Best rock amp under 1k?

grunge782

• Members
The Chadwick is Kranks version of a rock amp. If you like the tone of a JCM800 you'll like this amp. It reminds me of a JCM800 but on steroids. It's 50 watts all tube and it's loud as hell. You can pick up a Chadwick for way less than $1k. I don't own a Chadwick, but I'm waiting to try out it's replacement the Nineteen80.
:thu:
:thu:

Have you actually played a Chadwick and if so which version? Also if you have played one how would you describe the feel of its drive channel?

I'm not looking for over the top gain, I'm really searching for just a "raw" rock sound.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks good, I'd just have to find one used. How would you describe its cleans and its gainz?

i just got mine used and it took awhile to find one but i did. as for the other post that said the distortion was grainy, i think that is probaly the stock tubes and speaker not being broken in. the tubes are sovteks which i find to be grainy in ever amp the come in. great amp in my opinion but as always probaly need to find one to play for yourself first. it suits my needs better than anything else i tried. i've been able to dial any just about any kind of clean u could need vox, fender, barely breaking up marshall. distrotion channel tends to lean towards marshall even with the tube on 6l6. well if a marshall had 6l6 tubes:idea:.

• Members

I really wanted to like the jcm 800 but in the end it just wasn't versitile enough. Fantastic tone cranked but didn't like the cleans at all, sterile and thin. Low volume to moderate gain was ok, Moderate to loud- Thats where it's at. I bought the Traynor YCS50h, for my tastes this is it. Cleans on US setting are great with lots of low end. Gain on this channel is really good also. Brit setting with the boost, modern, and scoop options gives it a really wide set of options from 80's rock to modern metal. The 50 watt/15 watt switch let's you have a great low volume or high volume sound. Anyway the versatility with great cleans and gains won me over.

• Members

I really wanted to like the jcm 800 but in the end it just wasn't versitile enough. Fantastic tone cranked but didn't like the cleans at all, sterile and thin. Low volume to moderate gain was ok, Moderate to loud- Thats where it's at. I bought the Traynor YCS50h, for my tastes this is it. Cleans on US setting are great with lots of low end. Gain on this channel is really good also. Brit setting with the boost, modern, and scoop options gives it a really wide set of options
from 80's rock to modern metal
. The 50 watt/15 watt switch let's you have a great low volume or high volume sound. Anyway the versatility with great cleans and gains won me over.

I'm really not looking for modern metal out of it.

So did you own a JCM800 then sell it and got a Traynor YCS? I'm specifically interested in the drive differences/similarities between the 2? Also a big part of it for me is the feel between the two so if you could describe that as well it would help.

• Members

I ran these through the same cabinet which is a 2/12 with a V30 and a gt12h. I tried the 800 for about 2 weeks, it belongs to a friend and is a really clean mid 80's model. Low to mids it just did not have the bottom end. The higher the volume the better. I'm used to Fender cleans and my Bassman RI is also pedal friendly for different gain settings. I really liked the YCS50H better because to me the 800 was to much of a 1 trick pony. Great 80's gain at mid to high volume. It's what you hear on so many recordings. At mid to low volume it thins out and is just difficult to rein in. Thin sterile cleans and you lose that great Jcm800 roar. It's very heavy on the mids and you really have to bring the bass up for cleans. It's like you hear from so many, it really needs aired out. The YCS50H does really great cleans with lots of low end. To me the gains are right into the Marshall territory and can go from 80's style gain right into pretty heavy high gain, though maybe just shy of 5150/6505 extreme gain. I have to say that the versatility and the ability to get so many really good sounds out of this amp high/low volume,great cleans, crunch to high gain really won me over.

Archived