VHT Deliverance settings...

NinjaRaf

• Members

I'd say it could be your speakers. My Deliverance hated my G-flex 2x12 which had some kind of special eminence speakers in it.

I also don't understand why your Deliverance doesn't sound tight. Mine definitely is.

As for settings I have been running mine differently lately an it sounds a lot thicker.

Gain I: almost all the way up

Gain II: to taste (around noon to 1 o'clock)

I usually use less mode, but you could try more.

treble: 10 o'clock

mid: 1 o'clock

bass: 1 o'clock

pres: 10 o'clock

resonance: 2 o'clock

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy a CLX or a UL.. Check out my video I posted a little way down. No post processing or any {censored}.. Just shot with a web cam.

My brother has a UL and I have a Deliverance. They really aren't different sounding in my opinion. We can get either to sound about 90% the same as the other.

• Members

I'd say it could be your speakers. My Deliverance hated my G-flex 2x12 which had some kind of special eminence speakers in it.

I also don't understand why your Deliverance doesn't sound tight. Mine definitely is.

As for settings I have been running mine differently lately an it sounds a lot thicker.

Gain I: almost all the way up

Gain II: to taste (around noon to 1 o'clock)

I usually use less mode, but you could try more.

treble: 10 o'clock

mid: 1 o'clock

bass: 1 o'clock

pres: 10 o'clock

resonance: 2 o'clock

I dont really know why its not tight sounding either...definitely not what I was expecting...Could be the cab, I guess, but this cab has sounded incredible with anything else I have tried it with...

• Members

The best example I know of is the 3rd Unearth album where they used them, and that album sounds like horrible {censored}, IMO
:thu:

I'm not the hugest Unearth fan, but I like this tone the best of the albums of theirs I've heard.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

FWIW, I read they didn't use a click on this album and tried to go for as much of a live feel as possible. I think the production was intentionally supossed to be a little rawer. That's probably why I like it so much.

• Members

FWIW, I read they didn't use a click on this album and tried to go for as much of a live feel as possible. I think the production was intentionally supossed to be a little rawer. That's probably why I like it so much.

Yeah, that is the VHT album. I hate the guitar tone on that CD. Their 5150 album sounds WAYYY better to me...

• Members

Raf, you need to post clips if you haven't already. I'm really interested to hear how yours sounds because the D120 I played, even at low volumes, sounded great, and my tone resides in the 5150 as yours does. It wasn't flubby at all. Very tight, very dry, but high gain. It's just perceived different since it's not a heavily saturated amp. Didn't really sound marshally at all too me. It was kinda "boxy" in the mid department but the thing roared. I played it through the matching deliverance cab, with a MM JP6 guitar. Loved that fiddle :love:

• Members

Raf, you need to post clips if you haven't already. I'm really interested to hear how yours sounds because the D120 I played, even at low volumes, sounded great, and my tone resides in the 5150 as yours does. It wasn't flubby at all. Very tight, very dry, but high gain. It's just perceived different since it's not a heavily saturated amp. Didn't really sound marshally at all too me. It was kinda "boxy" in the mid department but the thing roared. I played it through the matching deliverance cab, with a MM JP6 guitar. Loved that fiddle
:love:

Just posted a couple vids...

• Members

Yeah, that is the VHT album. I hate the guitar tone on that CD. Their 5150 album sounds WAYYY better to me...

The didn't use the Deliverance on that album. They actually used Page Hamilton from Helmet's UL and a 5150 with a Marshall for leads.

Let's talk gear, what did you use for the record?

I used Ibanez 7-string guitars, particularly a custom S7 that they made me and a
VHT Pittbull that actually belonged to Page Hamilton from Helmet. He let me borrow it for the recording. We used that on the record and backed up some of the tracks with a 5150 and a Marshall for all the leads. The record really slams as I love the tones on the record as far as guitars are concerned.
And I have to mention Dean Markley strings too as they were really great to us as they gave us lots of Blue Steel strings during the recording sessions.

When it came to the guitar tones, what were you trying to achieve?

A
s I Lay Dying and bands like those have guitar tones that are super squishy, it's very heavy but at the same time also very squishy sounding and that has a lot to do with the Kranks and 5150s and I didn't really want that kind of guitar tone. I wanted a much raw, sharp razor blade kind of tone, beefy but sharp, kind of like a cut your throat guitar tone. So the Marshall and the VHT were both the perfect amps for achieving that tone.

