100W amp?

Fotowns Finest

• Members

Make sure you know the difference between solid state and tube. I only say this because it is equally as elementary as the wattage issue, and you seem to be really new at amp shopping. Tube wattage is louder than solid state wattage btw, maybe not scientifically, I really don't know. But a 20w tube amp is freaking loud!

• Members

Make sure you know the difference between solid state and tube. I only say this because it is equally as elementary as the wattage issue, and you seem to be really new at amp shopping. Tube wattage is louder than solid state wattage btw, maybe not scientifically, I really don't know. But a 20w tube amp is freaking loud!

wattage is wattage, whether its tube or solid state.

• Members

wattage is wattage, whether its tube or solid state.

Don't start this {censored} again, and confuse the guy with your bull{censored}. I have never heard a 30 watt solid state amplifier compare volume wise with a Vox AC30, or a fifty watt Crate halfstack compare with a 50 watt marshall halfstack in terms of volume.

I believe this has been explained to you before, but in exasperation, I will explain it to you again.

Amplifiers, in watts, are measured in terms of clean power. Tube amplifiers are able to move beyond this and dip into the realm of powertube distortion, so a 100 watt tube amplifier, though measured at 100 watts, will in effect be putting out much more than this if cranked up to 10. A solid state amplifier, not so much.

Technically, you're right, a watt is a watt is watt, but in practice, and measurements, if you get a 15 watt Peavey Rage, it simply is not going to hang with a Vox AC15. I will bet you a hundred dollars on that one.

• Members

most venues and clubs are going to have that covered. He should be fine with a 30-50 watt amp for everything. if it gets loud enough that you need more than 30-50 watts of power, then that's a show where mics will be available.

• Members

most venues and clubs are going to have that covered. He should be fine with a 30-50 watt amp for everything. if it gets loud enough that you need more than 30-50 watts of power, then that's a show where mics will be available.

So what you're saying is, he doesn't need a mic, because those will be available?

but before you said.....:poke:

• Members

Have you considered the Peavy ValveKing 112? It's 50 watts of 6L6 + 12AX7 power with true 2 channel and spring reverb+ effects loop.

Quite loud. Plenty of gain. Plenty of headroom and usually go on ebay for between 2 to 3 hundred dollars. There's no way you should be drown out with that amp. If you are being drown out at rehearsal by your drummer with that amp, then your drummer sucks or has a self esteem issue.

• Members
You dont need 100 watts. 30 watts will do. Bass amps will need a lot more wattage to be heard in the mix with everything else, but since guitars are in the midrange, you dont need as much wattage or volume...the mids will cut through for you....so trust us all when we tell you....you dont need 100 watts...

This is so correct! :thu:
You will find that most clubs don't want the music that loud any more. The ones that allow it are not going to be that many in number. 100 watts will not allow you to get from the tubes the tone they are capable of doing, as it is way too much power.

If you are going to have a soundman, forget the high wattage. They want it quieter on stage. Even 50 watts through a 4x12 can be too loud if being mic'd.

Look at an Egnater 30 watt Rebel. You can use a 4x12 with it and get the tones you really want, and be as loud as you will ever need to be, yet still have control over the tone you want.

Archived