Alright, My Turn for a NEW Cobra Vid Using Vintage 30s

Chrisjd

• Members

:facepalm: My first time doing KSE. What can I say, I had my drop C ESP out with my Cobra, kinda goes hand in hand.

Anyways, yes there are probably a few parts that arn't exact to the song, and yes my voice is annoying, and yes the end isn't how the song goes, I just added it in.

UNBOOSTED!!!!!!

ESP M1 with a SD Distortion.

Marshall Mode 4 Vintage 30 cab.

[YOUTUBE]EFOnBwunhnI[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL!!

When you said your voice was annoying I was waiting for you to start singing...
:facepalm::lol::lol::lol:

Nice tones man. I still say I like mine better with a boost but it's a great sounding amp any way you slice it.

I've been scratching my head as to what was going on with my sound lately - things just didn't sound clear enough. I tried turning the gain down and it just sounded weak. Changed tubes, tried different speakers, swapped out boosts but nothing was giving me a heavy and clear sound anymore.
Your vid made me go and just play a little and I noticed that when I did palm mutes I was getting the little chirping sounds that told me my pickup was too close to the strings. I dropped it down just a touch and damn - that turned out to be the problem all along. Now I've got a killer thick tone with great note separation too!
I think my neighbors might have caught wind of my new improved br00tz too, all their lights are on and it's only about 1 in the AM.
:facepalm:

Thanks for the inspiration bro. :thu:

• Members
LOL!!

When you said your voice was annoying I was waiting for you to start singing...

:facepalm::lol:
:lol:
:lol:

Nice tones man. I still say I like mine better with a boost but it's a great sounding amp any way you slice it.

I've been scratching my head as to what was going on with my sound lately - things just didn't sound clear enough. I tried turning the gain down and it just sounded weak. Changed tubes, tried different speakers, swapped out boosts but nothing was giving me a heavy and clear sound anymore.

Your vid made me go and just play a little and I noticed that when I did palm mutes I was getting the little chirping sounds that told me my pickup was too close to the strings. I dropped it down just a touch and damn - that turned out to be the problem all along. Now I've got a killer thick tone with great note separation too!

I think my neighbors might have caught wind of my new improved br00tz too, all their lights are on and it's only about 1 in the AM.

:facepalm:

Thanks for the inspiration bro.
:thu:

LOL at thinking I was going to sing. Yeah it is normal to think that the closer the pickups are to the strings, the more br00talz it is, but really, if you lower them a bit often times you will get great results......

THanks all for listening.

• Members
Thanks a lot man. I am running a boss ge-20 graphic. I don't think the unit is made anymore, but its a great eq. Actually the boss GE-7 sounds very simliar. On my othe rig that I have setup right now I run a MXR eq. Can't say I like one more than the other.

I could be wrong, but isn't using an eq in the loop a variation of boosting an amp? :idk: :poke:

But the reason for my real post is to say that it sounded really good and thick! I have always wanted to play a Cobra.

What do you think of the Mode Four cabinet? I have been contemplating getting one, I see them come up on my craig's list from time to time. I screwed up once and didn't jump on one. The guy was selling his Mode Four head and cab, the higher wattage one for $600 together. I should have offered him like $250 for the cab.

Cole

• Members
I could be wrong, but isn't using an eq in the loop a variation of boosting an amp?
:idk:
:poke:

But the reason for my real post is to say that it sounded really good and thick! I have always wanted to play a Cobra.

What do you think of the Mode Four cabinet? I have been contemplating getting one, I see them come up on my craig's list from time to time. I screwed up once and didn't jump on one. The guy was selling his Mode Four head and cab, the higher wattage one for $600 together. I should have offered him like $250 for the cab.

Cole

Not quite. When you boost, all you're doing is hitting the first tube hard and making it distort, where normally it wouldn't. You can mess about with the tone at the same time but it's going to sound pretty different from eq'ing in the loop.

• Members

Not quite. When you boost, all you're doing is hitting the first tube hard and making it distort, where normally it wouldn't. You can mess about with the tone at the same time but it's going to sound pretty different from eq'ing in the loop.

Can't one adjust the gain and the volume level with an eq in the loop? I would think by doing this it would cause the power tubes to distort faster, and if extra gain was added (which hasn't been said yet) that would be a boost in my opinion.

When I had an MXR 10 band eq, I could adjust the two besides the tones, I never did because I didn't enjoy the sound it produced. Anyway, I still see it as a boost, unless it is strictly eq adjustment.

Cole

• Members

Can't one adjust the gain and the volume level with an eq in the loop? I would think by doing this it would cause the power tubes to distort faster, and if extra gain was added (which hasn't been said yet) that would be to me a boost.

When I had an MXR 10 band eq, I could adjust the two besides the tones, I never did because I didn't enjoy the sound it produced. Anyway, I still see it as a boost, unless it is strictly eq adjustment.

Cole

some eqs have a gain knob on them. I leave my eq volume at neutral. So there is no affect on volume or gain. plus, even if I did increase it, it is going through the loop first instead of the front of the amp.

Archived