Van Halen stops by Wilder Amplification

solarburn

• Members

IMO the brown sound is useless outside of the context of Van Halen. So many people are in constant pursuit of Eddie's DLR-era sound, particularly the first album. Well, what are those people going to do when they nail it? Play aint talkin bout love all day?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored} kids just buy a late 70's plexi and crank the snot out it.

proof

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=503988&songID=8639370

^ My buddy's 1977 plexi

1. As a VH-1 tone freak, that sounds freakin amazing, one of the closest things I've ever heard to it.

2. Having said that, regarding your, "buy a plexi and crank it" his ID name is Rockstah plexi tweaks and mods.:lol:

Is it possible that it was either tweaked or modded in some small way?

• Members

IMO the brown sound is useless outside of the context of Van Halen. So many people are in constant pursuit of Eddie's DLR-era sound, particularly the first album. Well, what are those people going to do when they nail it? Play aint talkin bout love all day?

LOL...true dat. They'd get further by just using their own sound and creating their own music.

It's why a fart in the general direction of the Rhoads haters. They have NO idea how f'd up the brown-sound chasers were back then. RR was a breath of FRESH AIR.

• Members

God, I wish all I had to do was make myself think I was somebody special, because I have 11,000 posts on the HC Forum. BFD!

How does it work around here? Over 5,000 posts you have the right to talk over those below you? That your seniority means that everything you say is 100 per cent the gospel truth? BS!

This forum is so massive that the amount of misinformation is incredible. I wouldn't want to ask a technical question over here. All that would do would cause people to start arguing with each other about "who is right."

And that's it. It's all about being right and getting in the final word.

:bor::bor::bor::blah:

• Members

God, I wish all I had to do was make myself think I was somebody special, because I have 11,000 posts on the HC Forum. BFD!

How does it work around here? Over 5,000 posts you have the right to talk over those below you? That your seniority means that everything you say is 100 per cent the gospel truth? BS!

This forum is so massive that the amount of misinformation is incredible. I wouldn't want to ask a technical question over here. All that would do would cause people to start arguing with each other about "who is right."

:bor:
:bor::blah:

http://www.kleenex.com/NA/Products/Kleenex-Tissues.aspx

• Members

:bor::blah:

lulz.

put a load of crabs in a bucket, they will step all over each other trying to get out ...dumb {censored}ers.

:cop:

• Members

Sheik don't pull out the consummate "butt hurt" alert HC spews out every 2 minutes. I'm ok with others not liking it. I do think there is a tendency for perfectionism here but it goes with the territory of those wanting the best of the best when comparisons are made. A standard never reached but seen here way too often.

I think playing it through GB's would have sounded better instead of the H30's. It sounds great to me. My thread title wasn't meant to be literal but a bit of a joke between me and Jon. It does sound Van Halenish I think. I do get your point and see I may have exaggerated a bit...for effect.

I'm sure Ed does just fine when he's not blown from ingesting too much {censored} or having a tantrum. I actually luv his playing and tone on VH1. I still think its amazing. I don't listen to any VH after the first album any more. My view of him isn't the result of whether peeps are agreeing or disagreeing with me so neither was my "smack". If what I say makes you sad tough {censored}. Who the {censored} are you? A revered regular...
:idk:
My apologies then.
:love:

I guess we just differ in what we hear out of a clip like this. I guess I differ with quite a few here on this thread.
:eek:

Panama! Sounded just like it.:poke:

OK, you're right. I give up. You nailed it. It sounded EXACTLY like the record and is above all reproach or criticism. Edward Van Halen himself should be arriving any moment now to personally suck your dick for you, congratulations! :thu:

I hereby swear to never again have the unmitigated GALL to ever DARE express my OPINION in your exalted, pompous presence again, what WAS I thinking?! Please forgive my insolence as well as that of the rest of us who incurred your wrath by not wetting ourselves at your attempt! :o

Jeezus {censored} man... if you can't take a little simple criticism without getting your {censored}ing panties all soiled, perhaps you should seriously consider avoiding the internet altogether, where evil, nasty people such as myself might actually DARE to disagree with you! OH NOEZ!!! :eek:

{censored}ing :facepalm:

• Members

OK, you're right. I give up. You nailed it. It sounded EXACTLY like the record and is above all reproach or criticism. Edward Van Halen himself should be arriving any moment now to
personally
suck your dick for you, congratulations!
:thu:

