Guys who workout, what do you eat?

jlc1587

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You could jump on low-carb diet and lose fat REALLY fast.

But there are two problems/needs:

1) self control made out of steel
2) As with serious weightloss and getting in shape most people fail the first time. or even second, third etc...especially when it comes to low-carb.

If a person goes from eating lots of Pasta, Rice, bread, potatoes, suger of any kind, snax (etc), I can assure you it's going to be tough.

But on the positive side...low-carb + lots of meals each day + lots of water + good workout routines = incredible fat loss over a short timespan.

Notice I say timespan...while on low-carb diets, you usually hit the peak of burning fat arounds week 3 and 12, after that alot of people experience the Plateau effect.

So to put it short, low-carb is an excellent short term cutting diet(you cut 2-3 months, the train("bulk") for a longer time, and back to cutting).

Just IMO tho.

Low-carb diets get alot of {censored}...but as I said, it's good for cutting fat...I would NEVER go for it as a lifestyle, there are loads of better diets for that IMO (40/40/20 for example)

• Members

Oh man, I could go on forever in this thread, seriously... I could go on and on about what I ate when I was trying to lose weight, what I was eating when I was bulking, what I eat when I'm cutting and what I eat when I'm being a lazy sack of {censored}....

First off:

1) How old are you

2) How tall are you

3) How much do you weigh

4) You are a cop, so you must be looking for strength and stamina right?

5) Any allergies? Lactose intolerance? Religious food restrictions?

Answer those and we can get you one hell of a workout/diet plan...

-Curtis

Damn... have any advice for someone who's trying to drop that last, tenacious 5-10 pounds that's keeping them from their goal weight? My stats:

1) 28

2) 5'11

3) 178-180 lbs., it varies every morning

4) I'm looking for strength, stamina, and muscle tone

5) No allergies, intolerances, or religious restrictions (I tend to avoid pork, though)

As far as my eating habits go, here's a typical sample (this is today's menu):

Breakfast- Apple

2nd Breakfast- 2 scoops of whey protein mixed with water

Lunch- Can of tuna mixed with light mayo, pepper, a tiny amount of salt, and chopped dill pickles

2nd lunch- 1/2 banana

4:00 snack- 1/2 banana

Dinner- BBQ chicken, veggies, and brown rice

As for exercise, I do as much as I can on a tight schedule- sometimes that means 2x a week (back/shoulders/legs one day, arms/chest/abs the other), and sometimes it means 4x a week (all of the above, plus 30 minutes a day of cardio).

Any advice? And sorry for the long post.

• Members

Damn... have any advice for someone who's trying to drop that last, tenacious 5-10 pounds that's keeping them from their goal weight? My stats:

1) 28

2) 5'11

5) No allergies, intolerances, or religious restrictions (I tend to avoid pork, though)

Breakfast- Apple

Lunch- Can of tuna mixed with light mayo, pepper, a tiny amount of salt, and chopped dill pickles

2nd lunch- 1/2 banana

As for exercise, I do as much as I can on a tight schedule- sometimes that means 2x a week (back/shoulders/legs one day, arms/chest/abs the other), and sometimes it means 4x a week (all of the above, plus 30 minutes a day of cardio).

No worries. I'd say you are a good candidate for the Ketogenic/Paleo diet. Google it up, and get yourself some Keto test sticks and get to work. Also, try CrossFit Those folks will cut your ass out of granite.

-Curtis

• Members
Oh man, I could go on forever in this thread, seriously... I could go on and on about what I ate when I was trying to lose weight, what I was eating when I was bulking, what I eat when I'm cutting and what I eat when I'm being a lazy sack of {censored}....

First off:

1) How old are you

2) How tall are you

3) How much do you weigh

Answer those and we can get you one hell of a workout/diet

plan...

-Curtis

If you don't mind doing another one of these... :cop:

I've been a cross country runner through high school, and after this season (my last) I'm looking to gain some weight and muscle.

1) 17
2) 6'7"
3) 185
4) Strength
5) No

I'm skinny as hell and pretty fit, but I'm weak as {censored}.

• Members

I workout and used to eat well but here lately I have went down hill. And I've noticed it's mostly my eating.

What do you guys have for lunch and dinner? I drink carnation instant breakfast for the mornings because I don't like to eat breakfast. I also drink juicer from the juicer but I usually save that for lunch.

I'm going to the grocery store today. I need some new ideas. Plus I'm just interested in what you guys eat to compare. Do you plan the entire week out or just eat whatever you decide on when the day comes?

I eat

wait for it

Wait for it

1529201-2040260.jpg

• Members
If you don't mind doing another one of these...
:cop:

I've been a cross country runner through high school, and after this season (my last) I'm looking to gain some weight and muscle.

