A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's my favorite song by Burton Lane, and Nancy Wilson is singing a beautiful version of it right now on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio. (So nice to have you guys back and to read the words "the forums are back up again!")

Written for a long-forgotten film musical Royal Wedding, TOO LATE NOW was Alan Jay (My Fair Lady) Lerner's best ballad with Burton Lane; the two great songwriters had other, more famous collaborators, and long admired each other's work -- since 1947, the year Mr. Lane teamed with Yip (Over the Rainbow) Harburg, for Finian's Rainbow, while Alan Jay Lerner teamed for the first time with Fritz Lowe for Brigadoon-- both of them smash hits with great songs (though I'm forever partial to Brigadoon, which opened the night of the day I was born! (03/13/47).

The once-heard-never-forgotten melody for TOO LATE NOW has survived thanks to jazz pianists like Ellis Marsalis (Wynton's Dad) but the lyric is beloved by female jazz singers especially (it's a girl song). Shirley Horn did a great interpretation. So too, Nancy Wilson (neither of them at YouTube). Most recently Jane Monheit does a heartfelt rendition for her Taking a Chance on Love album).

My all-time favorite reading is by Nancy Lamott -- not long before she left us, just shy of her 44th birthday. Nancy's take is simply-arranged by her favorite accompanist (the auspiciously-named) pianist Christopher Marlowe. A single slide video

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
My all-time favorite reading is by Nancy Lamott -- not long before she left us, just shy of her 44th birthday.
I loved Nancy LaMott. It's a shame that she, Susannah McCorkle and Mary Cleare Haran were all taken from us too soon. In my opinion, they were three of the best interpreters of the Great American Songbook.

LCK

• Members

Thanks for the reminder, Lee. Female greats, "gone but not forgotten." Thanks too for posting (above) that classic Dinah Washington version of another song she made her own. Coincidentally (or not) I came here just now to reflect on another song Dinah 'owned' (with the haunting refrain):

But while a voice within me cries,
'I know heaven will answer my call!'
then this bitter earth, it may not . . .
be so bitter after all.

I know we've celebrated this song before -- as the best song written by Clyde Otis

• Members

It's never been a hit for anybody but Ray Charles in 1969: I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS -- composed 30 years earlier (for a deservedly forgotten Broadway show) by my melodic hero, Richard Rodgers and his first great collaborator, Lorenz (Where the hell is Larry?) Hart. It's been recorded by everyone from Doris Day (twice, 1949 and 1955) to James Taylor (sometime in the past decade) but only Ray had a sort-of hit with it, briefly on the charts 43 years ago.

After Sinatra's greatest admitted influence Billie Holiday tried her hand with it in 1956, Frank insisted on the song's inclusion in his 1957 movie

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

Um... wow. My mother in law bought me her CD a decade ago and I must it admit, I didn't get her. I see now, my mistake. ^^^ That was beautiful. That was... yeah.

Ha - Methinks the man is turning 53 and his horizons are expanding even more. ...........smile.gif

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer

View Post

Ha - Methinks the man is turning 53 and his horizons are expanding even more. ...........smile.gif

For sure but... I've always loved the classics. It's just that the CD I got were her interpretations of pop/rock classics and I didn't dig it. Imagine, etc. I love those songs, but wasn't ready for her interpretation I suppose. Either way, that sounded great. I love it, and her.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

For sure but... I've always loved the classics. It's just that the CD I got were her interpretations of pop/rock classics and I didn't dig it. Imagine, etc. I love those songs, but wasn't ready for her interpretation I suppose. Either way, that sounded great. I love it, and her.

I agree - there are good interpretations of some old favourites that I find difficult to listen to.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
It's just that the CD I got were her interpretations of pop/rock classics and I didn't dig it. Imagine, etc. I love those songs, but wasn't ready for her interpretation I suppose. Either way, that sounded great. I love it, and her.
Personally, I didn't like the fact that she sang the lyric to "Autumn Leaves" incorrectly. So I never listened to any of her other songs. Here's what I mean:

"The falling leaves drift by my window, the autumn leaves of red and gold..." is correct.

"The autumn leaves drift by my window, the autumn leaves of red and gold..." is not.

It turns out she is great singer, though.

Lee the C.K.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
It turns out she is great singer, though.

Lee the C.K.
smile.gif Yeah, that's what I walked away with today's lesson. She is great. What I love about keeping an open ear is... well... you get to hear that.

I'd try to say more but I'm enjoying my birthday libations so... good night.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
Personally, I didn't like the fact that she sang the lyric to "Autumn Leaves" incorrectly. So I never listened to any of her other songs. Here's what I mean:

"The falling leaves drift by my window, the autumn leaves of red and gold..." is correct.

"The autumn leaves drift by my window, the autumn leaves of red and gold..." is not.

Lee the C.K.
I know from personal experience how easy it is to flub that. I never know if I'm going to remember to sing it correctly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peanutroad

View Post

I know from personal experience how easy it is to flub that. I never know if I'm going to remember to sing it correctly.

I know the feeling. And I used to kick myself mentally, really hard, whenever I screwed it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived