.999_=1, so does 1=2?

cmercein8

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
If a = 2 then a^2 = 4, not 2a. Where the hell do you stoners come up with this? Please stay as far away from college as humanly possible.

you multiply both sides with a, you don't square both sides.

and the post was to show that 2!=1, since you divide by zero when dividing (a-2) from both sides)

• Members

you multiply both sides with a, you don't square both sides.

and the post was to show that 2!=1, since you divide by zero when dividing (a-2) from both sides)

That still comes out to 4

a = 2

a x a = 2 x a

a still = 2

so 2a = 4

There's no getting around it buddy, sorry. And the rest of your math is still wrong.

• Members

That is just a stupid mathematical parlour trick more often used in philosophy than in any real math.

Anything divided by zero is undefined (older mathematical texts sometimes say infinite but that has grown unpopular over the past 30 years).

That is just a fancy way of saying your "proof" is incorrect.

• Members
That is just a stupid mathematical parlour trick more often used in philosophy than in any real math.

Anything divided by zero is undefined (older mathematical texts sometimes say infinite but that has grown unpopular over the past 30 years).

That is just a fancy way of saying your "proof" is incorrect.

Yeah. Numbers are numbers... they relate to things in the real world but they and an intangible idea, and that's why there are rules like "you can't divide by zero" to ensure that algebra and such stays relevant to real applications. Otherwise you could make up whatever rules you want, but what's the point of that :facepalm:

• Members

Now, it can be argued that 1=2.

0 x 1 = 0

0 x 2 = 0

So than this must be true:

0 x 1 = 0 x 2

Similarly:

0/0 x 1 = 0/0 x 2

Simplified,

1 = 2

By this logic every number equals every number.....

0 x 5 = 0

0 x 7 = 0

So than this must be true:

0 x 5 = 0 x 7

Similarly:

0/0 x 5 = 0/0 x 7

Simplified,

5 = 7

So I'll give you 1 dollar and you can give me a thousand and we'll call it even.

• Members

Besides, if you want to place a zero denominator on one side, you must place the entire side over zero, not just one number or the other. Then do the same to the other side of course (as in, the entire side).

0 x 1 = 0 x 2

so

0/0 x 1 = 0/0 x 2?

Nope. This is how it goes:

(0 x 1)/0 = (0 x 2)/0

Both sides equal 0 and thus, 0 = 0, not 1 = 2.

And technically speaking, division by zero is possible but ONLY when the numerator is zero or at least comes out to zero.

• Members

3/2 is 1. Not 1.5, but 1. This is what I was actually taught by one of my maths teachers, who is a Dr of Particle Physics, you even get taught his theories if you do a doctorate in Physics, but yeah, 3/2 is 1, because you always give the answer to the same amount of decimal places.

hmm.

• Members
3/2 is 1. Not 1.5, but 1. This is what I was actually taught by one of my maths teachers, who is a Dr of Particle Physics, you even get taught his theories if you do a doctorate in Physics, but yeah, 3/2 is 1, because you always give the answer to the same amount of decimal places.

hmm.

You mean significant figures? :snax:

• Members

1) .999... is =1, that proof is not invalid.

2) You cannot divide by 0 ever, and multiplying by 0 removes all information so it cannot be used in these proofs.

This is why I shouldn't argue with people on the internet, because even fundamental math proofs that require the most basic logic skills taught in high school are lost on the internet.