A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Members

I know exactly what you're saying, 'old git-brit down-under.' Thanks for that concise thought about Madeleine Peyroux, and her ability to reach the listener's heart. There's just something about her voice . . . as you put it so well, you can feel "the humble beginnings of the Paris street musician in her." Stay tuned please, for a couple of videos (below). (I'm interested to know which one is more affective/effective emotionally, on my favorite Gibson ES-335 player in Australia.)

As for you, Lee Charles Kelley . . . I meant to compliment you a week ago, on the previous

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Norah does it for me. She has a big advantage being of the female gender - I like girls.
Also the minimal 3 instruments backing her voice provides greater intimacy than the larger and slightly schmaltzy orchestration popular in earlier decades.
Girls and intimacy and good music seems to work well together for we boys.

• Members

It's ill-becoming for an old broad to sing about how bad she wants it. But occasionally we do.

-- Lena Horne

Once or twice a day satellite radio plays a Lena Horne song. As I type this they're playing her gorgeous, late-in-life version of Autumn in New York. (Not uploaded to Youtube; most of her best work still isn't.)

When she left us two years ago just shy of her 93rd birthday I was reminded that Lena Horne was born the same year as my father (1917). He loved Lena's appearance, as well as her way with a song. I know they also shared a life-long love for one particular Gershwin tune, EMBRACEABLE YOU.

It was Lena's pick for her contribution to Sinatra's second

• Members

The story goes that Ira Gershwin disappeared a few days close to the opening of the show that included "Embraceable You." He was stuck on a couple of lines and needed some time alone.

George and family looked for him in all the Russian baths, to no avail.

Finally, he re-appeared. He'd been holed up in a hotel room.

The lines he came up with that were so important?

"Don't be a naughty baby.
Come to papa, come to papa, do...."

LCK

• Members

Surely the funniest-ever rendition of BABY, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE -- composed (words & music) by one of my heroes, Frank Loesser -- his only "Best Original Song" Academy Award winner (for the long-forgotten 1949 film, "Neptune's Daughter"). Loesser would have loved it. Thanks for the reminder, Lee of my favorite scene in ELF.

Now for my auspicious posting No. 1000 . . .

Near the end of his life

• Members

I'm a little late to the "Summer Wind" discussion, but it is a favorite of mine as well. I have five versions on my iPod, although I am partial to Frank's. When that was released I was a young kid in Western New York state who used to make a few bucks on Saturdays and Sundays by lugging well-to-do old guys golf clubs around the local country club course,. In retrospect, they probably weren't that old, but to a teenager, they were certainly near the end of useful existence. But, I digress. Singing that song repeatedly in my head helped me overlook the fact that I was schlepping two 35 pound bags of metal and wood up and down hills and through the woods for four and half hours for about 12 bucks. Til this day it is still my favorite 'escape' song. Here's an instrumental version:

• Members

I'm a little late to the "Summer Wind" discussion, but it is a favorite of mine as well. I have five versions on my iPod, although I am partial to Frank's. When that was released I was a young kid in Western New York state who used to make a few bucks on Saturdays and Sundays by lugging well-to-do old guys golf clubs around the local country club course,. In retrospect, they probably weren't that old, but to a teenager, they were certainly near the end of useful existence. But, I digress. Singing that song repeatedly in my head helped me overlook the fact that I was schlepping two 35 pound bags of metal and wood up and down hills and through the woods for four and half hours for about 12 bucks. Til this day it is still my favorite 'escape' song. Here's an instrumental version by the Ray Brown Trio:

• Members

Thanks for the memories, Saturn1 -- you paint a vivid anecdote from your youth!

Hard to believe it's been fully ten years since Ray Brown left us. He was, for much of his career, piano giant Oscar Peterson's bass player and thus part of what TIME magazine termed "the best-ever jazz trio." Ray Brown continues to be deferred-to as

• Members

Mark - My first introduction to this song was the Nino Tempo & April Stevens version on the radio in 1963. I always loved the distinct melody and harmonies.
Also when I started playing guitar the following year, I was enchanted by the chord structures that opened totally new avenues to me.

In more recent years I have listened to Dinah Shore and other versions which all have their own atmosphere.

