Friday Influences Thread 09-30-11

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post 'em if ya got 'em.

Boy Howdy! Anybody remember Creem Magazine? Now there's an influence.

1444061191_d02db7d8c2_o.jpg

Or Trouser Press?

TrouserPress.jpg

Music magazine's from the 70's. There was no internet. No MTV, VH1 or video even. (yeah I walked to school barefoot in the snow, even in LA) There was the radio, gigs, word of mouth... and the press. The NME was hard to find here but awesome when you could. Hey! Lester Bangs grew up 15 miles from my house! Whoopdy freakin' hoody hoo!

I was a rock press kid. I saw a B&W still of David Byrne and Tina Weymouth a week before I heard them. Psycho who? Iggy, Suzi Quatro, Alice Cooper... all images before they had a chance to print their music on my mind. They were first, the words of others, they were the commentary of the music press before they where vinyl on my turntable.

The music press... I learned to hate them too. That's why I never really listened to Morphine on the 90's. Just another story. Another manipulation of the now televised rock press. All Hail Kurt Loder. Loder... blah.

But Morphine? Boy was I wrong. Freaking GREAT. Late to the party but grateful for the invite. I'm on a Morphine diet of late. A bass with only an A and D string. Played with a slide. A bari/tenor player. And a very cool drummer. Dig Mark Sandman's groove, like Bukowski and an impaired James Brown's love child on a serious low...

[video=youtube;yNEYKrFJgRo]

And then a bit more "produced" here...

[video=youtube;2n7yOkeFJMM]

• Members

I'd like to propose a new FUN idea... and it would be to supplement FIT periodically with a covering your influences campaign (CIT). I know posting covers isn't necessarily where this forum wants to go, but having a periodic single thread where we cover our influences who we so often post in this thread... well, it would be kind of cool.

Thoughts?

• Members

Ok then! Now you've asked for it!

The
great
Steve Goodman. You know... Good morning America how are ya, I said don't cha know me, I'm you're native son? yeah, well, he was great...

You don't need to convince me...

The song that supposedly got him discovered...

[video=youtube;N7bshaSvjs8]

One that's more associated with Jimmy Buffett...

[video=youtube;lHFWb0fIjW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHFWb0fIjW8

LCK

• Moderators

I'd like to propose a new FUN idea... and it would be to supplement FIT periodically with a covering your influences campaign (CIT). I know posting covers isn't necessarily where this forum wants to go, but having a periodic single thread where we cover our influences who we so often post in this thread... well, it would be kind of cool.

Thoughts?

That sounds like an awesome idea. Mr. Blue? Mr. Blue?

• Members

Just finished watching a singer-songwriter show on BBC4 and although I can't find the actual performance they showed, this'll do.

5QZioxCg20I

Is it just me or is Joni so far above every other female singer-songwriter it's like she's a different species altogether? Anyway, can't really say she's an influence - I don't have what it takes to take her apart and put her together again. Hope you enjoy.

• Members

Is it just me or is Joni so far above every other female singer-songwriter it's like she's a different species altogether? Anyway, can't really say she's an influence - I don't have what it takes to take her apart and put her together again. Hope you enjoy.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't know how to write anything Joni-Michellesque; I wouldn't know where to start.

LCK

• Members

Man, was that AWESOME. Thanks for posting! I'd never heard of them.

This band actually sounds like people make The Germs out to be, but The Screamers actually deliver. And the songs are well-written.

Could you please post clips from other similar "pocket" bands that do it like that? Great upbeat stuff that never broke out...

• Members

I attended a couple of jazz vocal workshops hosted by Tierney Sutton. In one of them she recommended singing along with horn players to improve your vocal skills. Oddly enough, that was something I had always done on my own, particularly with Paul Desmond.*

So Desmond has had a major influence on my singing if not my songwriting.

He wrote this tune for Dave Brubeck.

[video=youtube;BwNrmYRiX_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o

This is an old New Orleans jazz tune, turned into a samba.

[video=youtube;CBThbc7hLoA]

I also practice my vocals chops by singing along with Desmond's Chet Baker's solos on this tune.

[video=youtube;MQoLiAOX4XU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQoLiAOX4XU

LCK

*Desmond once said of his signature sound that he was trying to make his sax sound like a dry martini.

• Members
Man, was that AWESOME. Thanks for posting! I'd never heard of them.

This band actually sounds like people make The Germs out to be, but The Screamers actually deliver. And the songs are well-written.

Could you please post clips from other similar "pocket" bands that do it like that? Great upbeat stuff that never broke out...

Yeah... I saw the Germs a number of times (at least 5) and it wasn't until the record came out that I realized there was actually a coherent intelligence running through Crash's lyrics. Darby's stage presence was pretty well captured in the first Decline of Western Civilization movie. Unfortunately.

• Moderators

Lee, I love Paul Desmond!

So I was in Barnes & Noble and perusing their 4.99 CD clearance rack. I got Alice's Billion Dollar Babies, a James Brown collection, Cohen's Songs From a Room...

...and ELO's Out of the Blue. Damn, that Lynne was so good. A real "inspiration" for me.

In 1977 he headed up near Lake Geneva and set out to write a "double album". He had nothing. For 2 weeks nothing. It rained and rained straight for 2 weeks. Then the sun came out. And he sang into his rented Revox... "The sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight". Two weeks later he had 12 songs. They began tracking right there in Switzerland after those 2 weeks of writing. As they tracked, each day he wrote more. The album was done in 3 months. 20 great songs written and produced by Lynne. Turn To Stone. Wild West Hero. Sweet Talkin' Woman... and Mr. Blue Sky. Dig the use of the choir at around 3:20. It's a real choir and a 20 piece orchestra all crammed into a smallish studio. Crazy Swiss musicians apparently dug Mr. Lynne.

[video=youtube;TST92z-2dQ8]

• Members

"The Peacocks." This song was actually a direct influence on a song of mine. Here's how...

A friend of mine was in New York, visiting from Savannah. We were supposed to go out to dinner, but she was busy on the phone. So I entertained myself at her friends' baby grand piano -- which sat in their nice-sized living room, overlooking Central Park West -- trying to find the melody to a beautiful Jimmy Rowles tune called "The Peacocks" .

I couldn't find the melody line for "The Peacocks," so I ended up improvising a neat little tune of my own, which I played over and over for about half an hour.

"What is that?" my friend said, coming out of the bedroom, finally off the phone.

"Nothing. I was just fooling around."

She sat in an armchair and threw her long legs over the side. "It's beautiful. Play it some more."

"I thought we were going to dinner."

"We are. I just want to hear that song again."

So I played it again.

"You just made that up?"

"I guess so. I mean, I was just fooling around."

"Well, you need to turn that into a song. It's BEAUTIFUL!"

"Thanks. Can we eat now?"

"No, not until you promise me you'll turn it into a song, with words."

"Okay," I lied. "I promise."

That was July.

In October, thinking about her while walking through Central Park, I remembered the tune, and wondered if I would be able to put a lyric to it. The line, "The Last Time You Came to New York" popped into my head, and seemed like the perfect title. Strangely enough (or not so strangely) it fit the opening part of the melody perfectly.

It sounds nothing like "The Peacocks," but that Jimmy Rowles tune inspired one of my best songs.

[video=youtube;SPVxpeUqLkg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVxpeUqLkg

"The Last Time You Came to New York"

LCK

• Members

That's a great song, and some jaw-droppingly good piano playing.
:thu:

That's Janice Friedman! She's fantastic.

That's me puttering around on the acoustic guitar.

Thanks for listening. I'm really proud of that song.

LCK

Archived