Monthly Blockbusters Challenge : 11/8/11 (new feature)

stickboymusic

• Members

Right folks, ok this thread was to set a challenge and suddenly there is an uprising

Im keeping this one strict (sorry!!)

You can ONLY use C/G/Am/F (or any transposition/capo) and that is it

NO 7ths ect....NO missing chords out..... this is a test in melody, and listen to these pop songs, they dont need to cheat so lets see how we get on

Dammit...I already started writing mine, using Lee Knight's rule. It's ok, I didn't get far so I'll just smash into a new form. The main part I wrote was for the full progression anyway.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll try to be in. I was recently inspired by the Axis of Awesome, took a song that was taking too long to record and arrange, started over just using those four chords (in a slightly different order) and it worked out pretty well. My audio interface decided to poop out on me though. If I get a new one soon, I'll try for the challenge, though I'm now running a weekly acoustic thingy at a pub so my free time to record is less so I haven't exactly been missing the fact that I can't :)

• Members

And I might as well use this next song for my collaboration with oldgitplayer.

Alright, stay tuned for a melody. oldgitplayer is gonna do the lyrics!

I'm presuming the challenge is over on the 31st of the month.

Don't leave it too late to give me your melody - Even if I dash off some 24 hour lyrics, you still need to record it.

• Moderators

I'm presuming the challenge is over on the 31st of the month.

Don't leave it too late to give me your melody - Even if I dash off some 24 hour lyrics, you still need to record it.

Hey Phil, sorry I've been preoccupied lately. I started a "1-5-6-4" song, but I already have some lyrics for it. I'll try another type of song. Maybe something fresh and with a different feel. But not overly complex, so its more accessible and easier to interpret into lyrics. I'll send you a melody in the next day or two.

• Members

Hey Phil, sorry I've been preoccupied lately. I started a "1-5-6-4" song, but I already have some lyrics for it. I'll try another type of song. Maybe something fresh and with a different feel. But not overly complex, so its more accessible and easier to interpret into lyrics. I'll send you a melody in the next day or two.

Not hurrying you here Davie - whatever and whenever is fine with me.

I'll be out of town for a week from the 27th Aug. so it's probably better to de-link me from The Challenge.

• Members

Ok, continuing my mini-thread from "Describe your Process" over here.

Got kind of a boogie groove going in E - missing a lot of lyrical lines but it was kind of fun to play - then it turned into "Another Girl, Another Planet". :(

[video=youtube;MmodvpD-Cvs]

• Members

I got something, just need to work up some lyrics. The only sure thing I have at the moment is a passionately delivered "Won't you take this weight off my mind". Any ideas what the weight is?

Great song song by Levon Helm.

• Members

I got something, just need to work up some lyrics. The only sure thing I have at the moment is a passionately delivered "Won't you take this weight off my mind". Any ideas what the weight is?

All I know is that Annie can put the load right on me.

• Members

Are you looking for an idea or are we supposed to guess the idea you already have?

• Members

Are you looking for an idea or are we supposed to guess the idea you already have?

Just looking for ideas. Toss your {censored}!

I'm aware of "The Weight" but this isn't a songwriting venture I'm taking too seriously.

A relentless 4 - chord progression?

Actually, I've done some fancy footwork so there appears to be a change without actually being one. That is what I like about it, I'd probably not have stuck with this challenge without it.

• Members

I'm aware of "The Weight" but this isn't a songwriting venture I'm taking too seriously.

Actually, I've done some fancy footwork so there appears to be a change without actually being one. That is what I like about it, I'd probably not have stuck with this challenge without it.

I did the same thing with my entry

Going through a foreclosure actually being a freeing experience. No roots to hold me down... etc

Someone on death row who no longer wants to live with guilt is ready to die

Someone getting their first "career" job after completing their schooling. Maybe a few months have passed and they were super worried they were going to have to go back to flipping burgers

Someone going back to flipping burgers because they were tired of their career job. Ala American Beauty

• Members

How about : You're running a crystal meth lab for a ruthless operator in order to support your family and pay your brother-in-law's medical expenses and help him look for the mysterious Heisenberg?

• Moderators

weight/wait

You tell me take it easy

Don't be in such a rush

You tell me settle down now

And hush

With this burden on my shoulders

The tick tick ticking of time

Won't take this weight/wait off my mind

Won't you take this weight off my mind?

So, some sort of anticipation of doom. Foreclosure's a good one. Impending divorce ( not that I'd know). Cancer. Like you running from the bullies at school and they've just thrown a rock and you're waiting for it to connect with the back of your head.

Archived