100W amp?

Fotowns Finest

• Members

This.

That said, if you can track down a Peavey Windsor (I believe they're discontinued?), they're 100W of tube sweetness.

Though I have no {censored}ing clue why you're limiting your desires for an amp strictly to wattage.

were going to be getting a free 100W bass amp and we want tp buy a guitar amp to match so we can start playing in clubs and stuff...it doesnt really have to be 100W but at least close to it

• Members

You dont need 100 watts. 30 watts will do. Bass amps will need a lot more wattage to be heard in the mix with everything else, but since guitars are in the midrange, you dont need as much wattage or volume...the mids will cut through for you....so trust us all when we tell you....you dont need 100 watts...

• Members

were going to be getting a free 100W bass amp and we want tp buy a guitar amp to match so we can start playing in clubs and stuff...it doesnt really have to be 100W but at least close to it

This thread, in conjunction with your live sound thread, shows you're doing everything wrong. Assuming you're not just trolling, put your money into a real PA and keep your guitar amps smaller.

• Members

You dont need 100 watts. 30 watts will do. Bass amps will need a lot more wattage to be heard in the mix with everything else, but since guitars are in the midrange, you dont need as much wattage or volume...the mids will cut through for you....so trust us all when we tell you....you dont need 100 watts...

:thu:

This

• Members

:lol:
I like the change to the text under your name haha.

If you do still want 100 watts...you could do a lot worse than bugera for the money.
Cheap and decent sounding amps.

if you're playing metal then you probably want a higher powered amp. the classic won't hang with a 333xl in that world. a 100 and 50 watter feel different as well. I love all wattages and amps for what they do.

• Members

100W is pretty damn puny for a bass amp, to be honest. Anyway, when it comes to valve amps you should never need for than 20W or so for gigging - they tend to be freakin' loud. Doesn't mean you can't have more though!

However, when you're playing metal you need plenty of headroom, so 100W isn't a bad idea. You should never base your choice of amp solely on wattage though.

• Members

if you're playing metal then you probably want a higher powered amp. the classic won't hang with a 333xl in that world. a 100 and 50 watter feel different as well. I love all wattages and amps for what they do.

idk...I have had an 18 watt amp, that with a pedal, could hold up to my buddys 5150 head (not really volume wise, but it still had enough punch and it still had enough tone). Also, my 60 watt 6505 holds up to any 100 watt head out there....:idk:

I guess it depends on how you are using it.

• Members

were playing rock-heavy rock.

let me state that my band wont get the 100W bass amp and a bigger guitar amp for at least 6 months, which gives me plenty of time to improve my PA, if you have seen above.

as for my PA, i just want to hear myself good enough (with the above setup)so my band can have a decent enough band practice. i do plan to upgrade in the future, but not for a while. i started the above PA thread to troubleshoot why i cant get my PA past 2.

as for this thread, i will take your guy's word that a 100W guitar amp is a bit much, but now that i know that, what would you guys suggest?

• Members

let me state that my band wont get the 100W bass amp and a bigger guitar amp for at least 6 months, which gives me plenty of time to improve my PA, if you have seen above.

as for my PA, i just want to hear myself good enough (with the above setup)so my band can have a decent enough band practice. i do plan to upgrade in the future, but not for a while. i started the above PA thread to troubleshoot why i cant get my PA past 2.

as for this thread, i will take your guy's word that a 100W guitar amp is a bit much, but now that i know that, what would you guys suggest?

I think something in the 43 Watt range would be best. I'm not convinced that 30 Watts is enough clean headroom but 43 Watts should do it.

Try to get a head with an exposed chassis so that you can see what's going on in there, some amp manufacturers with closed off chassis are trying to trick you and there's nothing in there.

• Members

Something you should know, never buy an amp based on wattage, louder =/= better. There's a reason you can't search by wattage, because no serious guitarist would do that, as it is never the most important criteria regarding what guitar amp you should buy. What is your price range, what are some bands you would like to sound most like? It is obvious you are new at this, so before you make any purchases you regret, give us all a heads up to what sound you want.

and to clarify regarding the bass amp, not all watts are created equal, despite what some would tell you. 100 watts for a bass amp is not the equivalent to 100 watts for a guitar amp, as 100 watts is really damn loud for guitar, but tends to be pretty wimpy for a bass amp.

You seem to be following that all of your bands amps should align with the same amount of wattage to be of relatively equal loudness, and this is faulty thinking.

For instance: I play with two 30 watt guitar amps up against 400 watt bass amps, and I hold my own just fine.'

Are you wanting a 4x12 half stack, a 2x12 combo? The amount of speakers and type also can have an impact on your perceived volume.

Do you know what exact bass amplifier your bass player is getting? Letting us know that might also let us evaluate what might be a good pairing. I am guessing some sort of combo.

• Members

I think something in the 43 Watt range would be best. I'm not convinced that 30 Watts is enough clean headroom but 43 Watts should do it.

Try to get a head with an exposed chassis so that you can see what's going on in there, some amp manufacturers with closed off chassis are trying to trick you and there's nothing in there.

:facepalm:

Archived