1) 17

2) 6'7"

3) 185

4) Strength

5) No

Are you trying to gain strength or size? Those aren't necessarily the same thing like most people think.

If you want to gain strength without a lot of size, stick to heavy weights, low reps, 3-4 times a week.

If you want to gain size, push yourself to failure once a week, per muscle group.

Personally, I prefer the first approach. Feel free to read my blog if you want any tips.

http://www.road-warrior-fitness.com

• Members

Also, for you guys who are trying to lose weight...

It's easier than you think. The simple fact is that if you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If you consume more, you will gain.

The only way to permanently change your metabolism for the better is to have more lean muscle mass. If you want to lose weight, lift weights. A lot of people only do cardio and that's not the whole shebang.

But diet is 90% and exercise is 10%. That said, you can eat what you want as long as you know it's nutritional value and you practice moderation. Remember lean turkey is going to have less calories per pound than chocolate. I'd rather eat a good amount of turkey than a small amount of chocolate and have the same caloric intake.

• Members

Are you trying to gain strength or size? Those aren't necessarily the same thing like most people think.

If you want to gain strength without a lot of size, stick to heavy weights, low reps, 3-4 times a week.

If you want to gain size, push yourself to failure once a week, per muscle group.

Personally, I prefer the first approach. Feel free to read my blog if you want any tips.

http://www.road-warrior-fitness.com

Pretty cool Zack, I'll have to check out your site later.

I quickly perused the "The World Series of Poker workout routine" article and immediately thought you'd probably like a couple sets of fit deck cards, like dumb bells, body weight, navy seal ...

I've almost pulled the trigger on these things about a dozen times over the last 3 months. I kinda made my own with 3x5 cards, tho mine are groups of exercises rather than one exercise per card. I revise 'em about every two weeks so my body doesn't slide into the "I remember that workout" zone. :o

• Members

Grilled food..if it can be thrown on the BBQ ..thats what i eat.
Veggies, Chicken, Pork,Beef..etc..
Rice,Pasta usualy with every dinner.,
TONS of water..( no soda,no coffee,no juice,)
A little milk..i bloat to much from it..I love it..but i keep it to a min.
Chips,Ice Cream..( small amounts.)
NO cereal.
Raw Oats. - uncooked.- only in my protien shakes.,
Raw Eggs,
Tons of Fruit
Amino Tabs. ( 2222 grams )
Protien Powder - 60 grams per serving
Salads.
Tons of tuna.

More potein is good..less carbs..only to shove down the protien...
I eat maybe 3-4 times a day..no breakfast..lunch around 4..
Dinner..then something around midnight or so..(workout at midnight-2am)
eat again..- 3pm..bed by 4am..up by 10-11am..something small to eat.
and then repeat..

thats it..

• Members
Pretty cool Zack, I'll have to check out your site later.

I quickly perused the "The World Series of Poker workout routine" article and immediately thought you'd probably like a couple sets of
fit deck cards
, like
dumb bells
body weight
navy seal

I've almost pulled the trigger on these things about a dozen times over the last 3 months. I kinda made my own with 3x5 cards, tho mine are groups of exercises rather than one exercise per card. I revise 'em about every two weeks so my body doesn't slide into the "I remember that workout" zone.
:o

It's neat that there is a product like that. I hate when I come up with an idea only to find out it's already been done. "Simpsons did it!"

• Members
If you don't mind doing another one of these...
:cop:

1) 17

2) 6'7"

3) 185

4) Strength

5) No

Gaining weight then I assume.

You're a long limbed bastard, and I bet all the running has got your hips pretty tight...

Here's what I'm gonna suggest, and you're not gonna like it....

SQUATS AND MILK!

Literally. Front squats and back squats. And ass below parralllel, I'm talking ATG, (ass to grass,) with heavy, (for you,) weights. You will also do power cleans, snatch, overhead press and jerk, lunges, dead lifts, bench press, pull ups, dumbell rows, core stability and eccentric exercises like box jumps.

This going to require some INTENSE eating. You will be doing the opposite of what I told the dude slooking to lose to do.

You will eat on the same schedule as the first post, but instead of protein and veggies you will eat mostly 2/3rds carbs to every 1/3rd of protein.

This means you can have pizza, perogies, sugar in your coffee and even ice cream! The problem is that you'll be needing to eat literally double the amount of protein in the first post. That's right. DOUBLE!

That means a LOT of whey protein and a lot of meat. On top of your 3lt a day of water, you will drink 3-4lt of MILK! 2% dude.... You will feel like you are ready to puke all day every day for 4 months.

