Some guys saying new Blackstar amps are hybrids, not all tube

axuality

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's along the same lines as the JCM900. The HT series has op amps in the preamp.

Big deal. There are still solid state components of one kind or another in 95% or more of all tube amps out there anyway, so who cares. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Why should you care anyway? I thought you have a MG
:D

I just bought a JCM800 combo in my avatar there, and I want another tube amp for recording. For live performance, I'm pretty much limited to SS at this point.

• Members

If you gathered anything from this thread it should be:

Doesn't matter if its tubes, ss, or twinkies that are
making
the sound. All that matters is if it sounds good.

Well, while it's true that there are guitarists who actually don't know that, it just so happens that the OP does know that. :)

And the question was asked in the knowledge that it's what sounds good that matters.

But I got the answer: the problem is that the definition of the word 'hybrid' is not understood the same way by all guitarists here.

• Members

Well, while it's true that there are guitarists who actually don't know that, it just so happens that the OP does know that.
:)

And the question was asked in the knowledge that it's what sounds good that matters.

But I got the answer: the problem is that the definition of the word 'hybrid' is not understood the same way by all guitarists here.

People having different personal definitions of things is probably the biggest reason people disagree on here (and in general really).

• Members

Well, while it's true that there are guitarists who actually don't know that, it just so happens that the OP does know that.
:)

you're right, it's not understood the same.

Or perhaps we are just picking and choosing when to care.

Like me, I don't really care if an amp has SS rectifier, or reverb, effects loop, etc. etc. I'd say it's a hybrid if either the preamp or power section is fully solid state, but technically most amps really would qualify as hybrid.

• Members

making

What do you know..you're a SS n00b:poke:

Tubes are the only way to bring teh toanz:bor:

Honestly if it sounds good who gives a {censored}?

• Members

Don't know about these new amps, but the much loved HT5 has a bunch of solid state goodie-goodie in the signal chain that makes a big impact on the sound.

Stop living in your fantasy world where tubes are somehow *better* then the rest of technology in the universe. If it sounds good, it is good, simple as that!

• Members

making

I want Twinkies in the pre and Nutty Bars in the power section. Also, a two-liter of Mountain Dew for a rectifier.

If it sounds good, it is good. Period.

• Members

making

I don't care if it sounds good, I just want hybrid amp with autotune so I can play T-pain on mah gee-tah.

• Members

That's what I thought too but according to some of these guys, having a tube pre section and a tube power section doesn't automatically make the amp a non-hybrid
:idk:

I guess it's where people individually draw the line. Some simply stick one or two tubes into the preamp and say the preamp is now a tube preamp even though there are only four tube gain stages versus about 20 SS + solid-state diode clipping. Kinda like in the Marshall JMP-1 or ADA MP-1. Both are still commonly referred to as "tube preamps". :lol:

You see where this quickly leads to: Who is it that defines when something hybrid begins to qualify as "tube"?

Personally I stopped caring too much a long time ago. Now I just laugh when people hype things like true tube pedals and their authentic tube tone - when the schematic actually reveals all those tubes are actually used as transparent buffers without any gain or distortion and all the distortion is actually generated by solid-state components. :lol:

Also, I found it quite ironic that few days ago someone referred to those all-tube Blackstar Series One amps as "digital sounding".

You really shouldn't care too much of what something is made of.

Archived