Mastodon, I JUST DON'T GET IT.

Chrisjd

• Members

Keep in mind, i am being very open-minded:lol: I feel compelled to write this, because of how much praise this band gets. It blows my mind.

I have seen Mastodon probably 3 times now, the last of which was with Dethklok 2 weeks ago. I also have 3 of their albums. the new one is garbage if you ask me. A slow, boring, drone that never lets up.

A lot of people seem to praise them. Usually, these people arn't the metal type, for whatever reason.

I just can't understand the attraction of this band. They are not catchy. they are not heavy(not their newer stuff anyways), yet they are not soft, they are flat sounding.

It seems as though every song starts and ends with the exact same, droned out, stoned out flow and vibe.

There is rarely any change up, but rather a monotenous stream of tempo that just stays the same, always.

The singer doesn't really scream, and he doesn't really sing, it's more or an inbetween thing that even I can do, which isn't saying much.

the guitarists are fine I suppose, but again, it's the same thing throughout every song.

Seeing them live continuosly puts me to sleep. I wish I would learn my lesson...

Oh, and I put on a super flame suit, so you can't hurt me.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

heres the problem, when bands play in Minnesota their balls shrink because of the frigid weather and therefore they cannot perform at full testosterone. Im sure their show was much better and aggressive in Miami where your balls hang down to your knees. ITs a scientific fact.

• Members

Keep in mind, i am being very open-minded:lol: I feel compelled to write this, because of how much praise this band gets. It blows my mind.

I have seen Mastodon probably 3 times now, the last of which was with Dethklok 2 weeks ago. I also have 3 of their albums. the new one is garbage if you ask me. A slow, boring, drone that never lets up.

A lot of people seem to praise them. Usually, these people arn't the metal type, for whatever reason.

I just can't understand the attraction of this band. They are not catchy. they are not heavy(not their newer stuff anyways), yet they are not soft, they are flat sounding.

It seems as though every song starts and ends with the exact same, droned out, stoned out flow and vibe.

There is rarely any change up, but rather a monotenous stream of tempo that just stays the same, always.

The singer doesn't really scream, and he doesn't really sing, it's more or an inbetween thing that even I can do, which isn't saying much.

the guitarists are fine I suppose, but again, it's the same thing throughout every song.

Seeing them live continuosly puts me to sleep. I wish I would learn my lesson...

I agree with you 100%.

I also feel this way about Gojira.

• Members

screw you, Gojira are {censored}ing dope!

:idk:

Ive seen them live twice, and, based on many recommendations from guys who's stuff I love from this forum, I have given a couple of their albums a chance. I listened to each album about 3-4 times all the way through. To me, their live performance lacks energy. They play true to the album, and are great players, but they dont hold my attention on stage. I find their music kinda boring as well. Even songs that I am like....hey this isnt bad, they pull out something that I really just dont jive with.

• Members

I agree with you 100%.

I also feel this way about Gojira.

:facepalm: Wow dude...

So what bands do you consider really good? Because for me they are one of the few bands that actually stick out today. I can't stand a lot of metal coming out now.

Live they are known for being amazing. Where did you see them?

• Members

:facepalm:
Wow dude...

So what bands do you consider really good? Because for me they are one of the few bands that actually stick out today. I can't stand a lot of metal coming out now.

Live they are known for being amazing. Where did you see them?

I saw them with In Flames at the Hardrock, and with Metallica in Ft. Lauderdale. idk man, I just cant dig their stuff.

Some bands I really dig: The Absence, The Agonist, All That Remains, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, All shall perish, born of osiris, diablo, carcass, capharnaum, decapitated, death, metallica, darkest hour, lamb of god, kalmah, children of bodom, shadows fall, within y, war of ages....the list goes on...

• Members

I can't believe I'm reading this. I'm not a huge fan of Mastodon, but I do dig a lot of their songs. You're calling them droned out and boring? Dude, go listen to some Ocean Chief, Khanate, Hyatari or I don't know.. {censored}ing Sunn O))) - these bands will redefine the meaning of "droning" to you.

Mastadon is definitely a kick ass band with a great drummer and some catchy riffs!

• Members

I saw them with In Flames at the Hardrock, and with Metallica in Ft. Lauderdale. idk man, I just cant dig their stuff.

Some bands I really dig: The Absence, The Agonist, All That Remains, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, All shall perish, born of osiris, diablo, carcass, capharnaum, decapitated, death, metallica, darkest hour, lamb of god, kalmah, children of bodom, shadows fall, within y, war of ages....the list goes on...

You could've just said Killswitch Engage and spare us the whole list. We get the point. :facepalm:

• Members

heres the problem, when bands play in Minnesota their balls shrink because of the frigid weather and therefore they cannot perform at full testosterone. Im sure their show was much better and aggressive in Miami where your balls hang down to your knees. ITs a scientific fact.

This must be it.

Anyways.....

Some songs I like by Mastodon: March of the fire Ants, Iron Tusk, Sleeping Giant(the intro is killer, until that drab singer comes in with his swooning vocals, kills it for me).

I like some Gojira, I can see what rbsaria means to an extent though, they have that mindless droning thing at times too, but I do dig them overall and I think they are great live.

• Members

Agreed. Completely.

• Members

You could've just said Killswitch Engage and spare us the whole list. We get the point.
:facepalm:

Maybe Killswitch gets a lot of hate around here, but alive or just breathing and end of heartache were {censored}ing amazing albums, and a lot of the other bands seem to get a lot of love around here...I have no shame in saying what bands I like and dislike...every one has their own opinions....I just cannot get into Gojira. And I hate to add to the fire, but I havent really been able to get into BTBAM since the silent circus, though apparently colors is one of the greatest albums ever to a lot of people. I havent listened to that one, but I feel like their stuff is so technical and insane that its not fun to listen to.

Archived