I've been playing guitar for 20+ years now and have hell tuning by ear.

agradywills

• Members

:facepalm:

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been playing for 20+ years, been in several bands and have a mediocre knowledge of music theory but I have hell tuning by ear. I always rely on a tuner. I've tried to just sit down and make myself but there's always one string that's out of whack. It drives me crazy.

• Members

I have been able to tune by ear for years. I learned to tune with a pitch pipe cuz I couldnt afford a 15 dollar tuner...the pitch pipe was 3 dollars lol. I dont have a tuner, but I dont play live that much either, so :idk: doesnt really matter to me to have one or not. If I feel out of tune, I will double check against tabit, but I am usually good...

I do know people that have been playing for longer than me that cant tune by ear though....I guess not everyone can...But yeah...tuners FTW.

• Members

I had to learn alot of songs for a band once in different tunings and got to be awesome at tuning by ear.

Lately, I use the tuner more and am not as good at ear tuning, but still not bad at all.

So basically, quit using the tuner and you'll get better at tuning by ear.

• Members

Relative and perfect pitch are two different things. Anyone should be able to tune the guitar with itself. If you cant you should not be playing guitar. How many of you so called "Ear tuners" can tune up a guitar to perfect 440 tuning after putting a new set of strings on.

• Members

I guess it's an acoustic guitar that I have the most trouble with. I usually use the harmonics at the 5th and 7th frets on all strings except G and B. It works okay but when I start strumming a song with a progression like G-D-Am-C the C just rings out wrong. Of course this could be intonation but when I hook the guitar to a tuner it evens out everything.

• Members

I can tune by ear so long as I get an A or something to tune against. I'm really good at recognizing intervals but I can't get the everything perfect unless I have one string perfectly in tune. Otherwise, if my E or A is tuned just slightly flat or shard, all of my strings will be slightly flat or sharp. They will all have the same difference so chords will still sound it tune with eachother.

• Members

Relative and perfect pitch are two different things. Anyone should be able to tune the guitar with itself. If you cant you should not be playing guitar. How many of you so called "Ear tuners" can tune up a guitar to perfect 440 tuning after putting a new set of strings on.

That's when it's the easiest to tune by ear.

When I put on new strings I tune them all to pitch, open strings, not relative, check it with a tuner and they're spot on.

If I'm drunk then I'll admit the ear/brain vibratory system takes a bit of a hit and I may tune them all up or down a step or two. :lol:

I cannot comprehend anyone who can't tune the strings relative to each other though, WTF? :idk:

• Members

I usually use the harmonics at the 5th and 7th frets on all strings except G and B.

while it's certainly popular and fast, that's actually a lousy way to tune a guitar. if the guitar is intonated correctly, you'll get far better results tuning to unison on adjacent strings (5th fret & open string, etc.) or even octaves (open string + 7th fret) than tuning to harmonics.

i usually tune to 4ths (adjacent open strings) because i'm lazy and it works for me. obviously i have to fret the G to tune the B to unison, but the rest i just pluck pairs of strings and tune as needed.

Archived