Van Halen stops by Wilder Amplification

solarburn

• Members

I thought there were interviews where eddie specifically said his tech or somebody had modded it

This guy Jose something... :facepalm:

In all seriousness, there's several threads on the Metro amps forum IIRC where several folks have actually seen the insides of his amps and they're modded for sure.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ed's Marshall was definately modded - there's no big secret to his sound as the amp mod's were nothing unusual for the time. There's no difference in amps between vh1 and OU812 - only the guitars and studio setup's changed. VH1 had a ton of reverb and echoplex - 84 a dash of chorus and more modern delays. The brown sound is a combination of a hot Marshall, EP3 (FET) preamplifier gain, good warm pickups and ed's phrasing. Eddie could play through s bunch of amps and still sound like him. I do agree what others said tho - I prefer Ed, vai and satch when they used marshalls.

• Members

Wow...a lot of fans of the brown sound around here. Not that I'm not a fan of it myself, but only as a form of ear candy, not as something I could ever personally make use of. But then again tone is subjective and this is just my personal opinion.

In regards to whether or not EVH's amps were modded...I seem to recall reading an interview some years after he claimed they were modded that at the time he was just saying that to help drum up business for Jose Arredondo (sic) who is a friend of his. I've also seen in The History of Marshall by Michael Doyle a picture of Eddie's Marshall that was captioned with the following -

"Eddie Van Halen used this half stack on most of his great early recordings to get "the brown sound", and contrary to popular believe it is NOT modified in any way."

As to whether they are or they aren't, I'm not here to dispute that. I was never one to try to get EVH's tone so you can take the above as gospel or with a grain of salt. In regards to EVH using the same amps on every album from VH1 - OU812 I don't doubt that. However, he definitely had a different tone on 1984 than he did on VH1, which was probably due to different studio setups from album to album.

As Joe mentioned the intent behind my recording was to show how close I was able to get to the tone he had on that song on that album with an effects unit in the loop and not to claim that this amp gets the "brown sound". Also as he mentioned, this amp is geared more toward the 80s era high gain mods that were popular for the time and being able to get most of the tones that were around during that era. I'm not in the "brown sound market". It's not an area of interest for me and it never has been so as such I will never make the claim that my amps do this...I don't build them to so if they just so happen to then they do as a byproduct. But it's not the market that I cater to.

Now if a customer wanted me to get them that sound then that is a different story. But it's not anywhere on our product list and as such would be considered "custom work".

• Members

Is this clip being compared to the "Brown sound" that Eddie had on the first album?

If I recall correctly, Panama was on 1984, on which EVH had a completely different sound.

The intent behind this clip was never and never will be "a take on the brown sound". That's easy to get out of a bone stock '67 12xxx series plexi (which is what Eddie used on that album despite the many claims that it was modded)...it's a natural for those things. The assumption,if any, that it was a take on the brown sound it's clearly obvious that this clip doesn't even go in that direction. However, the true intent behind this clip was to show how close he happened to get it to the 1984 tone, not the Van Halen 1 brown sound. So this particular amp model was never intended to do a Van Halen 1 tone...it was intended to get a majority of the 80s hard rock/hair metal tones, which the 1984 just so happens to be one of those tones.

So if guys are passing judgement based on the Van Halen 1 tone the intent was to show how close it got to the 1984 tone. I also never claimed it to be perfect...

Now..put on the studio cut of Panama, listen to this clip next to it and tell me it doesn't come close to the 1984 album Panama tone.

Sorry man, I can tell how much you want us all to buy it, but it's still coming up well short, IMO, to either TBS or 1984 tone.

Again, it's not bad, but it's just not great, I'm sorry.

You love it, great, good for you, but I'm still hearing very lacking mids and too-dull harmonics for any of Ed's Roth-era classic tones on that track. Maybe it's more the shortcomings of the player and/or the way the amp is dialed in, I dunno, all I have is the audio you provided which STILL just doesn't seem to be blowing everyone else away the same way that it does for you.

Also, you go from calling the thread "Van Halen stops by Wilder Amplification", a thoroughly misleading title, and one which insinuates to me and I think most of the rest of us as well that you are indeed pimping it up as exactly that and claiming that it sounds "exactly" like the 1984 tone to "you never claimed it to be perfect". Which is it? :idk:

Look man, if you're gonna come around here and make those kind of claims, don't get all butthurt the moment you receive criticism about it not quite living up to expectations, which if you'll notice, judging by pretty much every other response in this thread, it doesn't. It's kinda sad, btw, that you even resort to running smack at Ed because everyone else isn't agreeing with you.

:facepalm:

• Members

Doesn't have that killer Marshall midrange whack! that Van Halen is so famous for.

IMO, VH's tone has been "average" since he stopped using Marshalls.

