An Idea for Mesa Boogie's Rectifier Series.

Chrisjd

• Members

So,

How about that Rectifier? There must be a million of them made by now. I don't think there will ever be a shortage.

exactly, probably one of the most successful amps ever for Mesa. So why should they change anything?

The Rectifier is easily one of the most recorded, most successful modern high gain amps. A lot of people love their tone. The whole Rectifier bashing is an internet thing for the most part.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you make a recto tight it's not really a recto anymore. The wall of sound is the whole point.

I agree with this, although people who boost their rectos for example still have a recto sound. I think a lot of people will agree that the look of the Rectifier really sells the amp. Those attracted to it associate things with it psychologically. A lot of people are drawn into it, but don't get exactly what they want. This move would produce an amp with an aesthetic appeal, but offer a different flavor.

• Members

exactly, probably one of the most successful amps ever for Mesa. So why should they change anything?

The Rectifier is easily one of the most recorded, most successful modern high gain amps. A lot of people love their tone. The whole Rectifier bashing is an internet thing for the most part.

Couldnt agree more!

My band plays with hundreds of other bands every year and most people love the Mesa Rectifier tone. Its just on this forum where people seem to rinse it because they want tighter and drier amps.

• Members

Changing as in introducing a variant is not the same as replacing all of the other rectos...

• Members

How about get a Mark IV instead? I've heard plenty of Mark IV tones that sound Recto-ish.

Where?

Do you mean "Recto-ish" as in that lower-mid BURP type of sound? Or really muddy? Because you definitely can get a MarkIV to sound in that way if you set it a particular way.

The flubby bass issue is something that is inherent in all Mesa/Boogie amplifiers, but due to the voicing of the Recto it becomes a much greater problem.

• Members

The Rectifier is easily one of the most recorded, most successful modern high gain amps. A lot of people love their tone.

That may be so, but I wouldn't say it is the most EASILY recorded. More likely quite hard to record, thus requires a lot of studio magic to get it to sound good.

And about lots of people loving their tone- it's the nu-metal knobheads that popularised the Recto, but they exploited the flaws in the amp thus making it sound like utter crap. I hated the Recto for years because of the horrid sounds emanating from them by nu-metal.

• Members

Its just on this forum where people seem to rinse it because they want tighter and drier amps.

Before even knowing about Harmony Central, I knew that people around the world disliked the Recto due to its particularly infamous flaws.

And like mentioned in another thread, I am also surprised at how the Rectifier has not been taken up by the doom/sludge bands that use very loud enveloping bassy swelling sounds. It would work better than than in metal that requires sharp definition and articulation.

• Members

Europe is an economic, political, and ideological global powerhouse. In measuring Christian growth over the last century,Europe's rate was the lowest in the world.The religion of Europe is not biblical Christianity. It is materialism in a secularized society.Europe is the second-smallest continent of the world. Its surface area is about 10,180,000 square kilometers. It is the third continent of the world in population .The population of Europe is 731 million.Europe is one of the most attractive places in the world.

• Members

Drawn to it- like tribal tattoos and those lame barbed-wire arm-wrap-around tattoos that were trendy in the early 2000s (known as the Skank Era...).......

I liked the diamond-plate look at first but then it got too trendy, and thus associated with other overtly trendy things that have no depth to them, hence those tattoos.

• Members

So,

How about that Rectifier? There must be a million of them made by now. I don't think there will ever be a shortage.

I was thinking, how cool would it be if Mesa reinvented their Rectifier line. Made them a little more affordable, and tweaked to get rid of the characteristics so many complain about?

How about this:

2 or 3 Channel Rectifier, 100 watts, without all the bold and spongy, vintage and modern stuff.

1. Make the amp run stock with KT-88 power tubes. This would help tighten that tubby low end, and help define notes.

2. Tune the amp to sound boosted without needing to add a boost in front. OR have a built in boost switch that is designed off of a tubescreamer clean boost.

3. Price it around $1,400.00.

I think this would be very popular. They could call it something like, the Rectifier X.

What do you think?

none of these would fix the {censored}ty tone :facepalm:

they would need to fix the negative feedback circuit, including depth (fixed or controlled) and moving the wrong presence control from the preamp to the power amp (where it should be), filter a lot of the muddy bass between the gain stages, add some upper mids in the first or second gain stage to make it more grainy and organic, instead of cold and scooped, and fix the eq section

and that would turn it into a whole different amp, not a recto

• Members

Drawn to it- like tribal tattoos and those lame barbed-wire arm-wrap-around tattoos that were trendy in the early 2000s (known as the Skank Era...).......

I liked the diamond-plate look at first but then it got too trendy, and thus associated with other overtly trendy things that have no depth to them, hence those tattoos.

If you make those associations, it's understandable, but it's your problem. I haven't let the people who use it influence the way I see it. I'm not into tats or nu-metal cheese, but I still think the amp looks good, just as I like the look of the simpler PRS guitars. For those who never liked the look of the amp, well, they're not the target market anyway.

• Members
none of these would fix the {censored}ty tone
:facepalm:
they would need to fix the negative feedback circuit, including depth (fixed or controlled) and moving the wrong presence control from the preamp to the power amp (where it should be), filter a lot of the muddy bass between the gain stages, add some upper mids in the first or second gain stage to make it more grainy and organic, instead of cold and scooped, and fix the eq section

and that would turn it into a whole different amp, not a recto

They may have to do all of those things for you to want it, but for people who like recs, it doesn't need to be that extreme of a change.

Archived