• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I dont understand maths and that quote means nothing to me
:idk:
half of 3 is 1.5 to my simple mind
:o

Dont know how I got a B at GCSE.

This is an information issue. While 3/2 = 1.5, when we do math in science we never report more significant figures than exist in the number with the least significant figures in the operations. It ensure that we don't add a sense of higher accuracy which is a function of math rather than a function of precision of measurement.

For example, if you have a scale that measures weight to the thousandths place, even though you can do math which results in digits beyond the thousandths place you don't report that or carry those digits into additional equations because we don't actually know what's happening at that level of accuracy.

So yes, 3/2=1.5 but in some scenarios you won't report the answer to that level of accuracy.

• Members
How is 3/2 anything other than 1.5? It makes no sense to me
:o

It's for use in science. It's basically saying that 3 and 2 are both precise to the ones, so when dividing you give an answer that is precise to the ones because if you were to give it to the tenths it would imply a level of precision you do not have.

• Members
It's for use in science. It's basically saying that 3 and 2 are both precise to the ones, so when dividing you give an answer that is precise to the ones because if you were to give it to the tenths it would imply a level of precision you do not have.

What we said.

• Members

"3/2 is 1. Not 1.5, but 1. This is what I was actually taught by one of my maths teachers, who is a Dr of Particle Physics, you even get taught his theories if you do a doctorate in Physics, but yeah, 3/2 is 1, because you always give the answer to the same amount of decimal places."

I understand the logic, but by my calculations 3/2 is 2, not 1. Because you would round up removing the decimal places. I believe your teachers logic is flawed as well as his math.

People who are confused and want to understand - put the formula in an excel spreadsheet and change the number of decimal places to none.

Here: Just make it 3.0/2.0 = 1.5 and tell your teacher you need to be more precise...lol

• Members
I'm far too tired to understand this {censored}. I probably still wont understand it when I wake up tomorrow though..

WHO WAS PHONE?!

edit - oh if its a simple case of rounding up to a whole number then 3/2 would = 2 anyway, wouldn't it?
:freak:

Decimal places are not the same as significant bits. Wiki it!

Nobody was phone, the phone doesn't really exist. Don't try and speak to the phone, that's impossible. Instead, try to make the phone speak to you.

• Members
3/2 is 1. Not 1.5, but 1. This is what I was actually taught by one of my maths teachers, who is a Dr of Particle Physics, you even get taught his theories if you do a doctorate in Physics, but yeah, 3/2 is 1, because you always give the answer to the same amount of decimal places.

I was always taught that halfway values (.5) are rounded up but when I looked that up I found out that you can round them either up, to zero, half to even or stochastically. :facepalm:

I.

{censored}ing.

Hate.

Math.

• Members
I was always thought that halfway values (.5) are rounded up but when I looked that up I found out that you can round them either up, to zero, half to even or stochastically.
:facepalm:

I.

{censored}ing.

Hate.

Math.

My AP chem teacher taught us a way to round it up or down based on if the preceding number is even or something weird like that. The idea is that, statistically speaking, you will probably be rounding up and down equally and thus not end up exaggerating your number by constantly rounding up or down.

• Members
My AP chem teacher taught us a way to round it up or down based on if the preceding number is even or something weird like that. The idea is that, statistically speaking, you will probably be rounding up and down equally and thus not end up exaggerating your number by constantly rounding up or down.

There's different ways to do it. There's no "right" way. It depends on the context.

• Members
There's different ways to do it. There's no "right" way. It depends on the context.

Yeah, I mean you can apply the basic concept in a number of ways. That was covered way at the beginning of the year though and succumbed in my memory to many more important concepts over the school year :lol:

• Members
This is how .999_ = 1

x = .999_

10x = 9.999_

10x - x = (9.999_ - .999_)

9x = 9

x = 1

.999_ = 1

To further prove this, look at 3/3. .333_ = 1/3, and 3/3 = 1. Therefore, .999 = 1.

Now, it can be argued that 1=2.

0 x 1 = 0

0 x 2 = 0

So than this must be true:

0 x 1 = 0 x 2

Similarly:

0/0 x 1 = 0/0 x 2

Simplified,

1 = 2

0=0
why dont you try with addition
0 plus 1 =1
0 plus 2 =2
0=0:idea:

• Members
This is how .999_ = 1

x = .999_

10x = 9.999_

10x - x = (9.999_ - .999_)

9x = 9

x = 1

.999_ = 1

To further prove this, look at 3/3. .333_ = 1/3, and 3/3 = 1. Therefore, .999 = 1.

Now, it can be argued that 1=2.

0 x 1 = 0

0 x 2 = 0

So than this must be true:

0 x 1 = 0 x 2

Similarly:

0/0 x 1 = 0/0 x 2

Simplified,

1 = 2

Troll or remedial algebra failure.