OT: NPP? Really? :freak:

mcr23

• Members

I'm sorry for all the Boo Boo fanbois who will disagree but wtf exactly did he did to get a Nobel Peace Prize?

Please point me to the conflict that he resolved or the epic summit that he held or anything that merits getting a NPP???

:lol: I mean c'mon.

• Members

Obama was only in office 2 weeks when the voting for the NPP had been closed.
Look at all he accomplished in that short period of time! :eek:

I'm totally impressed at all he has accomplished...

NOT! :facepalm::bor::soapbox:

• Members

No {censored}storm here but its kinda funny to hear this - maybe he changed the tone but he has kept most of Bushes international polcies and is on the verge of sending 40,000 more troops to Afghanistan

this is a good article by yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_nobel_analysis_1

Maybe he changed the tone but to be nominated after 12 days in office? - kinda makes a mockery of the award, it really does

:facepalm:

Clinton TRIED and got close in 1999 in the mid east peace talks and IMO did more than Obama wheres his?

:facepalm:

• Members

The Peace Prize is really more of a gesture than a statement of accomplishment.

It goes to a very public figure who is, in the academy's estimation, making every effort to foster peace at home and abroad.

There are no eligibility requirements. As far as these rewards go, with the exception of the prize for Science, they're popularity contests more than anything. Even the prize for Literature is usually given to someone "everybody likes" versus someone who actually "made a difference" with their writing.

That being said, I think Obama is as worthy of this particular Nobel as anyone else. Can you name someone who is more qualified at the current time? As far as the world-perspective is concerned, merely being black and being elected president was probably enough of an accomplishment to warrant his reception of the Nobel.

• Members
The Peace Prize is really more of a gesture than a statement of accomplishment.

It goes to a very public figure who is, in the academy's estimation, making every effort to foster peace at home and abroad.

There are no eligibility requirements. As far as these rewards go, with the exception of the prize for Science, they're popularity contests more than anything. Even the prize for Literature is usually given to someone "everybody likes" versus someone who actually "made a difference" with their writing.

That being said, I think Obama is as worthy of this particular Nobel as anyone else. Can you name someone who is more qualified at the current time? As far as the world-perspective is concerned, merely being black and being elected president was probably enough of an accomplishment to warrant his reception of the Nobel.

Because he's black and the president warrants a Nobel Peace Prize? :lol:

Obama deserves a swift kick to his balls.

• Members
Because he's black and the president warrants a Nobel Peace Prize?
:lol:

Alfred Nobel's dying wish was to award this honor to people that are promoting global peace.

Obama is stockpiling troops in Afghanistan, violating the very spirit of this award.

Nobel committee = massive fail for thinly veiled kick at Bush

• Members

Because he's black and the president warrants a Nobel Peace Prize?
:lol:

(Picturing Obama receiving his prize from the presenter and as they're shaking hands, the presenter swiftly kicks him in the balls).

Priceless.

Maybe they awarded him this for the sole reason to get a chance to kick him in the Baby 'Bamas?:lol:

• Members

Without wanting to say anything negative about Obama, I don't really understand this. Isn't it a bit early? What has he accomplished thus far that would earn him the NPP?

It's kind of a shame because like some of you already pointed out, this way the NPP really becomes less and less meaningful.

• Members

Without wanting to say anything negative about Obama, I don't really understand this. Isn't it a bit early? What has he accomplished thus far that would earn him the NPP?

It's like getting out of a hot shower in a cold room - even if it's not that big of a change, it feels like one. With diplomacy, that's more than half the game.

• Members

Two things.

Jack and {censored}.

Pretty much in keeping with all his previous... "accomplishments", which consisted entirely of the same.

:o

Archived