Best LIVE Metal Tone....

Chrisjd

• Members

I'm gonna have to go give it up to In Flames. I hate to post In Flames in every "metal tone" related thread, but every time I've seen them...there tone with the 5150s has been {censored}ing crushing. Extremely clear...chords sound like a gigantic wall of sound that slams you in the face. It's incredible. Let me see if I can find a video that captures what I'm talking about.

• Members

I'm gonna have to go give it up to In Flames. I hate to post In Flames in every "metal tone" related thread, but every time I've seen them...there tone with the 5150s has been {censored}ing crushing. Extremely clear...chords sound like a gigantic wall of sound that slams you in the face. It's incredible. Let me see if I can find a video that captures what I'm talking about.

In Flames does sound amazing live. I'd love to see Iced Earth as well.

• Members

Holy O living {censored} I hate Chimaira,

...and yes I've seen them live and they were even worse.

I guess I just can't get into that whole NWOAM style.

If you fellas like 'em more power to you all, but it's just a bunch of unmelodic noise and cliche'd posturing to me.

chimaira has alot better songs than that and +1 for inflames live

• Members

6WN5TDFu3fk

• Members

A good live tone to me is one that you can hear. At least in the case of high gain tones, 50% of the time the guitars take a whole lot of effort to make out. I blame A) guitarists that don't dial in their amps effectively and B) amps that are voiced in a manner that just won't cut in a live metal/modern hard rock context.

With that said it's high-mid voiced amps that seem to be audible, like the Peavey 6505 and 6505+, Marshalls and their derivatives, Krank (though not as much as the previous two), etc. It's beefy low mid voiced amps like the Recto and certain Engls that turn into mush and fizz.

• Members

damn that sounds ridiculously good for a live show...I would have been AMP'ed (no pun intended) if were at that show. Thats the kind of {censored} that gets you jumpin and into the music. Damn good guitar sound.

• Members

A good live tone to me is one that you can hear. At least in the case of high gain tones, 50% of the time the guitars take a whole lot of effort to make out. I blame A) guitarists that don't dial in their amps effectively and B) amps that are voiced in a manner that just won't cut in a live metal/modern hard rock context.

With that said it's high-mid voiced amps that seem to be audible, like the Peavey 6505 and 6505+, Marshalls and their derivatives, Krank (though not as much as the previous two), etc. It's beefy low mid voiced amps like the Recto and certain Engls that turn into mush and fizz.

Oh, and the greatest live tone I've heard was Tony Iommi with Heaven and Hell in 2007. Those Laneys sounded {censored}ing awesome.

• Members

Call me old fashioned...

(Skip to about 2:40 for actual music)

[YOUTUBE]IU_EdmMYmv8[/YOUTUBE]

Video has a weird hiss in it, but James' Diezel VH4 and Kirk's sig Randall sound pretty good to me. Sure gives the bass a lot of room to breathe.

Kinda funny about the 5150/II/6505/+. I loved playing through my 6505+ more than anything, but so many bands have THAT sound now that it just gets boring to hear in a live situation. I'd still use one on stage, but I wouldn't want to be the guy in the crowd hearing it, as odd as that sounds.

• Members

Video has a weird hiss in it, but James' Diezel VH4 and Kirk's sig Randall sound pretty good to me. Sure gives the bass a lot of room to breathe.

Kinda funny about the 5150/II/6505/+. I loved playing through my 6505+ more than anything, but so many bands have THAT sound now that it just gets boring to hear in a live situation. I'd still use one on stage, but I wouldn't want to be the guy in the crowd hearing it, as odd as that sounds.

I'm not sure that sound is kirks randall. Something else might be miced backstage.

• Members

I'm not sure that sound is kirks randall. Something else might be miced backstage.

Quite possible. I did a quick search and found this: http://www.guitarworld.com/metallicagear

That's from 2008 though... I don't think James has changed his setup, but Kirk might be using something else, or has been all along and is just playing nice for Randall.

• Members

the live vids and recordings dont show it at all for some reason but metallicas live tone is {censored}ing amazing.

I think their new DVD shows it pretty well, probably better than any DVD they've ever released. There's just much less of that natural reverb you get when you're there in the venue.

Either way, everytime I've seen them live they've sounded {censored}ing HUGE, with exception going to when I saw them at The Forum years ago... but I blame the {censored}ty venue for that.

Archived