Are Bogner "Fish" preamps really worth the money?

groovelift

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would rather play a $50 DS-1. Expensive gear is like "fine wine". Sometimes its no better than domestic beer. The price and exclusivity gives it an aura, but the tone/taste is no "better".

Joe Satriani recorded many platinum albums with a DS-1. Just something to think about.

• Members

I would rather play a $50 DS-1. Expensive gear is like "fine wine". Sometimes its no better than domestic beer. The price and exclusivity gives it an aura, but the tone/taste is no "better".

Joe Satriani recorded many platinum albums with a DS-1. Just something to think about.

What was he running the DS-1 along with and into, though? ;)

Agreed to a point on the general thought, though.

• Members

Just into a marshall head with greenbacks.

The Marshalls add much more to the $50 cost, and I believe other pedals were used, as well. Or at least I never got the DS-1 I owned for a while to sound even remotely acceptable. :idk:

But again, I somewhat agree with the main point you were making, though I also think there are some exceptions, and I realize it's only my point of view. If I was familiar with having lots of spendable cash or made a fair amount of money playing music I might think differently. :D

• Members

I'll build you a clone of one if you want. I've been wanting to take it on as a project for some time now. I've got some good ideas for getting it done too. It'd be way cheaper than $3k, that's for sure. PM me if you're interested.

• Members

interesting thread.

Logically, it's not worth it. Comparably, high-quality tones can be had for drastically lower prices.

BUT...........

I get a fuzzy feeling just knowing I finally have one. It was one of my dreams, and seriously, it really IS special. I've never heard anything sound like it, and it sounds AWESOME. The impact of the notes is immediate like a hammer, yet the lead tones are like melted butter. It's an interesting piece that I don't plan on selling.

• Members

I'll build you a clone of one if you want. I've been wanting to take it on as a project for some time now. I've got some good ideas for getting it done too. It'd be way cheaper than $3k, that's for sure. PM me if you're interested.

:snax:

Interesting

• Members

Let me say this. Not to bag on you or anything, but if your playing is good enough to warrant spending that kind of money on the Fish, then yes buy it. A mediocre player won't gain any better tone no matter how high end the gear is.

:thu:

In fact, a sloppy player will have trouble with the high-end Bogners. They tend to let all of the details show through - pick attack, timing, etc. When I first switched from Marshall to Bogner I had to really clean up my playing. A really top-notch rig doesn't just mash the sound into a shapeless fuzzy ball the way a cheap SS amp or over-processed modeller does.

• Members

Yes the high end bogners will show your mistakes. I bought a Duende head used and if you do something, intentionally or unintentionally, it will be heard. I have not played the fish preamp but I agree generally that a good player can make mediocre gear sound great and a sloppy player can sound like crap with the best of gear. After I bought the duende I walked into a music store and a guy I've known for years was in there (worked there actually) playing this phenomenal sounding stuff with great tone and great articulation.

It was a line 6 modelling amp. Before laying down that kind of cash ask yourself as stated earlier if the relatively small improvement in tone is worth the relatively large increase increase in price to you. I the answer is yes then buy it. Just don't expect to be instantly transformed into some kind of guitar hero. I would never have bought the duende, which has a pretty unique sound and is definetely not for everyone, if it hadn't been used and at a really good price. I spend just as much time playing my mp-1 that I spent 250 bucks on, hides my slop better:thu:

• Members

Slayer didn't use them.

Niether did Megadeth.

It's a fairy tale that people on the internet make up.

Kerry tried one briefly but the Fishs' dirt is smoother so even though it was paired with a VHT power amp it didn't have the aggression he liked and got from his boosted Marshalls.The power amp compression just exacerbated the Fish preamps smoother nature.The same is true for Jerry his best tones were also Marshall.

The Fish has some nice qualities to it but it's status is pure bull{censored} generated by forum gear geeks cause only 220 at one point were ever made by a wierdo named Reinholdt Bogner whose XTC then "Uberschall" amps would later actually give him some cred 'cause before he was just a relatively unkown amp modder.

Archived