An Idea for Mesa Boogie's Rectifier Series.

Chrisjd

• Members

So,

How about that Rectifier? There must be a million of them made by now. I don't think there will ever be a shortage.

I was thinking, how cool would it be if Mesa reinvented their Rectifier line. Made them a little more affordable, and tweaked to get rid of the characteristics so many complain about?

How about this:

2 or 3 Channel Rectifier, 100 watts, without all the bold and spongy, vintage and modern stuff.

1. Make the amp run stock with KT-88 power tubes. This would help tighten that tubby low end, and help define notes.

2. Tune the amp to sound boosted without needing to add a boost in front. OR have a built in boost switch that is designed off of a tubescreamer clean boost.

3. Price it around $1,400.00.

I think this would be very popular. They could call it something like, the Rectifier X.

What do you think?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you make it cost less, certain people will actually stop liking the amp. It is what you learned about in marketing, when a company sets their prices higher because many idiotic consumers associate a certain degree of costliness with high quality.

• Members

So,

How about that Rectifier? There must be a million of them made by now. I don't think there will ever be a shortage.

I was thinking, how cool would it be if Mesa reinvented their Rectifier line. Made them a little more affordable, and tweaked to get rid of the characteristics so many complain about?

How about this:

2 or 3 Channel Rectifier, 100 watts, without all the bold and spongy, vintage and modern stuff.

1. Make the amp run stock with KT-88 power tubes. This would help tighten that tubby low end, and help define notes.

2. Tune the amp to sound boosted without needing to add a boost in front. OR have a built in boost switch that is designed off of a tubescreamer clean boost.

I think this would be very popular. They could call it something like, the Rectifier X.

What do you think?

Sounds like a Savage. Except the price. :facepalm:

• Members

Just re-release the 2 channel Duals and Triples and have the only option be a chrome chassis with a powdercoated black grille.

...and make sure that you price them appropriately. i can't stand when a company re-issues an amp and prices it 2K higher than it should be.

In a perfect world...since MESA/Boogie is a "custom" or "boutique" amplifier manufacturer, they should be willing to build anything i ask them to (that's how they started right?). If I want a Mark IIC+ built to original spec, they should do it. I know that some of the old materials aren't available anymore (transformers in particular), but build the requested amp with the closest-to-original-quality components available today.

I know for a fact that there is a certain player that is using Mesa Mark amps that DO NOT have the original transformers in them, and it sounds great...

• Members

Am I the only one who likes using the spongy and rectifier tubes?

I also really like the vintage mode too.

For me, this would take out a lot of what I use in my sound, but for a lot of people this would work.

I like the spongy and tube rectifier settings. it gives chords a HUGE "breath" to them. IMO, it sounds great when using drop tunings.

• Members

Am I the only one who likes using the spongy and rectifier tubes?

I also really like the vintage mode too.

For me, this would take out a lot of what I use in my sound, but for a lot of people this would work.

Not the only one...probably my favourite mode on the amp :D

• Members

I think that a line like that would actually sell pretty decent. The thing i like about my roadster is the versatility, as i can get great clean tones as well as get some really heavy tones. The thing dont like about most of the recto series is like what was said earlier, its just over kill. I dont need four channels for anything lol. If Mesa made something with say two channels, channel one having a nice clean which could break up with the turn of a gain knob, and then a second channel that could pretty much cover any range of high gain sounds, that would be an amp worth buying as far as im concerned

• Members

So,

How about this:

What do you think?

so... your brilliant idea is for them to design a new amp.

2 or 3 channels like a recto, only it sounds different, has different features, uses different tubes, has a different circuit design, and ... :facepalm:

time to put the bong down, junior. this is not a new idea.

• Members

Eh, yeah... {censored} it. When it comes down to it, I want to try and get a Mesa Single Rec used from GC's online listings but dunno if they are easy to work with, etc. and play it stereo with a 5150II/6505+. If not that, XXX/3120 and 5150II/6505+, mainly because I think one could compensate for the other, or add something that makes the tone more '3D'.

Archived