Previous to your workout, you will consume two Two TWO scoops of creatine monohydrate, lift like a mad man, and then eat a {censored} ton of protein and glutomate. 4 scoops of whey and milk.

Basically, it's a redundancy, you need ot have a lot of sugars and you need ot have a lot of protein and you need to lift very Very VERY heavy very fast. This will get you big.

I suggest West Side For Skinny Bastards and the Smolov Squat Cycle, not at the same time mind you, but do them in succession.

And the last thing. Sleep. You will need to get 8-10 hours a night no excusees. This means your weekends will have to be curbed a little.

-Curtis

• Members

It's neat that there is a product like that. I hate when I come up with an idea only to find out it's already been done. "Simpsons did it!"

DOH!!

Here's one of my cards, workout #6 is on the back. So I have my entire workout (workouts 1-6) with me on only 2 cards -- easily fits in me shirt pocket. For a given day's workout I then just write it on the back of my hand so it's easy to see what's coming next. Exercises that involve resistance are highlighted so if I do a second set with dumb bells it's easy to spot 'em (remember I'm an old coot so I need all the help I can get). :cop:

347xrit.jpg

:o

• Members

Literally. Front squats and back squats. And ass below parralllel, I'm talking ATG, (ass to grass,) with heavy, (for you,) weights. You will also do power cleans, snatch, overhead press and jerk, lunges, dead lifts, bench press, pull ups, dumbell rows, core stability and eccentric exercises like box jumps.

This going to require some INTENSE eating. You will be doing the opposite of what I told the dude slooking to lose to do.

You will eat on the same schedule as the first post, but instead of protein and veggies you will eat mostly 2/3rds carbs to every 1/3rd of protein.

This means you can have pizza, perogies, sugar in your coffee and even ice cream! The problem is that you'll be needing to eat literally double the amount of protein in the first post. That's right. DOUBLE!

That means a LOT of whey protein and a lot of meat. On top of your 3lt a day of water, you will drink 3-4lt of MILK! 2% dude.... You will feel like you are ready to puke all day every day for 4 months.

Previous to your workout, you will consume two Two TWO scoops of creatine monohydrate, lift like a mad man, and then eat a {censored} ton of protein and glutomate. 4 scoops of whey and milk.

Basically, it's a redundancy, you need ot have a lot of sugars and you need ot have a lot of protein and you need to lift very Very VERY heavy very fast. This will get you big.

I suggest West Side For Skinny Bastards and the Smolov Squat Cycle, not at the same time mind you, but do them in succession.

And the last thing. Sleep. You will need to get 8-10 hours a night no excusees. This means your weekends will have to be curbed a little.

-Curtis

This is the best advice I've seen here for gaining mass and strength. You simply have to consume calories on a heroic level to beat the typical 'hard gainer' genetics and approach your genetic potential muscle accrual.

This is pretty much how I trained when I started getting serious about lifting about 7 years ago, and went from 170 - 235 in about 4 years. You'll get to a point where you want to cut off the flub eventually, and you WILL gain fat mass along with a boatload of muscle.

If ultimate mass and strength is your goal, this is the way to do it. In retrospect, being a massive brute benching 350lbs with 17% bodyfat wasnt very fun (and not being able to run for {censored}, despite all the high rep squats and whatnot), and I took the above advice a little too far.

An ideal approach would be to moulate your diet and training from pure mass/strength to cardiovascular fitness/cutting once you learn how your body works and what it needs. Its nearly impossible to get huge and lean at the same time (unless you're using hormones or are a genetic freak), and trying to gain a lot of *lean* mass naturally requires a large amount of time and dedication.

• Members

First off:

1) How old are you

2) How tall are you

3) How much do you weigh

Answer those and we can get you one hell of a workout/diet plan...

-Curtis

1) 22

2) 5'8

3) 170

4) not sure. Really don't got anything to do with the job just feeling better.

5) Only thing I'm allergic to is morphine which doesn't apply. lol

• Members
1) 22

2) 5'8

3) 170

4) not sure. Really don't got anything to do with the job just feeling better.

5) Only thing I'm allergic to is morphine which doesn't apply. lol

Then take the first diet I posted and do a lot of CrossFit and West Side For Skinny Bastards. These are what the Army uses for training so it's good enough for you.

Add more whey protein and carbs when you're looking to gain muscle and weight. But not too much mind you. Keep your cardio and metabolic conditioning pretty high. And lots of squats! I cannot stress the neccesity of squats anymore!

You should be good to go. Just eat lots, work out lots and sleep lots, you'll be fine :thu:

-Curtis

• Members

1) 28

2) 5'11

Breakfast- Apple

2nd lunch- 1/2 banana

Lower your intake till you start to loose weight. Don't make excuses if you're serious.

Archived