Since when is scooping mids = Noobish?

mike moriarty

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dialing your tone based on what sounds good in your bedroom is noobish.

Dialing your tone based on some trendy ideology is noobish.

Fitting into a band mix and dialing your amp with your ears instead of your eyes is not.

this, seriously

• Members

I like the awesome crunch from a scoop with a narrow bandwidth. That way you get crunchy greatness but you don't end up thinning out your tone. Tones where all the mids are just eliminated generally sound like {censored}, but of course, a lot of it has to do with the bass guitar too. A tone that might sound undefined by itself may shine with a great drum and bass compliment.

• Members
I do find it funny, Mike, that you seem to loathe KsE yet your location is a phrase I've heard Adam use quite a few times live. Coincidence?

Do like a true elitist metalhead and tell me what I SHOULD be listening to, eh?
;)

Well we are from the same neck of the woods :thu: Ive listened to metal so extensively that it is hard for me to listen to anything that sounds like something else thse days. Originality is the most important thing to me right now. I find myself listening to music that cannot be replicated, even with maximum effort. See avatar and sig :thu:

• Members

I set the mids on my amp to zero, and then in the loop I throw in a 10-band with a real sick V shape. Then, I set my presence and resonance to max to get a V shaped EQ out of the power section. Finally, I get the sound guy to completely zero the mids on my cab's mic and EQ the bass and cymbals out of the way to make room for my Crushing palm mutes!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

:facepalm:

• Members
I don't really scoop my mids but I keep them a little below noon.

Too much mids sounds like {censored}.

Same here, lately. That said though, some amps sound good no matter how high the mids are.

Like a Quick Rod. :love:

Nevertheless I have the mids at 11 o clock lately.

• Members

Dont get me wrong Im not saying everyone who plays metal should have their mids set to 0. I play my DSL with the mid scoop OFF and middle around 11 o clock. Just saying this boosted mid trend is really {censored}ing corny. Metal is supposed to be aggressive sounding, not clear and pretty.

• Members

I'll go with that. Peter Steele is the man. Nothing more metal than a Metal band frontman who poses for Playgirl. I have the "Life Is Killing Me" album, AMOF. :rawk:

I don't seem to remember many other bands sounding anything like KsE when they first came out though. I'll fully admit they have a definite formula these days with the screaming verses/sang chorus but I still dig the middy high gain. I always have because I grew up on Ozzy. All of Ozzy's guitarists were mid heavy. It's just my preference.

Also.. what's wrong with chugging? That's a cornerstone technique of metal.

Too much midrange sounds like ass, and completely muddies the tone. I keep m mids on both my 5150 and my Triamp at around 1 O'clock.

• Members
I'll go with that. Peter Steele is the man. Nothing more metal than a Metal band frontman who poses for Playgirl. I have the "Life Is Killing Me" album, AMOF.
:rawk:

I don't seem to remember many other bands sounding anything like KsE when they first came out though. I'll fully admit they have a definite formula these days with the screaming verses/sang chorus but I still dig the middy high gain. I always have because I grew up on Ozzy. All of Ozzy's guitarists were mid heavy. It's just my preference.

Also.. what's wrong with chugging? That's a cornerstone technique of metal.

Too much midrange sounds like ass, and completely muddies the tone. I keep m mids on both my 5150 and my Triamp at around 1 O'clock.

All Killswitch did was take the most mainstream parts of Pantera, Fear Factory, and Machinehead songs and make whole albums out of them. There is nothing wrong with slow, heavy parts, but there is something wrong with turning rap beats into guitar riffs to please the mainstream audience. Its just generic with no depth or originality whatsoever.

• Members
Yes, because only non-band-having n00bs cranking their Uberschalls in their bedrooms in front of no one count!
:o

This is pretty much what I was thinking. :lol:

But I didn't want to anger his delicate sensibilities, as I am within driving distance of him. :wave:

• 5 months later...
  • Members

i kind of wan't to be heard when playing in a live situation..if you're talking about bedroom, recording tones, that's diffferent. but then again, for metal, i agree it needs to sound agressive, and you can push the mids off a little, but too much sounds like {censored}, imo, and a lot of people overdo.

• Members

It's amazing to me how many people are so clueless as to not differentiate between any of the different frequencies of the mid range, they just ignorantly lump them all in together like there's just one frequency. :facepalm: It's an entire range of frequencies, people! Starts at about 200 hZ and goes up to about 2500hZ.

Noobs "scoop" their mids, by which I mean that they are too stupid to differentiate between the lower midrange, upper midrange, or anything in between. The haphazardly try to eliminate any midrange in their sound, and it might work in their bedroom playing by themselves, but anyone who has a clue knows that in a full band situation, the absence of all mids means you will get lost in them mix, regardless of how "loud" you are playing.

Anyone who's balls have actually dropped will dip out certain mid frequencies, while simultaneously booting others, because after all, the guitar is a mid range instrument in terms of it's voicing. So, taking the Mesa 5 band EQ as an example, most people will push the 2nd and 4th sliders above the line, while pushing the 3rd slider below the line. This isn't "scooping" your mids, as you're boosting two midrange frequencies and cutting another.

The other thing about dipping out midrange frequencies that's lost on the clueless noobs is the fact that it only sounds good if you do it with an amp that was mid heavy to begin with, like the Mesa Mark Series. If you take an amp that's already relatively scooped and then try to dip out even more of the mids, you're gonna sound like crap when you're playing with other people. Again, it might sound fine by yourself, but once you have to worry about finding your space in a mix you'll realize that your sound will be completely hollow with no real balls to speak of.

Here endeth the lesson......:thu:

• Members
I don't really scoop my mids but I keep them a little below noon.

Too much mids sounds like {censored}.

This. 110% :thu:

Also, scooping sometimes works well wen you pick a specific mid frequency, and cut it like -8 - -10db on a very narrow band. But thats closing to notching, than scooping I suppose.

Archived