Some guys saying new Blackstar amps are hybrids, not all tube

axuality

• Members

Where in the world are you getting such information?

They have two new lines- The Series One and the HT Venue Series. I can find no info on either Blackstar's or Musician's Friend website that would give any hint or indication at all that either of the new lines is any kind of hybrid, or anything but purely tube.

The Series One has a built in attenuator, but this certainly wouldn't make it a 'hybrid' amp, right?

What are these guys talking about?

I'm thinking of buying a Venue and I want the right scoop. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where in the world are you getting such information?

They have two new lines- The Series One and the HT Venue Series. I can find no info on either Blackstar's or Musician's Friend website that would give any hint or indication at all that either of the new lines is any kind of hybrid, or anything but purely tube.

The Series One has a built in attenuator, but this certainly wouldn't make it a 'hybrid' amp, right?

What are these guys talking about?

I'm thinking of buying a Venue and I want the right scoop.
;)

It's along the same lines as the JCM900. The HT series has op amps in the preamp.

Big deal. There are still solid state components of one kind or another in 95% or more of all tube amps out there anyway, so who cares. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Why should you care anyway? I thought you have a MG :D

• Members

What's the big deal? For an amp to be "all tube," it would need to have NO solid state components. That means:

Tubes used to produce the pre-amplificationj,

Tubes for whatever on-board effects such as tremolo or reverb,

Tube rectifier,

Tube phase inverter, and

Power amp tubes.

I keep running into "tube amps" that "violate" one or more of thise "rules:

Hybrids with a 12AX7 in pre-amp that adds some tube "warmth," to varying degrees of effectiveness;

Hybrids with power tubes only (Peavey VT series comes readily to mind;)

Hybrids with a 12AX7 doing something other than pre-amping, like the Fender Champ 25SE or Super Champ XD, in which the tube is the phase inverter;

Even "all tube" amps with a "hidden" solid-state rectifier. Peavey Classics do this, other do, I am sure, and they sound fine.

And, you can "hybridize" just about any amp by replacing, say, the rectifier TUBE with a SS rectifier. I did it to my vintage Deluxe Reverb, and could hear no difference- only reason I went back with a tube was reports (unconfirmed, but I didn't want to take the chance) that the SS rect. could burn out transformers.

'Tis true, "how it sounds" is more important than "what it has." The only problem with that is our ears get "educated" with exposure to a "tone generator" (for this discussion, something that we want to produce a certain hard-to-define tonal quality, such as a guitar amplifier,) and what initially sounds wonderful, seems to degrade over time. IMO, that is why tubes are often preferred- because it takes far longer to get to that "jaundiced" point- perhaps forever.

So, listen with your (educated) ears, not your brain, or your eyes.

BTW, Would you call someone who flies by the seat of his pants a "rectum flyer?"

• Members

An important question to ask is what component does the clipping (distortion). Tube and op amp clipping can sound very different in the right circumstance.

Not everyone notices the difference or cares. In which case you can save a lot of money and just go get any cheap SS amp.

Now, DSP software clipping (different from op amp / solid state clipping) (line 6 , valvetronix,etc), I think is probably indistinguishable from tubes. But there are other artifacts to deal with like A/D converters, latency, sampling frequency and dynamic range.

It kills me when friends drop $$$ on these nice custom tube amps, then stick a DS1 in front of them. But to each his own.

So op amps don't bother me if they are not clipping.

• Members

An important question to ask is what component does the clipping (distortion). Tube and op amp clipping can sound very different in the right circumstance.

Not everyone notices the difference or cares. In which case you can save a lot of money and just go get any cheap SS amp.

Now, DSP software clipping (different from op amp / solid state clipping) (line 6 , valvetronix,etc), I think is probably indistinguishable from tubes. But there are other artifacts to deal with like A/D converters, latency, sampling frequency and dynamic range.

It kills me when friends drop $$$ on these nice custom tube amps, then stick a DS1 in front of them. But to each his own.

So op amps don't bother me if they are not clipping.

Yeah but you can turn the DS-1 off, you can't turn the DSP off.

Archived