Mastodon, I JUST DON'T GET IT.

Chrisjd

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Some bands I really dig: The Absence, The Agonist, All That Remains, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, All shall perish, born of osiris, diablo, carcass, capharnaum, decapitated, death, metallica, darkest hour, lamb of god, kalmah, children of bodom, shadows fall, within y, war of ages....the list goes on...

but do you see why you might not like mastodon? how would anyone ever compare them to kse, darkest hour, inflames etc... apples and oranges brah.

besides, calling mastodon boring and ignoring the fact that killswitch engage has some of the most predictable songs ever is kinda weak. breakdown, midtempo at the gates riff, breakdown, singing part, different (but still the same, just slower) breakdown, short bridge with singing, end with a chorus/breakdown.:blah:

• Members

but do you see why you might not like mastodon? how would anyone ever compare them to kse, darkest hour, inflames etc... apples and oranges brah.

besides, calling mastodon boring and ignoring the fact that killswitch engage has some of the most predictable songs ever is kinda weak. breakdown, midtempo at the gates riff, breakdown, singing part, different (but still the same, just slower) breakdown, short bridge with singing, end with a chorus/breakdown.
:blah:

Yeah its a different thing. I agree, but still, I am not a Mastodon fan. You may find the type of thing I like boring, but w/e...its all opinions anyway.

Also, I notice people harping on killswitch....gets old hearing about the same {censored} over and over. Yeah, I like killswitch, and if that takes away from my internetzzz cred, then w/e, I still like them. But I like a lot of bands that are not similar to them as well.

• Members
You listen to slipknot broski. I doubt there is much weight to your personal musical opinion
:o
:poke:

I hate to break this to you, but you're obviously misusing the word "broski". Do you know what it means? :lol:

btw, I wouldn't listen to Slipknot even if I was offered a free blowjob. My teenage years are long over.

Have you gotten snow yet?

• Members
I saw them with In Flames at the Hardrock, and with Metallica in Ft. Lauderdale. idk man, I just cant dig their stuff.

Some bands I really dig: The Absence, The Agonist, All That Remains, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, All shall perish, born of osiris, diablo, carcass, capharnaum, decapitated, death, metallica, darkest hour, lamb of god, kalmah, children of bodom, shadows fall, within y, war of ages....the list goes on...

I consider a lot of those bands, particularly the metalcore acts, to be way more boring. Yeah, they're faster, more rhythmic, more aggressive. That's not what makes something musically interesting to me though... bands like kse and shadows fall and all shall perish are doing absolutely nothing new musically and rehash the same crap :idk: breakdowns are the most boring thing in the world.

• Members

apparently its just not your style mang.

My love really goes out for the Leviathan and Remission albums. Aqua Demetia, Mother Puncher, Iron Tusk, Blood and Thunder and Island are huge favs.

Blood mountain sucked dick. No need to explain that one.

But the new crack the skye i kinda get, but not in a mastodon way. Its more stoner-y than the older stuff. And the song Oblivion really really makes the album for me.

From what i gather, you, (Chrisjd) are a big fan of the modern metal. Hell, you even have a Cobra for a display pic, and that thing is master of modern chug chug. When mastodon came out, they were described -and i totally agree with this description- that they were what the old metalheads were craving. Its new metal, but with an older spin on it.

And i know how i like my music, i listen to mostly stoner-y doomy stuff, some heavy metal style stuff, and then tons of stuff that isnt metal. And i find people tend to lean towards a specific metal sub-genre above all others, and Mastodon just doesnt fit into your sub-genre preferences. Just like i dont like All that Remains, Killswitch, Carcass, Decapitated, Death, Metallica, Darkest hour, children of bodom, etc.

In summary: apples and oranges man, and you're an apples guy :thu:

• Members
I hate to break this to you, but you're obviously misusing the word "broski". Do you know what it means?
:lol:

btw, I wouldn't listen to Slipknot even if I was offered a free blowjob. My teenage years are long over.

Have you gotten snow yet?

I know how to use it, it was to add a lighter tone to my comment so he wouldn't get too defensive and butt hurt :poke: :idk:

Funny you should ask, got our first snow last night and today. Of course it won't stick, but it was something at least.

• Members
I consider a lot of those bands, particularly the metalcore acts, to be way more boring. Yeah, they're faster, more rhythmic, more aggressive. That's not what makes something musically interesting to me though... bands like kse and shadows fall and all shall perish are doing absolutely nothing new musically and rehash the same crap
:idk:
breakdowns are the most boring thing in the world.

I have the opposite view I guess. I think the faster, more rhythmic, more aggressive, more melodic aspects of the songs are whats exciting. :idk: some people might see it as the same crap, but thats part of what I enjoy listening to.

