21 frets = FAIL. Seriously, how do you do it??

Travisaurus Rex

• Members

I was at the Scam Ask store today trying out a Jet City amp they recently got in and I was trying different guitars. I grabbed a Strat off the wall to hear it with the singles and I did not realize it only had 21 frets until I was playing a solo and my fingers got lost at the end of the road. I cannot do it. As great as they sound and play, I CANNOT deal with a guitar that has only 21 frets. I always end up using it. I know Yngwie, Johnson, Clapton and others do it but I need my 22nd fret. How do you guys do it? I have passed up some great guitars because they failed the fret count.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I was at the Scam Ask store today trying out a Jet City amp they recently got in and I was trying different guitars. I grabbed a Strat off the wall to hear it with the singles and I did not realize it only had 21 frets until I was playing a solo and my fingers got lost at the end of the road. I cannot do it. As great as they sound and play, I CANNOT deal with a guitar that has only 21 frets. I always end up using it. I know Yngwie, Johnson, Clapton and others do it but I need my 22nd fret. How do you guys do it? I have passed up some great guitars because they failed the fret count.

You are only losing 3 frets on the smallest string, what's the big problem?

• Members
That can only work sometimes depending on the song.

I'm not knocking you guys that have a 21 fret guitar, it is just not for me. I used to play 24 frets but I switched to 22 and I actually prefer it.

22 is pretty much perfect for me. Trust me though, if the guitar were sweet enough, you'd learn to deal after a while! :thu:

• Members

ha! y'know-- i never really much thought about it EVER.. but in my first band-- we wrote a song, and i usually played it on my LP. i got a tele as a backup- which i loved.

anyhow-- long story short-- broke a string on the gibson first time i ever brought it out as backup. grabbed the tele... went for that fret... it wasn't there! i fretted the body... :facepalm: didn't sound very good... :D

but seriously.. that was the ONLY time i ever found any deficiency in a shorter neck...

• Members

Lol I use two main guitars with 24 frets an 25.5" scales... I never use the 24th fret, just makes it easier to get to the 22nd.

If it weren't for playing other people's songs, which I don't do that often and tapping I'd have no problem playing a 21 fret guitar probably, I'd prefer 22 though. and I'm a modern player.

24 frets is also cool beacuse you complete the octave. :thu:

Archived