NAD: the extremely flexible Matamp Little Rock

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Here's my quick review: Great amp.

Here's my in-depth review:

The Little Rock is a single channel amp. It contains a single 6V6 and two preamp spots. Right now it has a pair of 12AX7 Tung Sol preamp tubes.

The controls are laid out very clearly, and each do what you'd expect them to. The 6 position voicing switch is laid out like this....

[thinnest dirt/medium fatness dirt/fattest dirt/fattest clean/medium fatness clean/thinnest clean]. When set to one of the 3 clean voicing modes, one of the preamp tubes is removed from the signal path. The gain control also is disabled in those modes.

When the Little Rock is set to one of the 3 dirty voicing modes...the gain control is active, along with the 2nd preamp tube.

The volume control on the clean channel regulates the gain level, while the overall volume is controled the master volume. On the dirt side it does the same thing, plus you have the gain control to tweak your gain level even more. The gain control can be dialed in from zero gain (clean) to full blast rockNroll dirt.

The bass and treble controls are also very flexible. You can turn them all the way off, for a majorly middy crunchy type tone.....or turn them all the way up for a FAT and crisp tone. For normal rock tones, I just left them both at noon.

The master volume is very responsive as well. The Minimat I once had featured a built in attenuator. I prefer the master volume on the little rock....smoother taper to get reasonable volume crunch tones....without the tone suck of a rheostat.

I'll start the tonal review with the thinnest clean first.

Does just that, removes some of the bass and has less gain on top then the dirt channel. Very twangy when the volume is set noon or lower. With the volume up, you can get some nice crunchy breakup or jangly chords.

Medium cleans:

Similar with more bass, and less headroom.

Fat cleans:

even more bass and less headroom. Great crunchy tone with the volume cranked. AC/DC to.......poppy jangle dirt.

On the thinnest dirt position, it's exactly that. Nice midrange crunch, vintage...since the low end isn't HUGE. Luckily, it doesn't get harsh. I hear ZZ Top tones on this channel

Middle is pretty good for most things....since you can dial in some low end with the tone control.

FAT dirt setting : can get round sounding. While it sounds good for single notes, and power chords.......palm mutes sound muddy. especially when you boost the gain.

overall, I think it's a great amp.

I put it up side by side with my Univalve.......The univalve is crunchier.......much tighter crunch.

The Little Rock is a loose amp, grainy gain. It's tonally more flexible then the Uni.

Both sound good to me. Just different.

The Little Rock is voiced like a loose Marshall. The Uni is a dry Marshall.

I was actually surprised by how many different tones the LR could swing.

For being simple, you can get pretty much any dirt tone you want out of this thing. Fat and tight, fat and loose, crunchy and ballsy etc....... If you want cleans, you shouldn't be looking at low wattage amps any....dick bag.

MatampLittleRock001.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's the point? Sounds like a waste of money for an amp that's worthless in a band.

No need to be a dick.

It's a review. :idk:

Take what you can from it.:poke:

It would sound great in a band with a PA.

Allows you to cranked up tone at reasonable volumes.

I didn't trade for it to use in a band anyway. It's great for jamming in my basement........no ringing ears, but cranked amp!

It sounds like a much bigger amp.

MatampLittleRock002.jpg

• Members

4w.
:o

The steel face plate is very ugly....but then again, I don't give a shit about how it looks. Sounds wonderful.
:thu:

Yeah Ron....if I need to be a loud asshole like you, I can bust out my OR120. It would make a Fender or Marshall look and sound like a toy.

4 watts is even worse. I have a 5 watt Harmoney, and it is perfect. I don't see the need for 6 adjustable voicings because really it's just over complicating a simple amp. Once you crank it, I'm curious how much all those options even matter.

Anyway, the OR120 would cower at the hands of the Jubilee. It certainly had no problem being heard over a 180 watt Herbert.

• Members

hm. 6 watts huh? seems kinda cool-- but what're you gonna do with it?

i know some jazzers who might get away with a 6 watt tube amp for jamming with a horn player at mccormick and schmicks.. but practically speaking.. might be a little tough to use with a drummer unless he's playing with brushes. lord knows, much but a vocal pa is a luxury...