• Members

My love really goes out for the Leviathan and Remission albums. Aqua Demetia, Mother Puncher, Iron Tusk, Blood and Thunder and Island are huge favs.

But the new crack the skye i kinda get, but not in a mastodon way. Its more stoner-y than the older stuff. And the song Oblivion really really makes the album for me.

From what i gather, you, (Chrisjd) are a big fan of the modern metal. Hell, you even have a Cobra for a display pic, and that thing is master of modern chug chug. When mastodon came out, they were described -and i totally agree with this description- that they were what the old metalheads were craving. Its new metal, but with an older spin on it.

And i know how i like my music, i listen to mostly stoner-y doomy stuff, some heavy metal style stuff, and then tons of stuff that isnt metal. And i find people tend to lean towards a specific metal sub-genre above all others, and Mastodon just doesnt fit into your sub-genre preferences. Just like i dont like All that Remains, Killswitch, Carcass, Decapitated, Death, Metallica, Darkest hour, children of bodom, etc.

In summary: apples and oranges man, and you're an apples guy
:thu:

Thank you for posting this :thu:

I agree 100%, not everything is for everyone. People can talk {censored} all they want, but people like what they like...you cant really force yourself to like something that you dont like, unless you want to like it. Mastodon and Gojira are just not for me :thu:

• Members
I know how to use it, it was to add a lighter tone to my comment so he wouldn't get too defensive and butt hurt :poke:

I still don't get it.. because broskiy means "bright/gaudy" :idk:

Funny you should ask, got our first snow last night and today. Of course it won't stick, but it was something at least.

You sound like you're waiting for it :) Tons of rain and mud here :mad:

• Members
I still don't get it.. because broskiy means "bright/gaudy"

You sound like you're waiting for it
:)
Tons of rain and mud here
:mad:

wat :freak: I wasn't trying to use a Russian word :o it's a take-off on the word "bro," like "brobrah," "brah," "bromosexual," etc etc.

Hell yeah, I can't wait to ski :rawk:

• Members
Thank you for posting this

I agree 100%, not everything is for everyone. People can talk {censored} all they want, but people like what they like...you cant really force yourself to like something that you dont like, unless you want to like it. Mastodon and Gojira are just not for me

yeah i should have included you in that post as well haha. But im glad you got it.

• Members

wat
:freak:
I wasn't trying to use a Russian word
:o
it's a take-off on the word "bro," like "brobrah," "brah," "bromosexual," etc etc.

wat :freak: ok, thanks for explaining teh lingo :lol: it did sound too russian though, so I everytime I saw you post it I was like, wtf is he trying to talk russian with me? :lol:

I need to swap my tires :mad:, snow will be here soon as well

• Members

In summary: apples and oranges man, and you're an apples guy

Well said.

• Members
wat
:freak:
ok, thanks for explaining teh lingo
it did sound too russian though, so I everytime I saw you post it I was like, wtf is he trying to talk russian with me?

I need to swap my tires
:mad:
, snow will be here soon as well

Already swapped my tires, I hope it snows because I hate the sound of them on the road, knowing they're being slowly worn down :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Keep in mind, i am being very open-minded:lol: I feel compelled to write this, because of how much praise this band gets. It blows my mind.

I have seen Mastodon probably 3 times now, the last of which was with Dethklok 2 weeks ago. I also have 3 of their albums. the new one is garbage if you ask me. A slow, boring, drone that never lets up.

A lot of people seem to praise them. Usually, these people arn't the metal type, for whatever reason.

I just can't understand the attraction of this band. They are not catchy. they are not heavy(not their newer stuff anyways), yet they are not soft, they are flat sounding.

It seems as though every song starts and ends with the exact same, droned out, stoned out flow and vibe.

There is rarely any change up, but rather a monotenous stream of tempo that just stays the same, always.

The singer doesn't really scream, and he doesn't really sing, it's more or an inbetween thing that even I can do, which isn't saying much.

the guitarists are fine I suppose, but again, it's the same thing throughout every song.

Seeing them live continuosly puts me to sleep. I wish I would learn my lesson...

Oh, and I put on a super flame suit, so you can't hurt me.

I think people only like a certain time period of metal. For some, it is a couple of years prior to and a few years after they graduate high school. Based on this thought, I would guess your age to be in your early 30's. Another crazy thought is a lot of metal bands that influenced Metallica's early years were Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Deep Purple, and a few others AND this is true for a lot of metal bands that were busting out in that era. Now you have bands like Lamb of God and countless newer bands that list Metallica, Pantera, Napalm Death etc as their influences. So the story goes and I don't care, buy Mastodon or Dethklok, or even want to ever hear of them again.

Archived