.999_=1, so does 1=2?

cmercein8

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
It's for use in science. It's basically saying that 3 and 2 are both precise to the ones, so when dividing you give an answer that is precise to the ones because if you were to give it to the tenths it would imply a level of precision you do not have.

yea but im pretty sure that anything greater than 0.4 would actually get rounded UP, not DOWN...So 1.5 rounded would technically be represented best by a 2, not a 1...

• Members
nice try but no, because the series expansion only approaches 1, but never gets there because it would require an infinite number of terms.

I think what you are missing is the "_" in "0.999_" precisely means you have to sum an infinite number of terms ...

And for the geekiest around here, here's another surprising math results ...
Did you know that i^i is actually a real number ?
i being the complex number (-1)^

• Members
nice try but no, because the series expansion only approaches 1, but never gets there because it would require an infinite number of terms.

A) 1/3 = 0.333...

B) 3 * 0.333... = 0.999...

C) 3 * (1/3) = 1

Ergo, 0.999... = 1

You realize that the repeating notation implies repeating into infinity, right?

• Members
3/2 is 1. Not 1.5, but 1. This is what I was actually taught by one of my maths teachers, who is a Dr of Particle Physics, you even get taught his theories if you do a doctorate in Physics, but yeah, 3/2 is 1, because you always give the answer to the same amount of decimal places.

hmm.

Damn you really missed out on that lecture. For counted, definite quantities, you have an assumed "infinite" significant figures to work with, to be limited by other quantities.

• Members
A) 1/3 = 0.333...

B) 3 * 0.333... = 0.999...

C) 3 * (1/3) = 1

Ergo, 0.999... = 1

You realize that the repeating notation implies repeating into infinity, right?

I can only assume you don't know the difference between a series approximation which I was referring to and 1/3 or pi.

regardless, .9999... with a ga-zillion or infinity-1 significant digits does not equal 1.0. it may approximate 1.0, but does not equal 1.0 it may be substituted for 1.0 in calculations, but it still does not equal 1.0

• Members

This .999.... Thing dates all the way back to plato (or was it socrates?). Anyway - he said that to first cross the coliseum you have to cross the first half. To finish from the you again have to cross the first half of what is left. And so on and so on.

How can you ever get to the other side?

Please use terms plato would understand in your answer.

• Members
This .999.... Thing dates all the way back to plato (or was it socrates?). Anyway - he said that to first cross the coliseum you have to cross the first half. To finish from the you again have to cross the first half of what is left. And so on and so on.

I would say {censored} it and go play video games.

• Members

It was Zeno.

I'd hand him an introductory calculus text and let him work it out for himself.

• Members
I don't see the problem. Dreamspace's sum was an infinite sum. 0.999... is an infinitely long decimal.

let's make this simple. the OP states .999_ = 1

0.999... does not equal 1.0 no matter how you think about, put it, calculate it

it gets close but does not equal 1.0