Ken Susi: The Oncoming Storm we did with Adam [Dutkiewicz] and it was a great record to do. And that record was the first time where we had a big budget so we did everything very large. We worked with click tracks and we didn't record it at the same time where we were all playing together. But the record sounds awesome. But after we did that record we noticed that every metal band was doing the whole click track thing and producing their music to the point where it doesn't even feel like it's human anymore. It feels like a machine playing your {censored}ing music and it feels very unreal. With the new record, we wanted to be the first band in our scene and genre to go backwards and make a real record with real music and real sounds, all that organic stuff. And with no click tracks and no over produced crying and singing stuff. We left those elements out as we wanted to be the heaviest band we could ever be and let people recognize how good we are as musicians as well. And this time, we did this record all together and it's the first time we've ever really done that. And that's great.

• Members

Sorry to hear you aren't diggin it man, that blows. That vid didn't sound that bad to me though, lol!

I'm surprised to hear you don't feel it's tight, I mean like clinically tight. I would have expected that too, just from the descriptions. For the hell of it, do you have a spare pre tube that you know is good? If you do, try swapping it into the different positions one at a time. Start with V1, and work your way down to see if the sound changes.

my Herbert came with a bad pre in V1, new, and it sounded like {censored}. Replaced that tube, and it turned into a different amp. Might not be the case with yours, but it's worth a shot, I've seen a lot of brand new bad tubes in the last few years.

• Members

The didn't use the Deliverance on that album. They actually used Page Hamilton from Helmet's UL and a 5150 with a Marshall for leads.

Ive always read they used the Deliverance... But, still a UL is still a VHT.

Oh well, it still sounds like crap :thu:

• Members

Ive always read they used the Deliverance... But, still a UL is still a VHT.

Oh well, it still sounds like crap
:thu:

Again, I think it's the best tone they've gotten, but I not a fan of sterile, oversaturated, overproduced tones.

I like the rawer more open, organic tone they were going for.

• Members

I prefer the VHT album. The tone on that album isn't as dark and squishy as The Oncoming Storm or The March, which is good IMO.:cop:

OP, try it on a different cab.

• Members

Again, I think it's the best tone they've gotten, but I not a fan of sterile, oversaturated, overproduced tones.

I like the rawer more open, organic tone they were going for.

I think what bugs me is it sounds so little. There is just no hugeness to the sound. That low B sounds neutered compared to their previous album. Yeah, it sounds more cutting and thrashy, but I like a huge low end. Palm mutes should hit you in the chest, but instead that tone makes it sound like they played through a 1x10 combo.

• Members

I've played on a Cobra with tonez that I thought were awesome. My homeys preferred the Deliverance 120 actually, but it's lack of saturation bugged me. Of course if I wouldn't have had to lose an amp to get it, I would've and gotten a boost for the saturation.

• Members

And the OS is 5150 and Cobra so i hear. I just don't care for how dark, pick scrapey and smooshey the bottom gets, in particular on TOS.

TOS is mostly 5150. Yeah, its as little squishy, but the low end is heavy. You feel that {censored} when you crank a stereo :)

I even like the sound on TSOC, which just sounds like a scooped JCM800. Its tighter, but still has that chunk to it.

• Members

I think what bugs me is it sounds so little. There is just no hugeness to the sound. That low B sounds neutered compared to their previous album. Yeah, it sounds more cutting and thrashy, but I like a huge low end. Palm mutes should hit you in the chest, but instead that tone makes it sound like they played through a 1x10 combo.

To each his own, but did you read the excerpt from the article I posted? Blaming the tone on III on the amps used doesn't make sense. That tone is more a product of what they were trying to achieve, which was a guitar tone that wasn't overproduced.

• Members

To each his own, but did you read the excerpt from the article I posted? Blaming the tone on III on the amps used doesn't make sense. That tone is more a product of what they were trying to achieve, which was a guitar tone that wasn't overproduced.

Well, the thread got off on a tangent :lol: I just mentioned that album because it has a similar sound that Ive heard in numerous clips, Youtube Vids, etc... What I hear in that album is just a recognizable way to summarize that.

There is just something in the lows that drive me crazy in clips of those amps. Its like the frequency is set way too high or something, so they have no balls.

• Members

bummer you don't like it man. I love mine!

I'm using an RG Prestige with dimarzio Breed in the bridge and an air norton in the neck.

the d60's settings are:

gain 1-2 12:00 - 2:00

treb 10-12:00

mid 10-12:00

bass 12-1:00

presence 12-dimed (depending on my volume really and the band mix)

depth: 12:00

I'm also running through a mesa oversized cab with v30's.

Sounds amazing, like a big fat raw pile of meat!

I will vouch for the volume. The more I push, the better it sounds.

Archived