If you like the song, perhaps you might give us one of your well researched synopses with favourite artists. I would like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW0DGB7QEoM

• Members

Thanks so very much, Old-git-brit-in-Oz for the reminder about DEEP PURPLE -- a song that I've never heard played on radio since that 1963 hit version was a No. 1 chart record. It was just before The Beatles' made their historic debut on the Ed Sullivan show. I was 16 and remember thinking April Stevens was quite the most beautiful singer, when she and the improbably-named Nino Tempo made their appearance on the Sullivan show.

Growing up as YOU did in England, did you ever get to watch re-broadcasts of any Ed Sullivan shows, I wonder? No, why would you? Thus we may be sure that you were also denied the joys of "The Dinah Shore Show" -- a top rated, weekly network program -- back when sponsors had more clout. Especially when it was GM and their best-selling car (then and now) was paying the bills: "See the USA in your Chev-ro-let" Dinah used to sing at the opening of each show. How we loved her. Still do! Thanks for posting the nicest version I've ever heard of DEEP PURPLE.

Three months before you joined us, July 9, 2011 (remember?) I celebrated this one -- in an "I-remember-my-father" sort of way. It took a while to find it -- a thousand posts ago (literally) but here it is, and hope you enjoy!

----

On the drive in to work today satellite radio played ON A LITTLE STREET IN SINGAPORE -- by the only group I've ever heard sing the song, "Manhattan Transfer." It's not much of a song with a forgettable lyric. But its strong, unusual melody by "Pete DeRose" got me thinking about that almost forgotten composer's 'greatest hit' song . . . one that 'doesn't get around much anymore.'

My late father, George Blackburn of Ottawa Canada, a good pianist/composer, once told me a story about DEEP PURPLE. Not the late 60s rock group -- the popular song that was a huge hit in 1939. Dad recalled

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
April Stevens was quite the most beautiful singer, when she and the improbably-named Nino Tempo made their appearance on the Sullivan show.
They were a brother and sister act, real names Carol and Antonino LoTempio.

LCK

• Members

The song, "Lover" was a waltz composed exactly 80 years ago this summer by my favorite composer Dick Rodgers (words by Larry Hart). 20 summers later in 1952, my all-time favorite female singer Peggy Lee had the biggest hit recording, four years after Les Paul had given it fame as a fast-tempo (high speed recording) guitar instrumental. But Peggy's 'definitive' recording almost didn't happen. (see "comment" below). Today the song has a brief biographical note:

From Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia

"Lover" is a popular song written by Richard Rodgers, with words by Lorenz Hart. It was featured in the movie Love Me Tonight (1932). Les Paul's version was a guitar instrumental released by Capitol Records in 1948. Frank Sinatra has recorded it twice in 1950 and 1961 but Peggy Lee took ownership in 1952 and it featured in that year's version of the movie The Jazz Singer which she appeared in.

----

When Richard Rodgers finally met Peggy Lee, he told her, in effect, he didn't appreciate hearing LOVER played fast -- in 4/4: "

• Members

Laura Fygi gets airplay on satellite radio. At this moment SiriuslySinatra's playing her version of The End of a Love Affair (a hit recording for Dinah Shore in 1950). I love Laura's singing, a certain wistful huskiness combined with perfect intonation and phrasing. I always remember that she's physically beautiful and a good friend of harmonica 'god' Toots Thielemans but once a year I have to look up her biography. According to Wiki:

Laura Fygi (born 27 August 1955 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch singer. For the first eight years of her life, she lived with her parents in South America. She is the daughter of a Dutch father (a manager at Philips) and an Egyptian mother.[1]

Between 1984 and 1991, Laura Fygi was a member of one of the most popular Dutch girl-bands, Centerfold, known for their hit "Dictator". During performances, the ladies dressed themselves in sexy lingerie. They had hits in the Netherlands and all over Europe. They were big in Japan.

In 1991, the ladies of Centerfold stopped performing and Laura (together with Rowan Moore) started a band called The Backlot. After one performance in Dutch theatre Paradiso, an album was expected, but Mercury Records had already asked Laura to make a solo album. This first album of hers was called Introducing, produced by Ruud Jacobs. On this album, she was accompanied by famous Belgian musician Jean "Toots" Thielemans. Most of the songs on the album are jazz.

-----

Laura's rendition of

Archived