Best rock amp under 1k?

grunge782

• Members
I am assuming you mean a used amp, because you are not gonna get that Laney or the Krank for under 1K new.
:cop:

Of your choices, I'd asy the Laney, but.......I think the DSL is really more of what you are looking for.

Yes used of course.

I will have to try out the DSL tomorrow then :thu:

So no love for the Krank huh? :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks good, I'd just have to find one used. How would you describe its cleans and its gainz?

i had the DSl and Renegade at one point. The DSL is a great amp! It's easy to get them used on the after market. My gripe with them is if you're a channel switcher like me. The slight delay in latency io switching clean and distortion can be a bit annoying. That's my reason for getting rid of it a few times. Though i really enjoy playing the amp. It's very easy to get good tones.

The Renegade is a very interesting animal. Love their build quality and constuction. Incorporating 6l6 and EL34 while giving the flexiblity for tube mixing sounds is brilliant along with direct recording xlr and bias adjustments in the back of the amp was just awesome! Very well thought out. Unfortunately their sound wasn't to my taste. The cleans was very nice but their gain was IMO somewhat grainy to my taste. Other than that, it's a solid amp that has better build quality than the Marshall and Laney.

• Members

i had the DSl and Renegade at one point. The DSL is a great amp! It's easy to get them used on the after market. My gripe with them is if you're a channel switcher like me. The slight delay in latency io switching clean and distortion can be a bit annoying. That's my reason for getting rid of it a few times. Though i really enjoy playing the amp. It's very easy to get good tones.

The Renegade is a very interesting animal. Love their build quality and constuction. Incorporating 6l6 and EL34 while giving the flexiblity for tube mixing sounds is brilliant along with direct recording xlr and bias adjustments in the back of the amp was just awesome! Very well thought out. Unfortunately their sound wasn't to my taste. The cleans was very nice but their gain was IMO somewhat grainy to my taste. Other than that, it's a solid amp that has better build quality than the Marshall and Laney.

Grainy? What do you mean because I found my Laney to be "grainy"?

• Members

I was planning on getting this amp originally. I tried out the gain channel and I could not get along with it.

6L6's and some tweaking on the GEQ goes a long way.Also they come from the factory biased really cold.I went from 100 to 160mA and it really came alive. I've had it for a over a year now.I run a OD boost to tighten things up a little but i've never been this satisfied with my tone.It splits the difference between the Legacy and the Stiletto's i've had.

• Members

Grainy? What do you mean because I found my Laney to be "grainy"?

When I had the AOR pro II. I thought it was kinda grainy, maybe I was expecting too much from that amp but as far as the other laney's i"ve owned like the LH50R, VC50 and TT50H. None we're grainy.

As for the Renegade being a grainy. When I kept switching between my VH100R and Renegade to test both clean and distorted tones. I just found the VH a bit more tighter and 3D than the Renegade especially playing full open chords. Of course this is just my opinion, others will have their input. I wanted to keep the Renegade as a backup and something different but when I took out to jam. I just didn't gel with it.

• Members

I'm looking for 2 things in my upcoming amp-

1. Good clean channel, not overly bright. It needs to have a fair amount of bass/warmness to it.

2. A JCM/JMP "like" drive channel except I will be equing it with a little more emphasis on the bottom end (Not 80's rock sound, more "raw" rock). I will be running some pedals into it as well most of the time.

Let me know what you think.

That pretty much describes a Laney VH-100. See if you can try one out...

• Members

+1 to the mesa F50/100 excellent amps

also don't rule out an alchemist.

I'll need to run through the f50 or 100 again then. How exactly would you describe its drive sound?

I did like the alchemist actually, but I honestly can't justify the price for something made in China. The drive seemed to "fuzzy" to me also.

• Members

you get a very clean tone if you like, and drive from overdrive to distortion to full-blown fuzz, your choice... with two separate channels... check out some videos...

but let's say that they do from very clean shimy tone to very very very heavy Electric Wizard, Sleep, Giant Squid, Neurosis, Om kinda tones, you know? and everything in between, with a very simple EQ... i'm gonna get one myself.

... plus, they are loud as i doubt you'll ever need more or even as much, bulletproof... and they're Orange.

• Members

:poke:

I'm planning on trying out a DSL this weekend. I haven't heard great things about the VM to be honest.

That is because they don't know how to tweak the VM. It's different than any other amp I have ever used. If it is good enough for Slash, Paul Gilbert, Robin Trower, and many other pros than it is good enough for me.:thu:

Edit: It is NOT a two channel amp. That is another mistake people make.

• Members
Bump, really would like to hear somebodies opinion on the Krank Chadwick too.

The Chadwick is Kranks version of a rock amp. If you like the tone of a JCM800 you'll like this amp. It reminds me of a JCM800 but on steroids. It's 50 watts all tube and it's loud as hell. You can pick up a Chadwick for way less than $1k. I don't own a Chadwick, but I'm waiting to try out it's replacement the Nineteen80.:thu::thu:

Archived