Best rock amp under 1k?

grunge782

• Members

So I've looked around at some different amps for a while and I think I have narrowed it down a bit. Unfortunately I am unable to try any of the amps I have found to fit my needs :facepalm:. So a little bit of help and opinion on these amps would be great.

Laney VH100R

Traynor YCS50h

Krank Chadwick (Not sure if I should get I or II)

(Feel free to mention any others in my price range (looking for anything up to about 800ish). It does however need to sound decent at lower volumes.)

I'm looking for 2 things in my upcoming amp-

1. Good clean channel, not overly bright. It needs to have a fair amount of bass/warmness to it.

2. A JCM/JMP "like" drive channel except I will be equing it with a little more emphasis on the bottom end (Not 80's rock sound, more "raw" rock). I will be running some pedals into it as well most of the time.

Let me know what you think.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why not a used JCM800?

3 reasons.

1. Cleans

2. Volume. I can only comment from vids and what I have read but it seems to only be good when it is cranked.

3. I don't like buying really old stuff (over 15 years) because they usually need to be cleaned and generally are more likely to have problems or are beaten up.

They sound god damn amazing but I just can't practically use or own one.

• Members

Very warm and crunchy. Does 80's metal very well and is very versatile. Comes with a vintage 30 and sounds great with it.

-D

Sounds good. Would you describe it as more "hi fi" or raunchy? Or somewhere in between, there seems to be a lot of options on it.

• Members

DSL

+1

Hands-down the best amp under $1000. Was my first amp. And you are right they only sound awesome when cranked. So try to find a 50 watt version. That'll help a little.

Also consider the Laney AOR Pro-Tube 30. I know you said you are hesitant with older amps, but these things are a heck of a bargain. You can get one for under $400 easily.

• Members
+1

Hands-down the best amp under $1000. Was my first amp.
And you are right they only sound awesome when cranked
. So try to find a 50 watt version. That'll help a little.

Also consider the Laney AOR Pro-Tube 30. I know you said you are hesitant with older amps, but these things are a heck of a bargain. You can get one for under $400 easily.

Then I probably wouldn't want one :confused:

I'm not talking "bedroom" volumes for good "low" volumes but the old Marshalls you have to REALLY crank. Is the DSL that way too?

I heard the AOR had a pretty dead clean channel.

• Members

Well... Any amp sounds better cranked. But it doesn't have to be ridiculously loud. With the master around 2, mine sounded ok. Close to 3, it was really good. They're just the type of amp that distortion in the power section is better than the pre-amp section.

Dead... as in, lifeless-sounding? I once had an AOR50 with KT77's and the cleans were awesome. I am more of a high gain guy, so take that into consideration.

Hmm... I'll have to give that one more thought then.

• Members

So I've looked around at some different amps for a while and I think I have narrowed it down a bit. Unfortunately I am unable to try any of the amps I have found to fit my needs
:facepalm:
. So a little bit of help and opinion on these amps would be great.

Laney VH100R

Traynor YCS50h

Krank Chadwick (Not sure if I should get I or II)

(Feel free to mention any others in my price range (looking for anything up to about 800ish). It does however need to sound decent at lower volumes.)

I'm looking for 2 things in my upcoming amp-

1. Good clean channel, not overly bright. It needs to have a fair amount of bass/warmness to it.

2. A JCM/JMP "like" drive channel except I will be equing it with a little more emphasis on the bottom end (Not 80's rock sound, more "raw" rock). I will be running some pedals into it as well most of the time.

Let me know what you think.

I am assuming you mean a used amp, because you are not gonna get that Laney or the Krank for under 1K new. :cop:

Of your choices, I'd asy the Laney, but.......I think the DSL is really more of what you are looking for.

Archived