vox ac15 or ac30 for metal?

TKATS13

• Members

That bloke in Queen - forget his name...he gets a pretty heavy sound sometimes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w505Lh2vh4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKEgrnOOHso

this is basically his guitar > treble booster > AC30 flat out. But any amp can do metal - with the right pedals - even a JC120 + Metal Zone will do it. And as the AC30 suits you for most of your more regular styles I say go for it!!!

• Members

thanks for all the comments...i guess i wouldnt say trash metal or super heavy stuff...i mean stuff like chevelle, blindside (like from the albums silence and about a burning fire), that kind of hardcore or w/e you wanna call it....and i have a LTD 1000 and my Tele so i guess that definitely brings 2 different tones

Those aren't 'metal' tones. At least the tones that most of the HCAFers would associate with the term 'metal.

I think given the right circumstances (lots of pedals and little EF interference) the AC30 could work the tones you described. Those are more sludgy, saturated, 'hard rock' tones rather than full on metal.

However, I think the point is, while the AC30 *can* do it, is it the appropriate choice? Out of the box you won't get those tones, and you'll probably need to add a good amount of gain and feedback to get there, which wouldn't translate very well (read: be unmanageably noisey) at band volumes.

• Members

If you're enough of a fanboi that your screenname is underoath, you're gonna need to go ahead and buy an orange
:o

haha...actually i made this sn back when i was more into older underoath...not so much the new one. I actually was undecided between an AC30 or orange amp...but im really feeling the AC30. As i explained earlier, i will mainly be playing alternative/classic stuff so the AC30 is perfect for what i NEED. My other mistake was using the word "metal", but as i tried to explain, at time i'll just like to jam some heavier stuff, some hard rock stuff...chevelle/cold/blindside...and with the feedback i got, i'm pretty satisfied in that i'll be able to get some good heavy stuff similar to what i'm looking for :thu:

• 11 years later...
  • Members

This thread looks pretty old, but I can comment from experience. I'm in a heavy "new metal" band that requires a lot of effects and textures as well as "chug". I love my Keeley Rat for a nice heavy sound, and I've been putting my AC30 on top of my road case cover. The hollow wood box adds thump and when sitting on the floor adds a lot of bass response as well. I love it, but it might not be for everyone. 

Archived