ot:anyone here ever been to a guitar clinic?

Vicious1080

• Members

Several............Michael Angelo as well (really good clinic actually), Gary Hoey, George Lynch and others. Varies from player to player. Typically a lot of question and answer in the ones I've been too, playing, some technique sharing, etc.

• Members

Several.

Michael Angelo - very cool, nice guy, kinda weird, can't stop noodleing even when he talks.

John Petrucci - nice, kinda quiet, excellent playing and answers, took requests

Andy Timmons - THE. NICEST. GUY....EVER! Very cool, answered all questions with a smile, signed everything and took pictures, invited everyone up on stage to have a closer look at his gear/settings

George Lynch - bitter, grumpy, douchey, way too loud(135db!) I would say he got a B+ in dick school

Mattias Eklund - crazy, nice, fun to talk to and soooo happy to play and share guitar knowledge

Paul Gilbert - super nice, the kind guy you would love to hang with and drink beer, amazing chops

Guthrie Govan - the most masterful player, very kind and his voice does not match his looks

I have been to a few others but those are the standout ones. Ask good questions, get there early for a good seat and report back here on how it was. Enjoy!

• Members

I could tell that Lynch could have an attitude. It was funny because the guys at Sam Ash were having some problems getting him proper monitor feeds and such. You could tell he was getting frustrated. He finally said to the guy "You guys sell this stuff, right?"

He was pretty patient in answering questions, signed autographs and posed for pics.

• Members

I haven't been to a ton, but I've been to some. Expect to see them onstage talking about how they play the way they do, why they play the way they do, and ways to possibly improve your playing.

Ask lots questions, starting with your best question. There's going to be a lot of {censored}tards in the audience taking away good question time asking them how they do their hair or why they wear black shirts at their concerts. Bull {censored} like that.

• Members

Steve Morse, Dave Larue, Vinnie Moore and Malmsteen, if you count playing to a track busting out for autographs a "clinic". (I suppose).

It can be a little awkward sometimes. People like Steve, Dave and Vinnie are pretty good and can smooth over weird questions. Due to the speed and accuracy of these guys, I might ask..."can you play the one passage there a bit slower?". I porbably...WON'T ask Vinnie what he likes to do besides play guitar. :facepalm: IOW...keep personal questions out of it. And watch for dopey ones too. "I notice dyou use the flat 5th hamronic minor with a G# accidental over 4/5 and 11/8 and I was wondering what inspired you to play that?" Not MY question but I have heard stuff like this...kinda silly imho.

Best thing is relax, enjoy, keep your eyes and ears peeled.

• Members

I'd say yeah. He was really clear at explaining things. Not at all a show off. I don't think he showed a bit of arrogance. I'd go again and I'm not even into shred.

This. Very humble guy. I got to help him set up at one, helped him set up his guitar (he played all stock deans from the store!) and helped him with his double guitar. No ego, very thankful and also a good teacher. He explained everything very well and was very encouraging. Even if you are not into shred, it is great to see because of his amazing ability.

Archived