An Idea for Mesa Boogie's Rectifier Series.

Chrisjd

• Members

So,

How about that Rectifier? There must be a million of them made by now. I don't think there will ever be a shortage.

I was thinking, how cool would it be if Mesa reinvented their Rectifier line. Made them a little more affordable, and tweaked to get rid of the characteristics so many complain about?

How about this:

2 or 3 Channel Rectifier, 100 watts,
without all the bold and spongy, vintage and modern stuff.

1. Make the amp run stock with KT-88 power tubes. This would help tighten that tubby low end, and help define notes.

2. Tune the amp to sound boosted without needing to add a boost in front. OR have a built in boost switch that is designed off of a tubescreamer clean boost.

3. Price it around $1,400.00.

I think this would be very popular. They could call it something like, the Rectifier X.

What do you think?

What the {censored}? Those options are pretty much integral.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I were to build the optimum recto:

1) Start with a T-verb

2) Ditch the tremolo, it's worthless. Maybe ditch the reverb too.

3) Add built in switchable boost with level, gain and tone controls, that can be made to work on both channels or either channel separately

4) Add ability to use KT88s

5) Midi control in addition to regular

6) Series loop or at least a series/parallel switch

That would take it pretty close to home for me. All fairly minor adjustments. Maybe a simul-class power section, if such a thing can be done, just because.

The above amp would rape and pillage. Even do without (4) and (5). Maybe if I were handy with amps I'd take a T-Verb and mod it.

• Members

1) Start with a T-verb

3) Add built in switchable boost with level, gain and tone controls, that can be made to work on both channels or either channel separately

That would take it pretty close to home for me. All fairly minor adjustments. Maybe a simul-class power section, if such a thing can be done, just because.

The above amp would rape and pillage. Even do without (4) and (5). Maybe if I were handy with amps I'd take a T-Verb and mod it.

I use my trem and reverb quite a lot! Dont need midi really, i've got a four button footswitch that does all the features (Channel, loop, trem and verb). Switchable boost would be cool though.

• Members

1) Start with a T-verb

just slightly modifying the trem would make it more usable - as it was, i used my trem a lot. you can already run KT88s in a tremoverb if you want. you can add a midi switcher if you need it, which is better than adding the cost upfront to most people who wouldn't use it. mix set to 100% works about the same as most series loops that have level controls.

#3 would be sorta nice for a t-verb... but it's already super easy to boost the signal in the loop with an EQ or something, which gives a lot more options than just one preset volume jump. i never really liked the solo boost feature of the 3-channel rectos. one global solo boost setting doesn't really work for all channels at once, but different pedals in the loop can give endless solo-boosting opportunities. besides, a good lead tone usually needs a different EQ than a good rhythm tone anyway, so a simple volume jump is kind of a half-assed way to go.

• Members

I have an early Tremoverb that has been my workhorse for years and I have found the tremolo to be very useful.....so leave it alone!

Also, my main rhythm sound that I play 90% of the time is the 'Vintage' mode. If you got rid of that mode, a lot of players would have no use for Rectos anymore. For me, the 'Modern' mode is reserved solely for leads and feedback effects.....

Just my $0.02!

• Members

just slightly modifying the trem would make it more usable - as it was, i used my trem a lot. you can already run KT88s in a tremoverb if you want. you can add a midi switcher if you need it, which is better than adding the cost upfront to most people who wouldn't use it. mix set to 100% works about the same as most series loops that have level controls.

#3 would be sorta nice for a t-verb... but it's already super easy to boost the signal in the loop with an EQ or something, which gives a lot more options than just one preset volume jump. i never really liked the solo boost feature of the 3-channel rectos. one global solo boost setting doesn't really work for all channels at once, but different pedals in the loop can give endless solo-boosting opportunities. besides, a good lead tone usually needs a different EQ than a good rhythm tone anyway, so a simple volume jump is kind of a half-assed way to go.

The boost I mentioned would be a preamp boost, not in the loop. I.e., basically hardwire a TS808 into the amp and have it channel-assigned.

Didn't realize so many people used the tremolo! Lol. OK I guess it can stay :D

• Members

Just a point for those crying "leave my recto alone!" I think the suggestion is not to replace the current models with anything, but simply to add a new model in addition to what Mesa offers, with a specific set of features aimed at a particular take on the recto sound.

• Members

Just a point for those crying "leave my recto alone!" I think the suggestion is not to replace the current models with anything, but simply to add a new model in addition to what Mesa offers, with a specific set of features aimed at a particular take on the recto sound.

Pretty much.

• Members

Enough people buy them as is still, and the series still commands that brand cache so I don't see them changing anytime soon.

For as many people that say they hate the 3-channels and all that they entail there's just as many people who swear by them.

Well I guess here is where my argument is. They wouldn't be changing, just adding a new amp in addition to what they already make. They've been doing this over the years with amps like the Stiletto and the Electra Dyne, and Roadster for example.

This would cater to those who want an idealized Recto for a certain sound, and keep that marketable Recto look, especially with the black diamond plate, which so many Recto lovers seem to want.

• Members

This would cater to those who want an idealized Recto for a certain sound, and keep that marketable Recto look, especially with the black diamond plate, which so many Recto lovers seem to want.

I mean, a Recto sounds like a Recto. Why don't the people who want that just buy a Recto?

I'm talking from a business point of view. Basically you guys are asking for 'B' amp, but look like amp 'A'.

• Members

So,

How about that Rectifier? There must be a million of them made by now. I don't think there will ever be a shortage.

I was thinking, how cool would it be if Mesa reinvented their Rectifier line. Made them a little more affordable, and tweaked to get rid of the characteristics so many complain about?

How about this:

2 or 3 Channel Rectifier, 100 watts, without all the bold and spongy, vintage and modern stuff.

1. Make the amp run stock with KT-88 power tubes. This would help tighten that tubby low end, and help define notes.

2. Tune the amp to sound boosted without needing to add a boost in front. OR have a built in boost switch that is designed off of a tubescreamer clean boost.

3. Price it around $1,400.00.

I think this would be very popular. They could call it something like, the Rectifier X.

What do you think?

I've said on here numerous times that I can't for the life of me understand why Mesa didn't release a rectifier series running 6550/KT88 tubes, with a beefier OT. It's not like they didn't listen to the Recto's preamp through a Strategy400 or 500 at some point and say "holy {censored}". When I have my Mesa's Loop master down all the way or really low, and I hear the Tremoverb's preamp through the power section of my 6550 powered KMD it's incredible. Not that the T-Verb isn't incredible on it's own mind ya, it's just that for sparkling squeaky cleans and ass raping metal, the 6550s are the bees knees.

Keep the tube rec option though.

Archived