EDIT: oh.. 4 watts, apologies.

• Members

4 watts is even worse. I have a 5 watt Harmoney, and it is perfect. I don't see the need for 6 adjustable voicings because really it's just over complicating a simple amp. Once you crank it, I'm curious how much all those options even matter.

Anyway, the OR120 would cower at the hands of the Jubilee. It certainly had no problem being heard over a 180 watt Herbert.

4w clean. :cop:

Actually, the voicing control makes a huge difference at all volumes.

Once it's cranked, you can really shape the type of gain you're looking for.

Like I said, FAT and loose, or tight and crunchy....and everything in between.

Oh BOY! You've really topped yourself this time.

My OR120 would make you underpants fill with feces......as you're falling to the floor....because you're dizzy from all of the tone surrounding you.

• Members

hm. 6 watts huh? seems kinda cool-- but what're you gonna do with it?

i know some jazzers who might get away with a 6 watt tube amp for jamming with a horn player at mccormick and schmicks.. but practically speaking.. might be a little tough to use with a drummer unless he's playing with brushes. lord knows, much but a vocal pa is a luxury...

EDIT: oh.. 4 watts, apologies.

Mostly for jamming at home.....and if I ever gig as a rock guitarist again.....use it with a PA. I would say it's loud enough for rehearsal......:idk:

It would make a great recording amp too....since it sound so full at decent volume levels.

The Univalve has more of a mid range crunch....the Little Rock has more of a full bandwidth type tone.

• Members

4w clean.
:cop:

Actually, the voicing control makes a huge difference at all volumes.

Once it's cranked, you can really shape the type of gain you're looking for.

Like I said, FAT and loose, or tight and crunchy....and everything in between.

Oh BOY! You've really topped yourself this time.

My OR120 would make you underpants fill with feces......as you're falling to the floor....because you're dizzy from all of the tone surrounding you.

You wouldn't be able to turn up your own amp for fear of hurting your iddy biddy ear drums, so we'd never find out. Oh, except I'd start with the Jubilee dimed, and you'd be fucked.

• Members

You wouldn't be able to turn up your own amp for fear of hurting your iddy biddy ear drums, so we'd never find out. Oh, except I'd start with the Jubilee dimed, and you'd be fucked.

I'll remember that when you're deaf at 45. :cop:

Nope. No way that Jubilee is louder then my OR120.

Hell, my Randall RGT100ES would kill your Jubilee too.

• Members

i always wondered if 5 way voicing switches made much of a difference in terms of clarity versus a pot..

hrm. i'm always curious about matamps 'cause they're so rare-- but all the stoner dudes amps sound so... well.. i'm not a fan of that blatty fuzz sound they seem to make. but i'm sure they can be cleaned up. post up clips!

• Members

I'll remember that when you're deaf at 45.
:cop:

Nope. No way that Jubilee is louder then my OR120.

Hell, my Randall RGT100ES would kill your Jubilee too.

I'm sure. More than likely you've never even turned them up all the way to find out, nor have you heard a fully functioning Jubilee, let alone the 2555 1/2 stack.

• Members

Can it do doomish/stoner tones? I just ordered an Emperor 112 yesterday, but now I need a GT4 to go with it...

I haven't tried yet. Got it home, played it with my Yamaha TVL for 30 mins....then had to go to rehearsal.

I'll have to dig out my drop C guitar and try it out.

....figure it'll do just fine....since you can crank the gain up and add a lot of low end.

Do they even make the GT4?

• Members

I'm sure. More than likely you've never even turned them up all the way to find out, nor have you heard a fully functioning Jubilee, let alone the 2555 1/2 stack.

I crank my maps.......with ear plugs in. :cop:

I'm obviously not as stupid as you are.

Doesn't matter what amp you have......the OR120 will flat out beat it.

• Members

Nah, not anymore, there's one on ebay for a ridiculous price
:mad:

The Matamp First Lady looks pretty awesome.....not sure about the tones available though? :idk:

For some reason, I don't trust that modern Matamps are going to sound good for stoner/doom.

What kind of stoner tone are you looking for? Sludgey or huge doomy?

Archived