Alright, My Turn for a NEW Cobra Vid Using Vintage 30s

Chrisjd

• Members

The reason I asked about the eq being a boost is because I saw a youtube video once of an Engl amp, maybe a Fireball. The owner setup an eq in the loop and started off by playing with it off and then on. The amp totally came alive when he turned the pedal on, the gain was enhanced, the overall sound was tighter and the amp sounded as if it would cut through better. The sound of the amp before the pedal was blah, and after was :love:

Thanks for the clarification! Once again, great riffage!

Cole

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't one adjust the gain and the volume level with an eq in the loop?
I would think by doing this it would cause the power tubes to distort faster, and if extra gain was added (which hasn't been said yet) that would be a boost in my opinion.

When I had an MXR 10 band eq, I could adjust the two besides the tones, I never did because I didn't enjoy the sound it produced. Anyway, I still see it as a boost, unless it is strictly eq adjustment.

Cole

See "boosting" the level of the signal in the loop is just like turning up the master volume on the amp. It will make the power tubes break up more, just like turning up the amp's volume would. It's great for sucking out some frequencies and boosting others but it's different from an actual front of the amp boost.

• Members
why does everyone with a cobra play a killswitch engage riff?

This.

I puked up my Nutrigrain bar and Red Bull and will continue to puke everytime I see another Framus clip associated with KsE. I know they're responsiblie for making the Framus brand popular but {censored} people be original.

C'mon Chris, I know you got some tasty riffs up your sleeve...or maybe you didn't since you were sleeveless at the moment :p

• Members

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

Sounds sweet none the less :) I remember like 2 years ago on the internet when ever anyone would talk about KsE gear (before I joined here) everyone would say they boost all the amps with a maxon od808 except when they use the cobra because it's already so tight and compressed :idk: but I know that they've boosted the cobra before.

• Members
HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad:
:mad:

Sounds sweet none the less
:)
I remember like 2 years ago on the internet when ever anyone would talk about KsE gear (before I joined here) everyone would say they boost all the amps with a maxon od808 except when they use the cobra because it's already so tight and compressed
:idk:
but I know that they've boosted the cobra before.

Yeah I've heard they just boost everything they get their hands on. It seems to end up sounding pretty much the same so I guess tone is in the fingers...

:thu:

• Members

Sounds really good! Tight riffing.

I owned a Cobra for about 2 months back in 2004. I sold it quick. If it sounded like this one I would have easily kept it over my Powerball at the time. Honestly, I believe mine was biased extremely cold.

Yeah I couldn't stand mine when I first recieved it. I thought it was the worst sounding head I had ever played through.

Boy did things change a month later....

• Members

So how does it compare with the 5150 I and/or II? My buddy has a 6505+ and is sort of gassing for a Cobra. Can you do an a/b clip?

If you click on the video it will bring you to youtube where I have some other vids posted, you can find a video I did with my 6505. It is the same cabinet but I was using a lower tuned(A#) baritone guitar.

• Members

Yeah that was funny man, you're the Cobra boost police ........... I can't say the Cobra "needs" a boost but I dont think it sounds bad with one. The 808 does thin out the amp a bit but other boosts like the mxr gt-od I just got doesnt.

You shouldn't really order people around sayin not to use a boost with the Cobra hahahahahahaha ........... Nah but seriously it comes down also to what speakers and pickup you use with it.

Thanks for the vid man, tone was great !

• Members

Yeah that was funny man, you're the Cobra boost police ........... I can't say the Cobra "needs" a boost but I dont think it sounds bad with one. The 808 does thin out the amp a bit but other boosts like the mxr gt-od I just got doesnt.

You shouldn't really order people around sayin not to use a boost with the Cobra hahahahahahaha ........... Nah but seriously it comes down also to what speakers and pickup you use with it.

Thanks for the vid man, tone was great !

Right on. I know, people can do as they like. The issue I have, is so many of these kids get this amp and from the first time they play it they are boosting it, as if they are so convinced that it is the best thing ever. "Adam from KSE boosts, so I boost" is the mentality of a lot of these newer players.

If I played on the lead channel i would boost probably. the crunch channel though, no way.

In my mind, a boost serves a purpose, to tighten an amp up, add some midrange, make the notes sharper, add compression, etc.

Aside from the compression, the cobra is already amongst the tightest, sharpest, and mid heavy amps out there.

Ubers, dragons, rectos, and riveras are awesome with boosts though.

Archived