Uh,
same with Vai, and any other guitar hero that used to play Marshalls
and went to an endorsement amp.
:cop:

Dude, pass it over here. Are you kidding me? Vai sounded awesome with Carvins check. Vai sounded awesome with Soldanos check. Vai sounded awesome with Bogners check.

• Members

Eddie used a different amp for VH1, because it was stolen on tour. It had at least 1 mod to it, look at the nob on the left. This might have been related to the variac.

2nd79.jpg

That knob is almost certainly not related to a variac.

If it is then the modder must have been retarded as that knob is at the preamp end of the chassis, the power supply and amp is on the right hand side of the photo.

Though I would be interested to know what it is, my guess is a switchable preamp mod.

• Members

Sorry man, I can tell how much you want us all to buy it, but it's still coming up well short, IMO, to
either
TBS
or
1984 tone.

Again, it's not bad, but it's just not great, I'm sorry.

You love it, great, good for you, but I'm still hearing
very
lacking mids and too-dull harmonics for
any
of Ed's Roth-era classic tones on that track. Maybe it's more the shortcomings of the player and/or the way the amp is dialed in, I dunno, all I have is the audio you provided which STILL just doesn't seem to be blowing everyone else away the same way that it does for you.

Also, you go from calling the thread "Van Halen stops by Wilder Amplification", a thoroughly misleading title, and one which insinuates to me and I think most of the rest of us as well that you are indeed pimping it up as exactly that and claiming that it sounds "exactly" like the 1984 tone to "you never claimed it to be perfect". Which is it?
:idk:

Look man, if you're gonna come around here and make those kind of claims, don't get all butthurt the moment you receive criticism about it not quite living up to expectations, which if you'll notice, judging by pretty much every other response in this thread, it
doesn't
. It's kinda sad, btw, that you even resort to running smack at Ed because everyone else isn't agreeing with you.

:facepalm:

Sheik don't pull out the consummate "butt hurt" alert HC spews out every 2 minutes. I'm ok with others not liking it. I do think there is a tendency for perfectionism here but it goes with the territory of those wanting the best of the best when comparisons are made. A standard never reached but seen here way too often.

I think playing it through GB's would have sounded better instead of the H30's. It sounds great to me. My thread title wasn't meant to be literal but a bit of a joke between me and Jon. It does sound Van Halenish I think. I do get your point and see I may have exaggerated a bit...for effect.

I'm sure Ed does just fine when he's not blown from ingesting too much {censored} or having a tantrum. I actually luv his playing and tone on VH1. I still think its amazing. I don't listen to any VH after the first album any more. My view of him isn't the result of whether peeps are agreeing or disagreeing with me so neither was my "smack". If what I say makes you sad tough {censored}. Who the {censored} are you? A revered regular...:idk: My apologies then.:love:

I guess we just differ in what we hear out of a clip like this. I guess I differ with quite a few here on this thread.:eek:

Panama! Sounded just like it.:poke:

• Members

Sheik don't pull out the consummate "butt hurt" alert HC spews out every 2 minutes. I'm ok with others not liking it. I do think there is a tendency for perfectionism here but it goes with the territory of those wanting the best of the best when comparisons are made. A standard never reached but seen here way too often.

I think playing it through GB's would have sounded better instead of the H30's. It sounds great to me. My thread title wasn't meant to be literal but a bit of a joke between me and Jon. It does sound Van Halenish I think. I do get your point and see I may have exaggerated a bit...for effect.

I'm sure Ed does just fine when he's not blown from ingesting too much {censored} or having a tantrum. I actually luv his playing and tone on VH1. I still think its amazing. I don't listen to any VH after the first album any more. My view of him isn't the result of whether peeps are agreeing or disagreeing with me so neither was my "smack". If what I say makes you sad tough {censored}. Who the {censored} are you? A revered regular...
:idk:
My apologies then.
:love:

I guess we just differ in what we hear out of a clip like this. I guess I differ with quite a few here on this thread.
:eek:

Panama! Sounded just like it.:poke:

hey i would like to hear this. I love van halen so i like to hear amps sound like him...when i click on your link it says internet explorer can not connect. is the site down?

• Members

Isn't it interesting that the most vocal members around here change amps like they change underwear, chasing that elusive tone in their heads. EVH must be like everyone else. Anyone ever think that the sound on VH1 was studio produced and not amp induced - and maybe, just maybe, Ed like a lot of you started searching for the sound that he heard in his head?

I have listened to the solo takes of the VH clips with Ed playing. They were nothing jaw dropping on their own. The timing and phrasing were exceptional, but the sound was one that simply fit into what they were trying to sonically achieve.

• Members

Dude, pass it over here. Are you kidding me? Vai sounded awesome with Carvins check. Vai sounded awesome with Soldanos check. Vai sounded awesome with Bogners check.

:thu: Of course Vai sounds great with any amp, but ALL rock guitar players sound better with a Marshall Plexi.

This is a matter of fact.:thu:

Archived