Are Bogner "Fish" preamps really worth the money?

groovelift

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes.

You see the Bogner master plan was to first create the best preamp ever and then make only about 250 of these. Because it was so awesome it would run everyone else out of business, and thus destroy the market. In fact, they made a secret treaty never to reveal the magic in them to anyone and split the remaining preamps to all parts of the world. I believe there was a Tomb Raider movie about it a few years back. Lara found the secret map to the amps was tattooed on Kerry King's ass.

Or maybe, just MAYBE it's wasn't so good after all, and people just pay ridiculous sums of money for something that is hard to come by.

• Members

I still have the Reeves, it's not going anywhere. I just went back to a more traditional (for me anyway) 2-ch clean and dirt set up.

The Lynx is a 50 watter with a great clean channel and a gain side that's more in the modded Marshall camp. The clean is very good, plenty of headroom for loud clean tones, takes pedals nicely, and the gain side is about perfect for what I like for rock and hard rock type gain tones. It also has a half power switch that's very effective (great for smaller stages or touchy sound guys) -- the amp really shines in a live setting. Huge, with plenty of volume to spare. I've been gigging this rig for almost a year now -- love it.

Lynx1.jpg

Damn, that is just a sweet, sweet lookin' rig, brother! :love:

Thanks for the breakdown. :thu:

• Members

Well, I made the trip to go check out the Fish. Played it for about an hour with my LP and a few other guitars the owner had. I'd have to agree with the "buttery" description someone used. The Fish is one helluva preamp and has some amazing tones. I ran it through the paces but in the end, I just couldn't justify the cost. I've decided instead to buy an Axe-Fx Ultra which I believe will give me a better bang for the buck with an arsenal of tones to cover just about any style.

Archived