VHT Deliverance settings...

NinjaRaf

• Members

...but short of getting a VHT cab, I think the low end is gonna have the same weirdness to it, and thats really whats killing the amp for me.

Despite being "NOS," I don't think the bottom end wierdness has anything to do with your cab or guitar. Based upon your description I think something is up in the amp. It could be tubes (pre or power), who knows, but what you're describing doesn't sound like the cab. I've played my D60 through a number of cabs and while it doesn't have the same percussiveness and tone as through the D412, it still sounds great and has a nice bottom end.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's how I am. If I don't 85% like an amp out of the box with nothing fancy, it is gone.

I think to an extent, a decent guitar and cab should sound good with a decent amp. The VHT is a good amp, but theres just whatever it is in the low end that is keeping me from really like...Even with Painkillers, which are the tightest pickups Ive ever heard, and my M12 speakers, which are very tight speakers...I still get something in there that I dont like. I may swap out the preamp tubes tonight and see, but I think the power tubes are gonna have more of an affect, and I cant be buying power tubes for this thing right now....

If any one has any spares they could send me, I would try them out and ship them back to you after, and pay reimburse you for shipping as well.

• Members

Despite being "NOS," I don't think the bottom end wierdness has anything to do with your cab or guitar. Based upon your description I think something is up in the amp. It could be tubes (pre or power), who knows, but what you're describing doesn't sound like the cab. I've played my D60 through a number of cabs and while it doesn't have the same percussiveness and tone as through the D412, it still sounds great and has a nice bottom end.

Have you had a chance to check out the videos I posted? What do you think of how they sound? Thats pretty close to how the amp sounds in the room....and it may not be 100% what I am hearing...I think part of it might be how the amp feels...

• Members

Have you had a chance to check out the videos I posted? What do you think of how they sound? Thats pretty close to how the amp sounds in the room....and it may not be 100% what I am hearing...I think part of it might be how the amp feels...

I haven't because I don't have anything but laptop speakers to listen on right now. I'll check it out later today. Where's the thread with the vids?

• Members

I tend to agree, but the M12 speakers seriously sound good with any amp Ive had. I had them in my avatar cab, and they sounded great with 4 or 5 amps through that cab...which is one of the reasons I chose them for my buzzbomb. I mean, I definitely know what you are saying...but short of getting a VHT cab, I think the low end is gonna have the same weirdness to it, and thats really whats killing the amp for me. Im also kind of feeling like, if I am happy with my rig as it is with the 6505, then why change guitars, pup, speakers, cabs, etc. to fit a different amp...Especially one that SEEMS to have a characteristic in its low end that I dont like.

And as I said before, it totally could be that I need to try out some different tubes, but I dont think they will make a big enough difference, and I really dont have the money for it...

idk...I guess im just feeling like its not worth it to try all these different things for something that may not work out anyway, and when I have a rig that I am 90-95% happy with...and when I have spent so much time, money and effort getting what I want out of my guitars and cab....idk.

I think I might try out a 6505 head and see how it stacks up against the combo...

What could it hurt to just take it to a store and experiment?

• Members

Heres the thread.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2593827

If you get the time, it would be greatly appreciated.

A couple people posted saying that it sounds like a VHT (maybe it was only 1 person lol)...so Im really not sure what to think now. Every clip I have heard of this amp has been stellar, and then I get one, and its not what I was expecting at all...idk...

• Members

Sorry to hear you aren't diggin it man, that blows. That vid didn't sound that bad to me though, lol!

I'm surprised to hear you don't feel it's tight, I mean like clinically tight. I would have expected that too, just from the descriptions. For the hell of it, do you have a spare pre tube that you know is good? If you do, try swapping it into the different positions one at a time. Start with V1, and work your way down to see if the sound changes.

my Herbert came with a bad pre in V1, new, and it sounded like {censored}. Replaced that tube, and it turned into a different amp. Might not be the case with yours, but it's worth a shot, I've seen a lot of brand new bad tubes in the last few years.

Dunno how I missed your post. Yeah, I really expected it to be ridiculously tight, and I didnt find that to be the case. Ill take it out of the box and try swapping some pres around tonight, and see what happens. What was the herbert sounding like when you got it and how did that change when you swapped the tube?

• Members

I know with my CLX its very picky with cabs. I originally had a 1960 lead cab with G12T75s and it sounded like {censored}.. threw a FB on and its the most amazing sounding amp Ive ever heard.

Thats a concern too...maybe it NEEDS a VHT cab to sound good...idk. But if its not gonna sound good with a 1960, then I may be out of luck taking it to GC to try out cabs...

• Members

Thats a concern too...maybe it NEEDS a VHT cab to sound good...idk. But if its not gonna sound good with a 1960, then I may be out of luck taking it to GC to try out cabs...

Well I exaggerated a little.. it didnt sound like {censored}.. but maybe in comparison with the FB it did. At least that was my experience. If you have the time you should check some out though. They are really great sounding amps. Something is going on there.

• Members

Well I exaggerated a little.. it didnt sound like {censored}.. but maybe in comparison with the FB it did. At least that was my experience. If you have the time you should check some out though. They are really great sounding amps. Something is going on there.

yeah, I just dont have the MONEY to check out a VHT cab...I guess I could try to trade my buzzbomb for one, but idk...

• Members

The one I owned was ok. Wasn't saturated enough for me.

I guess this COULD be the issue, but it seems to get enough saturation....with no room to spare lol. How did you feel about the tightness of the amp? Have you had a chance to check out the videos?

• Members

I guess this COULD be the issue, but it seems to get enough saturation....with no room to spare lol. How did you feel about the tightness of the amp? Have you had a chance to check out the videos?

I put gold lion kt88's in mine, a nos rft in V1 and boosted and still didnt really like it after awhile. It was definatly tight enough, havent watch the vids yet man, outta town posting from a hotel computer, no speakers. :cry: Oh and I hated the fact that it had no effects loop, since im big on recording direct.

• Members

I know you're out of money and all. But isn't there a possibility that you can take the amp to a local forumite with lots of gear and tubes or a store or a tech or whatever. Check if you can get a tone you really like, then you know if the amp is not for you or the rest of your gear doesn't work well with the amp. But then you atleast know what's up and you can decide to keep the amp for when you have money for gear that suits the amp better? Just thinking here, I feel bad for ya dude...

• Members

I know you're out of money and all. But isn't there a possibility that you can take the amp to a local forumite with lots of gear and tubes or a store or a tech or whatever. Check if you can get a tone you really like, then you know if the amp is not for you or the rest of your gear doesn't work well with the amp. But then you atleast know what's up and you can decide to keep the amp for when you have money for gear that suits the amp better? Just thinking here, I feel bad for ya dude...

idk if any one in FL has a bunch of gear, but I am gonna at least check the bias and swap out some pre tubes, and I might be able to get some power tubes to borrow and try those out, and Ill see about taking it in to a store this weekend to check out some different cabs...

• Members

To see if saturation is the issue throw a boost on it. Then report back.

I dont have a boost currently available...and Im 99% sure saturation is not the issue...it sounds saturated enough to me...But I couldnt do with any less saturation.

• Members

I think it sounds balls with my Madison cabs. They have V30's and 12/75's in a cross pattern. Also, my settings are actually this:

Gain 1 & 2: 2:00

Switch: More

Treble: 0

Mid: 1:00

Bass: 2:30

Presence: 11:00

Depth: 1:00

Master: 9:00

Archived