding a job enough to pay student loans.

I can't believe how many I interviewed in the past that mentioned owing nearly all the amt of their student loans and asking questions about corp reimbursement plans. 50K ++ most of them in debt right out of school!

We hired as many CC grads as we did from State schools btw. We also took a keen liking to guys that supported themselves working while attending school, those in co ops, and others that served in the armed forces. IOW, don't feel bad including that 20+ hr /wk job on your resume as a stock-man or waiter.

• Members

Agreed.

My sister is currently at Columbia ($50k/year), and isn't really learning jack.

In fact, she is probably learning LESS than your average student at a public school because a lot of the professors let it be known that "Nobody gets lower than a B". At a public school, nobody gives a {censored} how many students fail, and will gladly let you. At Columbia, Profs are more concerned with Pass/Fail ratios than actually teaching.

My aunt and uncle who are both Columbia graduates and medical doctors (OBGYN and Throat/Mouth surgeon respectivly) in New York City who live on the upper east side owning a $5 million apartment and putting their 2 children through the most premiere french speaking private schools the city has to offer while making numerous mission trips to Africa, Asia, and the Middle East out of the goodness of their heart and working there for free would disagree with you.

• Members

Student loans, FAFSA, find and apply for as many scholarships as you can.

I don't know what FAFSA is, but I agree with the rest. My parents got divorced just before I went to college and didn't make much money. I had really high grades in high school and continued to maintain that in college. I took out the max student loans I could get every year and applied for all the engineering merit scholarships I could find. I'd have 4-5 scholarships each year. Lots of times different ones from year to year. I got really good at filling out applications. I went to USC and it wasn't cheap, but semester after semester, I managed to pull enough together to make it through even though I was eating top ramen noodles by the end of every semester. Sometimes, I wouldn't be able to pay my fees until right up at the deadline for the courses to count. Lost a lot of sleep over that {censored}... I ran up $13K in student loans and they had very low interest rates - 3-4% I think. Paid 'em off a few years after I graduated. I graduated college in '82 though, so I'm old - YMMV.

Steve

• Members

See the thread made by the whiny high school kid (no offense) for some caveats about CC. You may very well get {censored}ty teachers and have to bust your as to keep your grades up with not much to show for it in the end

I'm in the same boat as you, so I can tell you what I'm doing although how its going to work out is something of a mystery. First of all apply for any scholarships you can, if your parents are in a union check if they have anything available. Also, merit scholarships are your friend. If you have good PSATs/SATs that can go a long way depending on where you're going. Look into that and make sure to apply on time, sometimes they have special deadlines for scholarships

Lastly, as long as you're not applying early you can negotiate. If your first choice school gives you less money than the rest of them call up the financial aid office and tell them that, they might match the offer. It may help to apply somewhere you don't really want to go that will give you a decent amount of money.

• Members

TBH, my parents paid for the first 2 years of my university...the last 3 were paid for by yours truly. I set up a savings account and had half of every paycheque deposited into this savings account. Pretty standard? This savings account could only be accessed by making an appointement with my financial advisor, and then having to wait a week to get the money actually in.

I designed it this way so that it would be a pain in the ass to withdraw money from this account.

• Members

TBH, my parents paid for the first 2 years of my university...the last 3 were paid for by yours truly. I set up a savings account and had half of every paycheque deposited into this savings account. Pretty standard? This savings account could only be accessed by making an appointement with my financial advisor, and then having to wait a week to get the money actually in.

I designed it this way so that it would be a pain in the ass to withdraw money from this account.

{censored} that. It's called self control.

• Members

Don't forget as well, a lot of community colleges will guarantee you entrance into a state school once you've finished your AA/AS.

I'm actually really pissed about this. Considering how {censored}ty a lot of CC's are, and how easy it is to get A's in those classes, there are a lot of less smart, less capable applicants pushing out recent high school grads who worked hard.

• Members
I was just told today that my funding for college will not be coming through and that I have to do it on my own. I have about $3200 saved from working that didn't get blown on gear
:facepalm:
. As I go into my senior year, I'm kinda {censored}ting myself now. Especially considering each school I'm applying too is right around $35,000-$40,000 a year.

Tips?
:facepalm:

My bachelor's degree was paid via a pretty equal combination of 1) music scholarship 2) Parents and 3) student loans. I went to private university that was pretty pricey at the time, I cannot even fathom what it is now.

When I graduated I soon found a very thick coupon booklet in the mail. I basically paid an amount equal to a sizable car payment each month for 10 years. Only recently did I make that LAST payment.

I wouldn't want to be funding this stuff now and am glad I'm finally off the hook...oh, wait...(my 8 year-old and 5 year-old just ran past me at the speed of light) :mad: Repeat after me "529 plan 529 plan 529 plan"

• Members
My bachelor's degree was paid via a pretty equal combination of 1) music scholarship 2) Parents and 3) student loans. I went to private university that was pretty pricey at the time, I cannot even fathom what it is now.

When I graduated I soon found a very thick coupon booklet in the mail. I basically paid an amount equal to a sizable car payment each month for 10 years. Only recently did I make that LAST payment.