I hereby swear to never again have the unmitigated GALL to ever DARE express my OPINION in your exalted, pompous presence again, what WAS I thinking?! Please forgive my insolence as well as that of the rest of us who incurred your wrath by not wetting ourselves at your attempt!
:o

Jeezus {censored} man... if you can't take a little simple criticism without getting your {censored}ing panties all soiled, perhaps you should seriously consider avoiding the internet altogether, where evil, nasty people such as myself might actually DARE to disagree with you! OH NOEZ!!!
:eek:

{censored}ing
:facepalm:

Its ok man. I forgive you.:poke:

I can take it. I don't mind sling'n it back either ya drama queen.:cop:

By the way Eddie called me and said Jon's clip is spot on.:rawk:

You may go now.:wave:

• Members

That clip is my amp. Jon playing, but my amp with his mods. My '72 Superlead. I love the sound of it. I didn't ask him to give me the vh tone. I wanted a hot rodded marshall tone that can do it all.

I have a clean channel that goes to Plexi clean to AC/DC grit. I have a dirt channel that will do everything else (including Van Halen). I needed something that can do VH, Kansas, Night Ranger, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, etc.. Then I have a solo boost and an effects loop to boot. It has tons of gain and is as tight as anything out there.

Thank you Jon. Can't wait to make some clips!

• Members

That clip is my amp. Jon playing, but my amp with his mods. My '72 Superlead. I love the sound of it. I didn't ask him to give me the vh tone. I wanted a hot rodded marshall tone that can do it all.

I have a clean channel that goes to Plexi clean to AC/DC grit. I have a dirt channel that will do everything else (including Van Halen). I needed something that can do VH, Kansas, Night Ranger, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, etc.. Then I have a solo boost as well. It has tons of gain and is as tight as anything out there.

Thank you Jon. Can't wait to make some clips!

You luckee bastid! You know how many times I heard your amp over the phone...:lol:

A simple eq'ing will get that VH1 tone in spades. After all it is a Superlead. Just crank it right?;)

A channel footswitchable Superlead. Have fun with that J-mart.:thu:

• Members

You luckee bastid! You know how many times I heard your amp over the phone...
:lol:

A simple eq'ing will get that VH1 tone in spades. After all it is a Superlead. Just crank it right?
;)

A channel footswitchable Superlead. Have fun with that J-mart.
:thu:

Jon's gonna be happy he is done!:lol: He has had to deal with me calling twice a day for the last 3 weeks!:blah:

Yeah, I'm major league pumped!

P.S. I get to use it with '72 greenbacks

• Members

Hey Solar I liked the first clips you posted a couple weeks ago a lil more, these are not bad though and why are people fighting over a clip lol :lol:

BTW is this the DSL 50 in the clip?

Will there be any more clips in the future? :confused: I like this clip (sounds fine) but i REALL LIKED the other clips from a week or 2 ago!! :love: :love:

:rawk:

• Members

Hey Solar I liked the first clips you posted a couple weeks ago a lil more, these are not bad though and why are people fighting over a clip lol

These clips are not Solar's DSL. He has a 5 gain stage mod I think. Mine is a four gain stage. Voicing is the same for the most part.

• Members

Hey Solar I liked the first clips you posted a couple weeks ago a lil more, these are not bad though and why are people fighting over a clip lol

Will there be any more clips in the future?
:confused:
I like this clip (sounds fine) but i REALL LIKED the other clips from a week or 2 ago!!

I know man. Clips only go so far in capturing the presence of the amp and really only give a 2D impression. The DSL sounded huge in person. To hear it and feel it took it up another notch. Mine has all new iron in it(OT&PT)and choke along with Jon's revoicing. There are differences between our amps like J-Mart stated just because of how the amps are built. No way to do the exact same thing.

I'm still getting a plexi though but the DSL rips with the revoicing.:love: You heard it.:lol:

Oh and I've heard alot more of J-Marts amp than just this clip posted here. Its gonna do the 80's stuff to a T! Jon plays all those hot rodded 80's tunes one after the other you know to show what the amp can do and cover. I will have one hehe. I don't need a JTM45 any more cause of the Monza I got. Just need a Plexi to finish me off.

• Members

Is The intent behind this clip was never and never will be "a take on the brown sound". That's easy to get out of a bone stock '67 12xxx series plexi (which is what Eddie used on that album despite the many claims that it was modded)...it's a natural for those things.

No. It is NOT easy to get that sound out of a bone stock '67 12xxx series plexi. Ed's is a '68 anyway and '67 was the 10xxx series and he was doing so much peripheral stuff to get that tone it isn't even funny...

Steve

Archived