21 frets = FAIL. Seriously, how do you do it??

Travisaurus Rex

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really hows that?[/quote

EVH

Vai

Satriani

Malmsteen

Every one made alot of money playing well beyond the 7th fret.

I understand what KR means, but it doen't apply to all situations.

There not exactly money machines more cult acts (apart from Van Halen but there synth pop made them the cash), Eddy plays 21 frets too and so does Malmsteen

• Members

I don't think I've ever played the 21st fret, forget about the 22nd or 24th.

If you play leads and add harmonies, you can easily run out of high notes on a 21 or 22 fret guitar. Its more of something you run up against recording though, in my experience.

• Members
If you play leads and add harmonies, you can easily run out of high notes on a 21 or 22 fret guitar. Its more of something you run up against recording though, in my experience.

Harmonies work both higher and lower ya know :D
If you run out of space just go to a higher string and honestly anything that high on the high e is too much anyway, at least for me. 21 frets is perfectly fine by me.

• Members

There not exactly money machines more cult acts (apart from Van Halen but there synth pop made them the cash), Eddy plays 21 frets too and so does Malmsteen

All those mentioned are highly successful, not "cult acts"...I'm sure the checks they receive for their work don't say "cult act" on them.

EVH was successful loooong before their synthpop days (I'm assuming you mean "Jump")

You don't have to be played on commercial radio to be successful; just ask Frank Zappa (if he were still around, that is) or most major jazz, blues and classical musicians)....and the 21-fret thing wasn't what I was referring to :)

• Members

It kinda bugs me, but its more in looks I think.

I can deal without during playing...

This too. I never said anything about needing 24 or more frets. 22 is just fine. I play a lot of Satch, Vai Petrucci kind of stuff and I use 22 more often than not. A lot of you guys don't play leads or anything other than pentatonic scales and can deal with 21 frets. I prefer to use every bit of the fretbaord including 22 frets. Oh and Sheik, I have family in Jacksonville. Next time I head that way I will give you a call. You coming to ampfest?

• Members

This too. I never said anything about needing 24 or more frets. 22 is just fine. I play a lot of Satch, Vai Petrucci kind of stuff and I use 22 more often than not. A lot of you guys don't play leads or anything other than pentatonic scales and can deal with 21 frets. I prefer to use every bit of the fretbaord including 22 frets. Oh and Sheik, I have family in Jacksonville. Next time I head that way I will give you a call. You coming to ampfest?

I play leads 95% of the time, NEVER pentatonic, and rarely ever go above fret 19.

Archived