I wouldn't want to be funding this stuff now and am glad I'm finally off the hook...oh, wait...(my 8 year-old and 5 year-old just ran past me at the speed of light)
:mad:
Repeat after me "529 plan 529 plan 529 plan"

From the looks of the gear in your sig it looks like you had enough side cash for some fun the last 10 years :poke:

• Members

My aunt and uncle who are both Columbia graduates and medical doctors (OBGYN and Throat/Mouth surgeon respectivly) in New York City who live on the upper east side owning a $5 million apartment and putting their 2 children through the most premiere french speaking private schools the city has to offer while making numerous mission trips to Africa, Asia, and the Middle East out of the goodness of their heart and working there for free would disagree with you.

It depends on the discipline. In the 'hard' sciences, certain private schools will open doors for you. However, there are a lot of land grant and other state schools that are very strong in certain areas that private schools aren't.

I got my PhD from a state school because they gave me the most money. I applied to and got into a couple of very prestigious private universities, but the funding packages weren't as attractive. I went to a small state school instead and I've never regretted it. I've done a lot of work with so-called tier 1 and ivy league schools and I can't say that I've ever been overly impressed with the quality of students. Just because you go to a big name school doesn't mean you'll be successful, just as going to a state school doesn't mean you won't be successful. If you're going to do anything anymore, you'll be going to grad school eventually and, unless you're getting your degree from Joe's College and Tire Shop, grad schools don't care. They want a good GPA, good research work, and good GRE scores. You can accomplish just as much at a state school as you could a private school for a LOT less money.

Once in grad school, it's still all about who you are as a professional. What you publish, what you research, etc. Some of the biggest minds in my field came from small state schools, but they did good work. That's what's important.

Now, a big name degree can and will open some doors for you, but only if you're not a particularly stellar student. If you do good work, you have the same ceiling as big name grads.

Again, there will be some limited exceptions to this but, for the most part, private schools are just expensive and aren't any better or worse than a lot of state schools.

I got out with a bit over $70k in loans. I paid for every damn dime myself, and I don't begrudge anybody for it. It made me pay attention and appreciate what I was doing. There was no languishing in school taking 'Intro to Underwater Basketweaving' for three years in a row. In got in and got the hell out. I won't be paying for my kids' college, either. I'll help them with books, car expenses, and the like, but tuition and the bulk of their living expenses are their own.

With college, you gotta want it. If you don't, don't go. If the debt is insurmountable compared to what you'll make when you're done, don't go or figure out another way to make it work (military, etc.). I agree with your dad, and I'm a firm believer that it provides a kid with a lot different outlook on life when they're signing the loan forms every year.

• Members
See the thread made by the whiny high school kid (no offense) for some caveats about CC. You may very well get {censored}ty teachers and have to bust your as to keep your grades up with not much to show for it in the end

I'm in the same boat as you, so I can tell you what I'm doing although how its going to work out is something of a mystery. First of all apply for any scholarships you can, if your parents are in a union check if they have anything available. Also, merit scholarships are your friend. If you have good PSATs/SATs that can go a long way depending on where you're going. Look into that and make sure to apply on time, sometimes they have special deadlines for scholarships

Lastly, as long as you're not applying early you can negotiate. If your first choice school gives you less money than the rest of them call up the financial aid office and tell them that, they might match the offer. It may help to apply somewhere you don't really want to go that will give you a decent amount of money.

Thanks for the advice :thu:

• Members

It depends on the discipline. In the 'hard' sciences, certain private schools will open doors for you. However, there are a lot of land grant and other state schools that are very strong in certain areas that private schools aren't.

I got my PhD from a state school because they gave me the most money. I applied to and got into a couple of very prestigious private universities, but the funding packages weren't as attractive. I went to a small state school instead and I've never regretted it. I've done a lot of work with so-called tier 1 and ivy league schools and I can't say that I've ever been overly impressed with the quality of students. Just because you go to a big name school doesn't mean you'll be successful, just as going to a state school doesn't mean you won't be successful. If you're going to do anything anymore, you'll be going to grad school eventually and, unless you're getting your degree from Joe's College and Tire Shop, grad schools don't care. They want a good GPA, good research work, and good GRE scores. You can accomplish just as much at a state school as you could a private school for a LOT less money.

Once in grad school, it's still all about who you are as a professional. What you publish, what you research, etc. Some of the biggest minds in my field came from small state schools, but they did good work. That's what's important.

Now, a big name degree can and will open some doors for you, but only if you're not a particularly stellar student. If you do good work, you have the same ceiling as big name grads.

Again, there will be some limited exceptions to this but, for the most part, private schools are just expensive and aren't any better or worse than a lot of state schools.

I got out with a bit over $70k in loans. I paid for every damn dime myself, and I don't begrudge anybody for it. It made me pay attention and appreciate what I was doing. There was no languishing in school taking 'Intro to Underwater Basketweaving' for three years in a row. In got in and got the hell out. I won't be paying for my kids' college, either. I'll help them with books, car expenses, and the like, but tuition and the bulk of their living expenses are their own.

With college, you gotta want it. If you don't, don't go. If the debt is insurmountable compared to what you'll make when you're done, don't go or figure out another way to make it work (military, etc.).
I agree with your dad, and I'm a firm believer that it provides a kid with a lot different outlook on life when they're signing the loan forms every year

I completely agree with your post, and I'm the exact same way. It just sucks I've got such a large amount of money I'll have to pay off. I mean to a high school senior that kinda money is mind blowing.

• Members

I get that, it still seems like a huge amount.

Honestly, I want to be a cop, and there's a state school that has one of the top nationally ranked law enforcement programs. I think I just may do it. This thread has certainly helped though. I think financially and career wise it would be a good choice.

Archived