vox ac15 or ac30 for metal?

TKATS13

• Members

i'm still saving up to either get an ac15 or ac30...it's pretty much the amp that i want for the style of music i will usually be playing...but once i a while i would like to just jam some hardcore/heavy stuff...how good are these amps for heavy stuff?

• Members

It'd work fine for some stuff, though. I mean, if you're straddling the border between hard rock and metal, with a pedal of some kind, it should sound great. I've gotten some killer, sludgy tones out of it, and I can pull a great Clutch sound.

You ain't gonna be playing any death metal on it, though.

• Members

AC30CC + normal channel + modern setting + satchurator pedal with more switch on + humbucker equipped guitar = somewhere in the realm of metal tones.

Not an amp that I'd really choose for metal, but you can get it there if need be. No high gain chugga chugga sounds, but you can get some of the more open and harmonically dynamic type of metal sounds.

• Members

i have an ac30 variant and metal is most of what i play. sounds {censored}ing unbelievable with a boost pedal. i don't play stuff like lamb of god or any of that, but for judas priest, iron maiden, etc. tones, it's great. if the amp has a master volume, crank the pre gain and hit it with a boost

• Members

thanks for all the comments...i guess i wouldnt say trash metal or super heavy stuff...i mean stuff like chevelle, blindside (like from the albums silence and about a burning fire), that kind of hardcore or w/e you wanna call it....and i have a LTD 1000 and my Tele so i guess that definitely brings 2 different tones

• Members

put a damage control solid metal in front of it and you will have metal with an ac30.

From my experience, not at gig volumes.

Even with warm sounding, bass heavy speakers like G12H-30's you won't get the bass response for metal at gig volumes from an EL84 amp, and you won't get rid of the upper mid hump either.

The AC30's interactive treble/bass tone stack won't help either.

You can do it with a pedal at home volumes, but not at gig volumes IMO.

• Members

Even with warm sounding, bass heavy speakers like G12H-30's you won't get the bass response for metal at gig volumes from an EL84 amp, and you won't get rid of the upper mid hump either.

Ive never done an open back combo at gig volumes for metal, so I will bow to your knowledge here. I have done it at practice volumes without a problem.

What about making something to turn it into a closed back combo for gigging?

Honestly, if you want metal, I would go with something else...maybe the new 6505+ 112?

• Members

you don't need a ton of bass to play metal, that's bass players are for :facepalm:

Archived