Doh! Credit card cancelled for lack of use?

Nevrazell

• Members

My credit card was cancelled today. I have had this card for 18 years. I was never late on a payment. They said in their letter, that they cancelled the card from lack of use.

I had last used the card in july of 2009.

After emailing the company They basically said "account's closed, did you want to open a new one?"

Has this happened to anyone else?

I can't believe they would just cancel the card without warning me first.

Anyways, what card would you guys recommend I replace it with?

Ic Citibank good? Or Capitol One?

Thanks

• Members

I've heard this happening to others as well. Sucks that it was for an account you've had open for so long. Anyways, I havent had any issues with my American Express Blue card. I'd definitely recommend it if you already have a Visa or Mastercard since Amex isn't as universally accepted. Just find a card with the best cash back/rewards option and get it.

• Members

Part of the govts way of telling the credit card cos to clean house

Friend of mine said they do this to {censored} FICO score or some {censored}. Just glad I only have one I have to use for car rentals, airfare and biz. Learned a long time ago not to play the CC game. Their hand is worse than ever and they get to use all the wild cards.

Late once? rate changes

Dont use the card? they chg a svg fee or close it

They can raise rates at any time regardless of credit history. They did on another I paid off. Then when I paid it off, they sent me a bill for $6 for a one day balance. If I refused to pay that, they added $30 late fee... yeah when it was just paid off!

Other ones change the due date, and don't tell you. I had an auto draft that pulled the $ to pay and they changed the Due Date and wanted to chg me a service fee of $29. I said WTF!!!!!!!!!!

{censored} those things! You'll need at least 1 though!

• Members

Friend of mine said they do this to {censored} FICO score or some {censored}. Just glad I only have one I have to use for car rentals, airfare and biz. Learned a long time ago not to play the CC game. Their hand is worse than ever and they get to use all the wild cards.

Yep. Your credit score just took a hit.

Yeah, open a new account, with their NEW interest rates, NEW terms and conditions, and all that {censored}.

Or just bail and tell them to {censored} off.

I got rid of all my credit cards 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Yeah, it sucks for certain things, but if I really need something and don't have the cash for it, I've always found another way.

• Members

I had 2 closed last year. I hadn't used them in an age. I still have 2 that I actually use so it wasn't a problem and my credit score never flinched. I can understand card companies not wanting to have to maintenance a million card accounts that they haven't made a dime on in half a decade. It does cost these companies for inactive accounts because of mailing mandated yearly account agreements, anytime they move a period in the agreement, etc. What does one account cost them? Very little but add up all of the credit cards that are just sitting in a nightstand drawer somewhere.

(Disclaimer: I do work for a bank but not in the credit card division)

• Members

Not necessarily - if the cc company reports it as "closed by consumer" (happened to me), it will not affect your credit score. You should call and ask how they report these account closings.

• Members

Either way, if they close your account, you lose that credit history...which REALLY sucks. So all those 18 years of great credit history is gone...

This is what happened to me. I closed an account that was active for 4 years, and lost all the history from that account :facepalm:

• Members

Capital one closed one of mine. They sent me a letter that said they'd cancel it in 90 days, unless I took action to keep it open. I just let them close it though. Never had a problem getting credit so no big deal. The funny thing is now they send me credit card offers in the mail about 3 or 4 times a month.

• Members

They did you a favor.

+1

People have reported banks canceling their cards even though the cards were used regularly and their accounts were in good standing. These were people who paid their bills in full each month, depriving the bank of the opportunity to make money on their rolling balance; the meat & potatoes of the CC industry.

Bottom line, they weren't making money off of you.

If you must have a card, get one from the bank where you have checking, savings, etc. accounts.

• Members

Yeah, open a new account, with their NEW interest rates, NEW terms and conditions, and all that {censored}.

Or just bail and tell them to {censored} off.

I got rid of all my credit cards 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Yeah, it sucks for certain things, but if I really need something and don't have the cash for it, I've always found another way.

How did his credit score take a hit? If it's closed by a consumer (which is more than likely what they filed it as) than he's fine, though he won't have any credit history with that bank anymore he's score will be fine.

• Members
Either way, if they close your account, you lose that credit history...which REALLY sucks. So all those 18 years of great credit history is gone...

This is what happened to me. I closed an account that was active for 4 years, and lost all the history from that account
:facepalm:

This, it's a bigger hit losing that 18 years of history.

• Members

I had a Chase one that they just did that to.

I have/had two with them, and this one was just a backup, and hadn't had activity in at least a year or so, so they nixed it.

Once I pay off my Chase one, I'm getting a Discover.

• Members

This is what happened to me. I closed an account that was active for 4 years, and lost all the history from that account
:facepalm:

Not immediately. Generally, all your credit history information, good or bad, remains on your report for seven years. So the account information, with opening and closing dates, *should* remain there for quite a while.

• Members

I paid off my last credit card yesterday (interest charges left over from previous month) - and after closing my credit cards (to lock in a stupid-low interest rate) over a year ago, I don't miss them.

The only thing they were good for was accumulating more debt and paying someone else for the privaledge, daily, to hold the debt.

Archived