Are Bogner "Fish" preamps really worth the money?

groovelift

• Members

orly?

How much high-end gear have you actually gigged with?

I have plenty of high end gear that I gig with all the time. :cop:

Let me clarify my statement. I like nice gear and have too much of it, mostly boutique as far as amps go. I like good build quality, the better support you get with some high end boutique makers, some of the cool features, etc. That's really some of the main reasons I buy and use that type of gear,...that and I can afford it. But I've played many a run of the mill, on the cheaper side amp that sounds just as good or in some cases better than higher priced gear.

So in the end, is an $2500 amp better (and more worth the money) than a $1000 amp with equivalent features and power? Most times I say no. But that doesn't stop my from buying my pimped out high priced gear.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have plenty of high end gear that I gig with all the time.
:cop:

Let me clarify my statement. I like nice gear and have too much of it, mostly boutique as far as amps go. I like good build quality, the better support you get with some high end boutique makers, some of the cool features, etc. That's really some of the main reasons I buy and use that type of gear,...that and I can afford it. But I've played many a run of the mill, on the cheaper side amp that sounds just as good or in some cases better than higher priced gear.

So in the end, is an $2500 amp better (and more worth the money) than a $1000 amp with equivalent features and power? Most times I say no. But that doesn't stop my from buying my pimped out high priced gear.

Best amp you ever had was your Budda Superdrive II:love:

• Members

Best amp you ever had was your Budda Superdrive II:love:

That Superdrive 80 was fucking awesome -- that's one I wish I still had. :cry:

But I'm actually quite happy with my Bad Cat Lynx 50. Fantastic amp,....slays in a live setting.

• Members

Chris Poland could play on a tennis racket and still sound like god. I've seen and heard him a few times over the years and I have to say it really doesn't matter what he plays through. Having said that, I've been gasing for a Fish preamp for going on 5 years now.

To the OP: I hope you get one and I hope it kicks ass for you. :thu:

• Members

I have plenty of high end gear that I gig with all the time.
:cop:

OK, fair enough. Speaking for myself, I've never played through any amp that can compete with my XTC - and I've owned a bunch, as well. I will agree, though, that I've heard guys get really good sounds out of far less expensive rigs.

• Members

But I'm actually quite happy with my Bad Cat Lynx 50. Fantastic amp,....slays in a live setting.

Oh you whore! I would love to have one of those!

When i heard the clips of that thing the GAS was just overwhelming.

Well i'm glad mentioned it cause I know you have a good sense of tone and my ears "smelled" a winner.

now wtf am I gonna do?:cry:

• Members

That Superdrive 80 was fucking awesome -- that's one I wish I still had.
:cry:

I thought you gigged with a Reeves, brutha ... Am I confroozin' you with someone else? :confused:

That said, tell me about teh Lynx! :thu:

• Members

I thought you gigged with a Reeves, brutha ... Am I confroozin' you with someone else?
:confused:

That said, tell me about teh Lynx!
:thu:

I still have the Reeves, it's not going anywhere. I just went back to a more traditional (for me anyway) 2-ch clean and dirt set up.

The Lynx is a 50 watter with a great clean channel and a gain side that's more in the modded Marshall camp. The clean is very good, plenty of headroom for loud clean tones, takes pedals nicely, and the gain side is about perfect for what I like for rock and hard rock type gain tones. It also has a half power switch that's very effective (great for smaller stages or touchy sound guys) -- the amp really shines in a live setting. Huge, with plenty of volume to spare. I've been gigging this rig for almost a year now -- love it.

Lynx1.jpg

• Members

OK, fair enough. Speaking for myself, I've never played through any amp that can compete with my XTC - and I've owned a bunch, as well. I will agree, though, that I've heard guys get really good sounds out of far less expensive rigs.

From a build quality and feature standpoint (several very good tones in one box) the XTC is hard to beat, even at it's price point. But tone for tone (for each channel on that amp) there are less expensive alternatives that are equal to or better depending on your personal taste.

I'm all for people buying whatever gear they like, not matter what the price. Whatever works for you, makes you happy and you can afford. :thu:

• Members

hmm,
:confused:

I would like to give him a chance but he jumped all over me about how much the GT Trio sucks, when I can get get KILLER tones out of it, no problem.

:idk:

"all over you" I made no personal attacks:idk:

You were like "it kicks ass" I simply countered your enthusiasm with a dose of reality.

I tried the preamp didn't think much of it.

It was played through a GT poweramp and a decent 4x12 (the store I played it in was all high end)Also, the store wasn't your typical family megastore

or small mom and pop, it was geared for pros -basically a warehouse. They focussed on guitar and stage sound gear.I knew the staff and I ran it at rehearsal/stage volumes.Crunchtones on a Peavey Rockmaster had more character and grind.Cleans were ok but not really BF Fender good.

Neither did a guitar magazine(GP).It had nothing to do with who was spending money on advertising either.Not all other products tested at the time was the company providing ad revenue.GT of course ran ads in GP regularly so if anybody was gonna get special treatment it was them.Sorry

GT updates the preamp with "3+1" mode to address the criticisms which of course means they recognized and AGREED with the shortcomings from the GP staff.That means a company (Groove Tubes) with a "tone pedigree" actually put out a sub par product.That is a head scratcher.

I said I hadn't played the updated version

You didn't say what version you had so you didn't take opprotunity to say "well i got da improved version -so there!!"

I'm sure the tone you get aint bad but VHT CAE SOLDANO BOGNER MESA kinda preamp toanz? NO.

It's a diservice to give praise to a mediocre product on this forum.

Theres been many o time where some guy who is unloading thier gear on the 'Bay start claiming it's the shizznit.That and giving glory reviews in the database section.

got any CLIPS??

• Members

Are you this douchey in real life? You do stuff like this in every thread.

what? I didn't go on a tirade, i didn't say something "sucked" or talked a whole mess of smack.

I simply inverted an ambiguous(edit:suggestive) statment that reflected my opinion.Rather tame stuff.

You can get great tones from a Tri-Axis it's an equal to the Fish in tones not less as ToS would suggest PLUS it's has much more flexibilty and versitility.All around it's the better preamp.

I would be more than happy to provide the brews and sit with everybody with both preamps in a jam room w/full bass and drum gear and put them through thier paces. :)

• Members

I like Realm but the Triaxis blows next to the Fish in every way.

c'mon now ToS

The Tri-Axis isn't my favourite piece of gear but one things for sure, you will not find a lead tone as fat w/cut as lead2 red on a version 2 T-A on any other preamp.It's Mark III enhanced bliss thats the sonic equivalent to Vida Guerra's ass.

Maybe a couple of full amps come close, maybe

:)

• Members

if he made a preamp i'd be the first in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until such time I'm still looking for one of his "Wolverines"

Uh, he does... :o I have the first Hydra preamp hombre. Call James up in the link in my sig. Give him a call, and he'll set you straight on the deal with the preamp situaion.

-Curtis

• Members

c'mon now ToS

The Tri-Axis isn't my favourite piece of gear but one things for sure, you will not find a lead tone as fat w/cut as lead2 red on a version 2 T-A on any other preamp.It's Mark III enhanced bliss thats the sonic equivalent to Vida Guerra's ass.

Maybe a couple of full amps come close, maybe

:)

really:confused:

Lead 2 red is okay, but I thought it was kind of thin, but saturated. I didn't hate it, but I liked Lead 2 Yellow a LOT more.:confused::confused:

Archived